1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Peter 1:5

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salamander, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Sure! God is full of faith. He measures out His faithfulness to all, and all who will believe can receive grace unto salvation. ("whosever will" means all who will and all can).

Faith begins with Him, it does not begin with man, else God is an invention of man's faith.

If all of creation begins with God's speaking it all into existence,and it does, then everything thing God created which was good comes directly from Him and through His faithfulness/ God is full of faith.

Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Even creation declares the glory of God and faith is created in the mind of belief towards God through His glory.

The Cross is the Glory of God in that what looked like the mortal end of Christ was actually the salvation of man. His Resurrection is our victory as He is victorious over our arch enemies: satan, death, hell, and the grave!:godisgood:

Me hot and bothered?:laugh:

Exposing a lie doesn't require heated emotion.

2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Yeah ya did. What you have said makes it look like it is totally up to us and from our being that we believe, but belief comes from both creation and the word of God, it originates from God and is not a mindwork of man.
    Better go back and read a few previous verses . What you are twisting the Scriptures into negates the need for the Blood of Christ for everyone before Calvary into that all one had to do was believe God and they were instantly righteous.

Abraham still had to be redeemed before he was ever saved.
    Quote:
    6 And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness. (Gen. 15:6 - NKJV)

3For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
    4Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
    5But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom. 4:3-5 - NKJV)

To have righteousness accounted to him, yes. I knew that all along. But he still waqsn't redeemed/regenrated until he received the Finished work on Calvary.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You are being illogical.
    Faith needs an object.
    If God is full of faith, what is the object of God's faith?

4. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I'm sorry, I don't arbitrate the Word of God, I just believe it because God said it.
    Now you're nit-picking. I relate the word of God and didn't quote it.

Faith is the evidence of things not seen/ yet, and the substance of things hoped for/ will come. Faith is then tangible, otherwise it is blind faith.

Comply to what? I never mentioned versions, but I did point out the differences between what you offered and what the Bible says.
    Your welcome to personally think anything you wish, but to understand the Bible you must relate to an earlier understanding of our language than rather apply modernistic thinking and averted definitions to Greek and Hebrew. But you said this isn't a versions issue anyway.

Yeah He did:

Main Entry: 1au·thor [​IMG]
    Pronunciation: 'o-th&r
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English auctour, from Anglo-French auctor, autor, from Latin
    1 a : one that originates or creates : [SIZE=-1]SOURCE[/SIZE] <software authors> <film authors> <the author of this crime> b capitalized : [SIZE=-1]GOD [/SIZE]1

Main Entry: 1fin·ish [​IMG]
    Pronunciation: 'fi-nish
    Function: verb
    Etymology: Middle English finisshen, from Anglo-French finiss-, stem of finir, from Latin finire, from finis
    transitive verb
    1 : to bring to completion or issue
    Neither is it me. I have never said that the gift of faith is imparted specially, nor specifically to any one group, for that matter.

All I have ever said is that faith comes from Him who is faithfull. It is because He is faithful that I am kept by His power through the faith I was given by measure when I was created. It is a God-given ability that every man, note: every man! is born with. It is then up to that man to have faith in God, thus believe. But I still maintain, and the Scripture does as well, that faith comes from God, else we are a creature who has created a "god" by our "faith".

#64 Salamander, Apr 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2007
  5. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Ok, ok, I'll play along:laugh:

God is full of faith, that is what faithfull means:full of faith/ FAITH-FULL.

God has no object to direct His faith towards, He is faith, or at least full of faith from the start.

Does God need grace? No, He is full of grace/ graceful.

Does God need mercy? No, He is full of mercy/ merciful.:godisgood:

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

No, I have never 'negated' "the need for the Blood of Christ for everyone before Calvary" at all. I have merely not mentioned it, but assumed the once and for all time sacrifice there. And Abraham's redemption, just as yours or mine, occurred at Calvary, for "it was not possible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sin." The sacrifices before the cross, merely 'covered up' the sin(s), so to speak, putting them under lock and key, until the offering of "the Lamb without spot or blemish, that taketh away the sin of the whole world". Then and only then was 'redemption" accomplished, although God saw it as occurring "as the Lamb that was slain from the foundation of the world".

