1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I need someone smarter than me.....

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by menageriekeeper, Oct 9, 2006.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

To tell me why I can recieve e-mail with my outlook express thingy but I can send from it? Please, please, please........

The fact that I've never used outlook (more than once or twice) might be the biggest problem. :confused:

2. Pete

Pete New Member

heh and who should spot thread but the stupidest bloke on the BB :) Oh well, while I'm here:

"Tools", "Accounts", "Mail", select your email account, "Properties", "Servers", check that SMTP server is correct one for the account :)

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Pretty good!

Wayne

4. menageriekeeper

it seems to be the "pop" server that is the problem. But what do I know?

Nope, I'm wrong, I wasn't interpreting the error message correctly.

Now I'm on the hunt for the correct SMTP...sigh.....Sometimes I hate computers.

#4 menageriekeeper, Oct 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2006
  5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

The POP3 server is your incoming mail server, so if you can recieve mail its fine. The SMTP server is your outgoing mail.

6. preacher

preacher New Member

May be the same as yur pop server...try that & see what happens.
    AND Really MK....thats a dangerous title for a thread round folks like me, BH,.........& Geener!!!!

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

What a disappointment! I read "I need someone smarter than me", with the apparent (by looking at the whole board) author of "preacher", and I came a-runnin over with my list!

*sigh*

Ok MK, I tried to use that once and it didn't work for me either. I didn't take the time to figure it out. Didn't care enough.

My big smart plan? Quit trying! What's the point in it? Just use a web-based email. Want to be able to read your email offline? Copy it while you're online and stick it in a file!
    Want to write it offline? Write it in wordpad, then copy and paste it.

LOL
    Aren't you glad I stopped by to help? :flower:

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I guess we found some one smarter!

:flower:

:saint:

9. preacher

preacher New Member

Didn't take too long either!!

10. menageriekeeper

smarter or smart aleckier! :D

What I really need is return receipt ability on the e-mails I send to the school. I didn't know till yesterday that such a thing existed.

I have been having problems with the school not receiving all my e-mails even though the e-mails didn't bounce back to me. (we will not talk bad about the school's tech people, no matter how tempting it is :mad: ) This return receipt thingy is something the school wanted me to see to.

Hotmail will do it and be compatible with Outlook, if I want to pay for a subscription. Why would I want to pay for a subscription when I can e-mail through my internet provider? But I still can't get outlook to send.

So what you are saying is to put the pop thingy on the line meant for the smtp tag? I can try that.

11. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you don't have it fixed yet, go to your IP's website and see if you can find the settings for email. Or call them. Some small providers use some weird addresses.

At the top go to View and then pick options and the receipt options are listed.

12. preacher

preacher New Member

Example to try....if mine was set to gmail it would read thus...
    pop-server.gmail.com
    smtp-server.gmail.com

13. kubel

kubel New Member

Problem: Your host/ISP might have a pop-before-smtp implimented.
    Solution: Check your email just before you send.

Problem: Your host may be blocking port 25 out (which results in blocking all non-ISP SMTP servers).
    Solution: Either use your ISPs SMTP server, or contact your ISP and request an opt-out of the port 25 block.

Problem: Your SMTP server is down.
    Solution: Check to see if your SMTP server is down by telnetting to it:

WOOOOOOO!! TIGERS GOING TO WORLD SERIES!!! Sorry..

Start > Run > if you have XP or 2000 type in "cmd" (if you have older windows, "command"). Press enter.

In the black window, type "telnet yoursmtpserver.com 25" without quotes and press enter. If it connects, it means your server is up and your ISP isn't blocking it.

If it says connection failed, it either means your SMTP server is down or your ISP is blocking it.

Hope this helps.