1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I Own A Business...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, Mar 29, 2015.

1. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

As with a previous post, these examples are not the same. Creating something for their wedding ceremony is different than all these examples.

2. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    does delivering them paper constitute celebrating their abomination they want to try and call marriage? does giving them a ride and repair a vehicle constitute participation in their sin?

the answer is no.
    These examples you give are extremely misleading...

There is a huge difference in the nature on making a celebratory cake and repairing a car.

3. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jordan Kurecki..., "There is a huge difference in the nature on making a celebratory cake and repairing a car."

...what if I was repairing their vehicle so they could make it to the wedding on time? Or driving them to the wedding in my taxicab? Or delivering their newspapers for them to seek out the local "Wedding Announcements"?

It just seems to me that you can get more flies with honey than you can with vinegar. A good testimony is like that proverbial picture that's worth a thousand words. We are to hate the sin..., love the sinner. Jesus didn't come to save the righteous but He came to save the sinner.

Otherwise, ya'll keep right on down the road. Remember, I'm a cake baker and that's what I do for my living. When someone wants a cake I see a creation of mine no matter what they do with it after the fact. If a member of your church would you accept my tithes from my Cake Baking Business? If a homosexual was destitute on the side of the road would you call him an ambulance?

4. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So it’s all about your art and money??? There are no principles to consider? Ever? And you should have no right to refuse your service based on your beliefs and morals?

I don't think you can reasonably stand by your statement: no matter what they do with it after the fact

If you were the owner of a paint and someone was buying spray paint to huff it– you’re there to sell paint – period - cha-ching…

I mean, who are you to define what constitutes the definition of marriage anyhow???

As the owner of a cake shop when someone into bestiality comes in to order a wedding cake and asks for a donkey or sheep on top – you create it for them - cha-ching…

A polygamist wants two brides on top – cha-ching…

Someone wants a big groom and a little groom on top of the cake – cha-ching…

Nah, when it comes down to it it’s all about boundary lines and the government establishing moral guidelines onto the public while dictating who they must give service to. We need to be very careful when allowing the government to take away protection of rights to refuse service in our private businesses. I say we should have the freedom to be a draw our own line and refuse to give service according to moral principles – let them go elsewhere – it’s a free country or it is not - do not give them right to force our service where we do not wish to give it.

5. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

#25 Inspector Javert, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015
  6. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...me thinks some of you folks need to mature and in the process, step down from your self-imposed and self-righteous plateau of Holier-Than-Thou lofty position of Holy Discernment. Cha-ching... :wavey:

Frankly, I don't give a camel's hind end what some of you (or all of you) think as none of you walk in my shoes nor will any of you have to account for me and my actions at the appointed time. :thumbsup:

I am totally against same sex marriage!

If I were against Born Again Baptist Believers would it be right for me to refuse YOU a service for which I am in business to otherwise provide? I mean, I might be a Buddhist follower so therefore I'd be justified in discriminating against either you, Inspector Javert, or you, Benjamin?

Get a grip, folks.

7. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why did you start this thread? Seeking personal reinforcement?

8. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think that the one that baked a cake for a gay marriage would be in error if he/she did not know what it was for? Should the baker ask for clarification of the customer's orientation before baking any cakes?

Again, I would say it is for the individual to decide where they draw the line in rendering a service which might be considered supporting gays. The refusal to deny services should be, in this country, up to the owner, at least in terms of common sense.

If objections are made because that person feels it violates "religious" principles, we should be free to maintain our position without interference from the government. When the government steps in and says we have to...the line is crossed.

The individual decision of the business owner, if related to religious objection, is something to be worked out in a religious setting, not governmental.

What we can say is that there is an opportunity for the owner to witness in a number of ways to those he is approached by. Refusing to write the names might be one line that can be drawn, and the customer could have it done elsewhere or find another bakery. This can present the owner's position without an outright refusal that would hinder governmental interference.

In this situation, I suggest that there can be an attempt on both parts to glorify themselves, rather than God.

As far as the Pope's statement, the saying is a picture is worth a thousand words, which implies a picture already in existence and does not lend itself to conflicting concepts.

In the Lord's day open homosexuality in Israel was not something that is seen as common from Scripture, and it is doubtful one would approach Him with such a request. Herod did not even approach Him though he was desirous to speak with Him. We do see John protest adultery, which ended in his death. But again John was not approached for an endorsement, and when homosexuals use this particular scenario to further their agenda then that would be a cause for refusal, in my opinion.

My business does not allow for me to know who many of the customers I provide services for are before already called in. I think it would be trifling to show up and refuse service due to their orientation. I do not see this as glorifying God, but accommodating my own feelings about gays, and possibly negating an intentional meeting between the Lord and these people.

God bless.

9. Inspector Javert

10. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're beating a dead horse, Inspector..., but carry on as it appears you're in the fault finding business.

As I clearly said..., early on..., if I bake a cake what the customer does with it is not my fault nor will I be held accountable for their actions. If you lead someone down the isle and they make a profession of faith and on the way home said convert murders someone..., is that your problem? Will you be held accountable for their actions? Did you aide and abet said murder? If I bake a cake am I aiding and abetting homosexual life styles? They are already here..., amongst us..., and they ain't goin' away.

So, end of subject. I do have a life to live and I'm not going to waste much more time entertaining you folks.

11. Inspector Javert

#31 Inspector Javert, Mar 30, 2015
  12. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some would say yes. That does not mean that they need to "grow up".
    Again, if you did not want your ears scratched, why did you begin this thread?

13. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rolf..., I'm too old and been down the road too many miles to have my "ears scratched" by any of God's Right Hand Men on this forum. As I said, it's time for some to grow up.

..."go away boy you bother me."

14. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This post says much about you.

You still have not said why you started this thread.

15. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what so many seem to be saying is if you bake wedding cakes, supply the place for weddings or receptions, have a limo service, are a photographer or a florist and refuse to cater to gays you are a person of strong conviction.

If you do anything else and cater to gays you are just doing a job and not supporting the lifestyle.

Got it. :thumbs:

16. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's funny how over the months that the "wedding cake" has become the metric of everyone's personal conviction. We really need to find another example. :laugh:

#36 Use of Time, Mar 30, 2015
  17. matt wade

What you should get out of this thread is this: You guys think it is perfectly fine for a pastor to decide who they will do weddings for. After all, a pastor has the right to stick to their convictions. If a baker decides to stick to their convictions and not bake a cake for the same wedding, they are a bigot.

18. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm appalled at the "all or nothing" mentality of this situation. See, this is the beauty of the capitalist system: don't like the service? Don't like the way they treated you? Then don't do business with them. Enough people don't like them, and don't do business with them, and guess what? They're not doing business anymore.

Instead, we have this mentality of "you WILL provide me what I want, period."

I like what church mouse guy wrote in another thread, and I apologize if it's already been said here: Ask a gay cakemaker to make a "celebrate heterosexuality" themed cake. Will we still see a willing making of the cake?

19. matt wade

Completely agree with you. Government should not force private business to be in business with anyone they don't want to be.

20. Inspector Javert

#40 Inspector Javert, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2015