"Regeneration", is a different matter. It occurs at the point of believing in God's revelation of himself to us. In Abraham's case it occurred in Gen. 15:6, when He believed in the Lord. This is the one an only instance where this is historically mentioned in Scripture. In the case of, say, Nicodemus, it happened during or after John 3. Nicodemus had more revelation given him, than did Abraham. In the case of the woman at the well of Sychar, it apparently happend during her conversation with Jesus. In the case of the thief, it occurred when he was actually watching Jesus give his life for our sins - still more 'revealing'. In the case of James 'the Just', apparently this happened after the resurrected Lord showed Himself to his own brother - still more revelation, culminating in what we have today. But all were and are saved by faith - plus and minus nothing.

As Habbakuk says, "Now the just shall live by his faith...." Three times this is quoted in the NT, in slightly varying forms. I believe it, and in the Lord Jesus Christ, hence I am saved according to Scripture. (Acts 16:31)

Ed

#66 EdSutton, Apr 2, 2007
  7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

(At least) Three observations: (Plus "a Tip of the Hatlo Hat" to a couple of nice "ad hominem" shots!) :rolleyes:

One, one cannot "relate" the (written) "Word of God", and not take into account what the Scriptures actually say, and less than that, claim it is related when a verse says something else, IMO.

Two, this post I am quoting from, is a thinly disguised shot at a version other than the one the author, in this case Salamander, is actually using, by implying that your preferred version is somehow superior to another, a contention that I, not to mention "the powers that be on the BB", reject.

Thirdly, this post implies that one must somehow accurately understand "English" from four centuries ago (of course, updated in the mid 1700s :rolleyes:) in order to understand the language, and hence the Bible, now. This is purely and simply hogwash! What about a person who does not and never did speak English, say, Luther, Melanchthon, Staupitz, Calvin, Beza, or Arminius, Augustine, or whomever? Let's take it one step further. What about Jesus, Paul, John, Moses,David or any other Biblical characters and writers? AS far as I can tell, not one of them spoke English, as the language we know as 'English' had not even come into existence, yet.

No one on the BB quotes from the 1611 KJV any more than Ed Edwards. Not once have I seen him put down any other legitimate version. But I sure have seen it from others. I hope and pray you don't choose to join them!

Ed

#67 EdSutton, Apr 2, 2007
  8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You cannot define a word from the adjective from whence the adjective comes from. You have things backwards. Go back to English class. Because a person is faithful, that is because he is loyal, does not mean he has faith. The two have nothing in common. Stephen was "full of faith" the Bible says. But it doesn't say that he was faithful, though he probably was. The two words have nothing in common. If you have a dictionary, I suggest you use it, and use it properly. Use the words in sentences to make sure they make sense.

Faith needs an object. What is the object of your faith? The object of my faith is Jesus Christ.
    The object of the Muslim's faith is Allah.
    The object of a Hindu's faith is Brahma.
    The object of many a rich man's faith is his money.
    What is the object of your faith?

What is the object of God's (so-called) faith?
    Does he have faith in himself? That is a ridiculous concept. To suggest such is to suggest that God is imperfect; that he is deficient in some way. If that is so then God is not God. Perhaps he is your god, but he is not the God of the Bible. I do not serve a deficient God who needs faith. He would be incocmplete. He didn't create the world and the universe because he had the faith to do so. He created them ex nihilo, out of nothing, and by the word of his mouth. He spoke thme into existence. He didn't need faith. He spoke and it was done. He doesn't need faith; we are the ones in need of faith.

Some day we will need no faith. We walk by faith and not by sight. When Jesus comes (or when we see Jesus), which ever comes first; then faith will end. Some day faith will be finished completely. There will be no more faith on the part of any individual for we shall see God as he is.
    We walk by faith and not by sight.
    Some day we will walk by sight. Faith will no longer be needed.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Got to admit how appropriate for a "salamander" to use the phrase "slimepit for slimies". :laugh:

Where his posts belong, for certain. Good word picture!!

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Instead of trying to play semantics prove your position from Scripture. We know that there are many Scriptures saying that God is faithful. We can all agree on that. But faithful and "faith" are not the same thing, not even related. Demonstrate from Scripture that God has faith.

11. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Abraham still had to receive forgiveness of sins through the Blood Atonement, it is not synco-sematic.

Nope! We're saved by grace through faith/ faith is the vehicle which allows grace to come our way. Without faith it is impossible to please God.

Regeneration is what happens when a soul rests solely upon the work of Calvary to deliver him from being dead in tresspasses and sins and then being quickened by the Spirit. Abraham, and all the rest, looked towards Calvary for an expected redemption, but until Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." was redemption possible. Then His Blood still had to be "sprinkled" upon the Mercy Seat for redemption/ regenration to be complete. thus the importance of Paradise/ Abraham's Bosom, as the holding place until Calvary.

Me too!:godisgood:

12. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Sorry, but i only responded to what you said in hopes you'd see some light.:laugh:

So you'd separate preaching the word of God from the Word of God????

Yeah, I know what the "powers that be on BB" reject, but that would be to their own destruction.

The only superiorority is in the text in relating the Originals in their meaning. Uh, so we all might understand the Bible.

Antiquating the language as to make it archaic is rather foolish when you consider from where all of our English language is derived.

All my word studies confirm what the Bible says in English. What about yours? Not.

Your symposium would hinder anyone from knowing what the Bible says in any language except they were present in the time the word of God was given. A very dangerous approach to hermanuetics.

I don't "put down" any version that portrays what the Bible says, but when it is either lacking or definitely wrong, that version accomplishes that all by itsself.

13. Salamander

Salamander New Member

:laugh: :laugh:
    What's wrong, you don't like the Merriam-Webster Dictionary?

Who is faithful.
    Which none you listed are faithful and therefore allow those who place their faith in them to perish with them.

You mean you don't don't know?

The Hebrew word is bara concerning creation from absolutely nothing.

You're implying something totally against what the Bible teaches and thereby allows, by your attempt, to validate other's faiths as being acceptable, in that as long as you're earnest in your faith it would be, to God.

God places no faith in any objest, but He KNOWS all who will receive Christ will partake of His faithfulness. God is the very essence of faith. Anything else is a false hope, wouldn't you agree?

See? We agree!:godisgood:

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Hey, at least it got the slugmaster's attention.:laugh:

15. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Ok, but first let me ask you a direct question: is Jesus God?

Yes. To whom did the Lord place His faith upon?

Didn't Jesus say, "Into Thy hands I commend my spirit"? Yes. If this isn't a perfect example, from Scripture, of God the Son placing His faith in God the Father then you don't really believe the Bible.:sleeping_2:

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

NO it isn't an example of faith at all. Are you suggesting his faith could have failed (if indeed it was faith). That takes away from the deity of Christ, and makes Christ purely human. It is a heresy. In one sense it does show the human side of Christ. He hungered. He thirsted. He was tired. He stumbled under the cross. He could have called six legions of angels, but he didn't. No, your example doesn't prove anything, for he didn't exercise any of those divine powers on the cross, even though he was perfect God and perfect man at the same time. If he didn't die as perfect man he couldn't die and make atonement for our sins. It wasn't human faith (as such) that he needed--not in the sense that we know. With us there is always the element of the possiblity of failure. With Christ there was no element of failure. He committed his life in the hands of the Father, with 100% assurance that it would be so; not 99% assurance, but complete assurance. He was perfect. We are not.
    Now show from the Bible where God, in his divine attributes, has faith.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If you agree with me that we walk by faith and not by sight and that someday faith will end--when we see Christ. Then how is it possible that God has faith. If faith will be ended, finished completely someday, which you agreed to, how is it possible that God has faith? He has faith now, but won't have faith in the future. Does your God change with the seasons? My God changes not. He is immutable.

18. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Not at all, Jesus completely depended upon His Father to do exactly how He has done.

You seem to want to demand that there was no human side of Jesus, but that doesn't matter, because then you'll have a very hard time convincing God of that.

Are you saying God died?

In His humanity, yes, Jesus died. He also had faith in His Father to deliver His soul from hell, in His humanity. So to deny that God has faith in this particular area is heresy.

Maybe the problem here is that you cannot differentiate the difference between man's faith in God and the faith Jesus had with His Father?

Still, we couldn't have faith if God hadn't been faithful.

It's His being faithful that assures my faith in Him.

If faith isn't a gift, then it is a work of the flesh, that is HERESY!

Tell me from ANY source, where faith originates?:D

19. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Glad you've got the Lord all figured out, I don't, but I know He is faithful.

Just as Jesus in His humanity had faith in the Father, I too, can be like Him and have faith in the Father.

You do understand that Jesus is our example, for we could not know God as we do without His first being manifest.

In th humanity side of the Lord he definitely had faith in God according to John 17, deny it and you deny the Lord's Prayer.

Jesus also has faith that the Holy Ghost will lift up the Son and point others to Christ.

My God changeth not. WE're speaking of the Same God, it's just you don't see something so obvious, at least I can see the forest because of the trees.:godisgood: :jesus: :godisgood:

20. Salamander

Salamander New Member

BTW, my faith will end in sight. Wanna know why? Because I have the promise of God it will!:jesus: :jesus: :jesus: Sweetest name I know! Fills my every longing, Keeps me singing as I go!:sleeping_2: