1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Peter 1:5

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salamander, Mar 22, 2007.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If your faith will end in sight, and God still has faith, then you are greater than God! Amazing!!

2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

What's amazing is how you take my faith and try to turn it into God's faith, y'know, where my faith originated.

Is it your way of perverting things that compels you?

Where did your faith originate?

I already know, it began when God gave you the measure of faith from His faithfulness when you were conceived.

Tell me where else faith originated if not as I just said?

You've dodged this request repeatedly.

May the God of all grace Bless you, faithfully.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your faith did not originate from God, and neither did mine. The gift of faith as spoken of in the Bible was a spiritual and temporary gift of the first century which is no longer in existence today, and really has nothing to do with this conversation. You have used that verse out of context. Even if it did apply today, a spiritual gift would never be given to an unbeliever that he may be saved. The concept is ridiculous.
    Faith does not originate with God.

Every man exercises faith. I already have given you many examples which you ignore. What is faith. It is belief, trust, confidence. It is those simple things that a child has--faith or confidence that their parents will feed, clothe and protect them--not throw them out in the middle of the street, and abandon them there to starve and die. They have faith that their parents will provide for them. Their confidence is in their parents, not in God. God didn't give them that faith. It is innate. They are not Christians at that point. They don't have the capacity to understand the gospel; but they do have the capacity to understand that it is their parents that will care for them; therefore it is their parents that they trust; that they put their "faith" in. That is an example of faith.

When I purchase a ticket, for example, from Toronto to New York, I don't go to the air port, and by blind faith point to the various planes and go: eenie meeni mynie mo, and wherever my finger lands try and board that plane in faith that it will take me to the right destination. That is blind faith, and not based on fact. My faith is based on intellectual fact. It is based on the facts of the Word of God. It does not come from God, but rather God's revelation to me.

Faith comes by hearing and hearing from the word of God.
    That is the origin of Biblical faith. Biblical faith must come from the Bible, by hearing the Word of God. It has no other source but the Word of God. It comes from one preaching the gospel. It comes from hearing the Word of God. God does not give you faith. You attain faith by hearing the word of God. And when you believe that the Word of God is true, that what it says is true, you put your faith, your confidence in its promises and believe that Christ died for you, and become saved. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved. It is faith that saves. The faith is not from God, but it comes from hearing the Word of God. It comes from you because you become confident in the message that you hear that you are ready to believe it.

That is true in any realm, in any field: whether it be in the word of another person, the word of a scientist, a bus driver, a friend, your wife or child, etc. How much confidence do you put in the words of the people around you? How much faith do you have in others?
    How much faith do you have in the Word of God, and in the author of that Word? That is the question. That faith does not come directly from God Himself. It must come from you. God gave you a will to choose. It is up to you to choose to believe or not. God is not forcing you to believe (have faith). That is what you are inferring. God will not do that. And that is why faith does not originate with God. You must make the decision yourself. Will you accept him or reject him? You decide! By faith! Not God's faith (no such thing). You must decide yourself.

4. Salamander

Salamander New Member

The Bible corrects you multiple times.

Jesus is from everlasting. Galatians 2:20 tells me that the life I now live in Christ is by the faith of Jesus Christ.

Yes.
    I haven't ignored anything you said, well, at least to the point of disregarding all the hoopla you push in certain areas.
    A far greater example of faith is when a person comes to the realization there is an Omnipotent God who has His angels watching over our lives and is earnestly waiting and yearning for our compliance to the Gospel to excercise the measure of faith given to every man to trust the Lord .
    It is not as the very carnal way you just espoused.

That would be faith with no supposed object, that example is ridiculous.

My faith has evidences that would hold up in a court of law and substance I can depend upon to encourage me and guide me in the path the Holy Ghost would want for me. That is true faith as only God can and does give, anything else is either materialistic or just plain blind faith.

Sure he does, He gave us His word.
    If something is to be attained it has to have a source, that source of our faith come from His being Faithful BECAUSE He gave us the word of God. Without it there is no faith to attain.

Holy men were inspired as God moved upon their hearts to gives us the word of God. You persistently ignore the source.
    Let him who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Without having ears to hear by faith, no faith would ever be excersized. The source of hearing is the Lord, spiritually speaking.

I have more faith in God.
    You asked two questions. Answers:
    1. As far as confidence? I know I have the word of God.
    2. I had more faith in God before I read much of the Bible or even heard much preaching. You seem to forget that even the heavens declare the glory of God.
    Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God. The word of God I hold in my hands came from God. It's what He chose to cause man to be able to read His word to increase his faith that a man might be saved. You seem to have things a little bit confused, still.

If the word by which we hear and belive gives us faith, then it came from God and so also does faith.

You'll never get around that no matter how much carnal or humanistis thinking you add to the "mixture".

Faith or trust?

Faith comes from His faithfulness, trust comes from experience of faith.
    God gave me a will to obey or disobey, but He gave all men the measure of faith so that they might believe and might be saved.
    I have never inferred any such a thing.

Faith is the seed planted within every man's heart, without it no man could begin to believe.
    I already accepted Christ, 14 years ago. I didn't "decide' to believe Him, I learned without trusting in only Him, I would be left to myself/ not a pretty picture. ( although I already know I am better looking than you, my mirror tells me so every morning:laugh: )

God allowed me to have faith in Him, the same as every man ever born, or not.

Your hypothesis would say every child who didn't learn the Scripture dies and goes to a devil's hell.

I would rethink your theology, simply due to the fact yours makes God out to be a tyrant to send innocent, not yet convicted, not yet accountable, children to a place prepared for the devil and his fallen angels.

It is the awareness of sin that kills the spirit and that is why a man must be born again. It separates us from our God and only an excersizing of the seed of faith given to every man will a man trust in Christ, or God forbid, trust in a false religion.

Men who believe there is a God and those who deny God go to the same hell except those who will receive His Christ and repent of their sin. That is the very element of faith.

Without God, faith in God doesn't exist.

You, on the other hand, insist I am saying that God has to have a human faith. I have never said any such a thing.

I have also never believed one shred of what is offered to try and support calvinism, of which this discussion has had no presumed involvement.

The entirety of creation, as we are allowed to know it, exists and originates from God, including and limited to faith.

Faith is not a creation in the minds of men. Faith therefore MUST be an element of God, else there is no God.

BUT! Have I got something to tell you!

I didn't even know John 3:16 or especially II Cor 5:17 before I got saved, but after I read them, I was sure that is what happened to me!

God changed me without excersizing a faith that He would. It was a supernatural change so real I KNOW it! But i excersized the faith that He allowed me to have so I might call upon Him in the time of need of salvation.

I called, He answered. I didn't just "decide"!:praying:

#84 Salamander, Apr 5, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I do not think that is a correct rendering of Gal. 2:20, in today's English. Apparently many Bible Translators agree that the KJV is incorrectly rendered in the 20th and 21st Century English, although it may have been perfectly rendered in the early 17th Century. Language uses change, sometimes. (First and last editions copyright cited, where more than one exist.)
    It is by faith in the Son of God.
    Amen, Bro. Salamander. You said it. So we agree on this????

Ed

6. Salamander

Salamander New Member

We can agree on the ears to hear, but the faith of Christ in that his Father would deliver him from hell is also the same faith that all who will come to him according to the Gospel will be saved.

It's not actually faith in Christ that saves, else all one would have to do is believe yet not repent.

Salvation is of God, not "in" God. Though through salvation we are found in Him, salvation is the operation of God that saves.

I believe there is much we agree on, but faith is granted to us by the power of the Gospel which comes from God.

We are kept by the power of God through the granted faith that originated from the Gospel.

We would not dare say the Gospel of Jesus Christ is not from, and of God ,without exemplifying a heretical view of the Scripture.

The words "of" and "in" are not synonomous. "Of" meaning belonging to. Meant the same then and the same now.

"In" would mean within the realm, or inside what consists of the realm/inclusion.

On that wise, I cannot agree with you by the version examples you provided.

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Not believe/faith in Christ that saves? I would like to say what I believe that is, but since the word is frowned on by the "powers that be" on the BB, I will instead quote a Bible verse that gives my sentiments on this teaching.
    I am not willing to label anyone an "h******", but suggest that this idea is definitely Biblically in error, for it is making an attempted distinction that Scripture does not make.
    Mt. 18:6; Mk 9:42; Jo. 1:12; 6:29; 7:5; 9:35, 36; 12:37; 14:1; 16:9; 17:1; Ro. 4:24; 10:14; Ph'lp 1:29 & I Pet. 1:21 also all speak of believing in God, In Jesus, or in His name, as well. I suggest t here is something to this, given the number of verses that speak of this very thing.

While I do not disagree in any way that salvation is "of" God, it is not a Biblical error to also say that salvation is "in" God .

I wopuld respectfully disagree with your insisted use of the phrase "granted faith", for this implies, as DHK has noted, an idea that 'faith is given'. The only ocurence of faith being implied as a 'gift', is a 'spiritual gift', as I have previously noted, in Rom. 12:3.

And your idea that "of" and "in" are not synonomous is entirely correct in the English language. That does not hold true for the Greek Language, which is the language of the NT. (As always, I cannot speak to the OT Hebrew and/or Chaldee/Aramaic, for I know none. And I admit, I did not search for any OT usage of any phrase or words for this post.) But there is no Greek word for "of", to my knowledge, unlike "in" which is rendered and derived (usually) from either 'eis' (into) or 'en' (in). "Of" in the NT is derived from the genitive and/or ablative case usage. But there is no word for it, in koine Greek, to my knowledge.

As to what we agree on, and/or disagree on, I still think that our major area of disagreement(s) would be "dervied theology" and "Lordship salvation". It seems that that is where my disagreements with about anyone wind up. I have been accused of not believing in repentance. That is absolutely false. I do believe that the repentance that is part andf parcel of salvation is a "change of mind", and is the 'flip-side', so to speak, of "believe/faith in Jesus Christ". One can, I guess, "repent of sin", whatever that means, but that alone does not save anyone. But one who 'repents toward God', does not do so, aside from having "faith toward the Lord Jesus Christ", and vice versa.
    That, and that alone is the repentance 'required' for salvation. Gotta' run and feed the cattle before dark.

Ed

#87 EdSutton, Apr 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2007
  8. Salamander

Salamander New Member

May I suggest you make a distinction between two things? Especially after you "artificially" called me a heretic?

1. believe vs believeth

2. believe in vs believe on

I never said any different.

Amazing; it's a "gift" then it's not a gift?

Faith comes by hearing the word of God. Are you somehow suggesting the word of God isn't given by God?

May be I am wrong on this one, but it seems to me that a gift "comes" from the One giving.; et al: the hearing that brought faith came from God.

So then you have just shown how the English word "of" is not synonomous with the Greek word "eis", but you failed to give the meaning in Galations 2:20 which shows us all that it is the faith "OF" Jesus Christ with which we live our new lives IN Him.

The meaing is what is relevent, not a word for word translation, we all KNOW that is not possible, especially since some koine Greek words have no one word equal.

Well, my theology is derived straight from the Bible. As far as Lordship salvation? Well, salvation is of the Lord.

I won't discuss inventions of men any further than to reprove them and identify them for what they really are/ inventions of men.

"Faith towards Jesus Christ" makes him an object, by some's definition, and sort of takes away from His Deity.

My faith is in a Person, who just so happens to be the Word of God that gave us the word of God that produces faith by hearing of the same, and from the same.

You'll never get around the fact that faith comes from God.

The power of God unto salvation is the preaching of the Cross. It is what Jesus performed upon the Cross that allows faith to be excercised unto salvation. Salvation, alone, is totally according to the power of God. We are kept by that power coupled with the faith that originated from God through His word.

The problem occured when it was erroneoulsy deduced that God was somehow required to have faith in Himself.:godisgood:

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I was not attempting to "artificially label" you (or anyone else, for that matter) an heretic, but I do not have (and never have had) any such qualms about calling false teachng "heresy". That is the very definition of heresy. That is what I was attempting to do. Sorry, If you took that the wrong way. One can be caught up in false (or a lack of clear) teaching without intent, I would say. It happened to Apollos. He was never called an heretic, to my knowledge.

There is no distinction between any of the forms of "believe", "believes", "believeth", and "believest" except the verb as it relates to the .number' and 'person' of the noun or pronoun, and the last two are archaic forms, and "believest" it associated with the singular second person and also archaic use of "Thou". 'You believe' is correct English, today, and 'believes' is relegated to the third person singular. So this attempted distinction, you are inquiring about is entirely artificial. For there is no distinction, at all. And I cannot make a distinction where there is none.

"Believe in vs believe on" amounts to the same thing. I already posted this with comparisons in post # 58 in this thread, so will not retype it. I am sure one, if one really desires, can scroll back to that post to see this. Again, there is no difference, except one that you are trying to invent. I still cannot make a distinction where there is none. And I would add - no I'm not going to say this yet, but still may.

And you are confusing what was said (or are you trying to convince yourself, out of curiosity?) about "faith". That too has been posted and answered. Let's see - post # 27 and # 49 from me. Plus posts that speak to this by Helen, DHK, and one other which may have been webdog, but I am not looking this up again.

I posted twice already regarding Galatians 2:20 and your contention of "it is the faith "OF" Jesus Christ with which we live our new lives IN Him". I contend that the meaning is faith in Christ, since you asked. I have cited ten Bible versions that render it this way [as faith in Christ (post # 85) and could have cited several more] and said, when you responded with
    the afore mentioned statement about 'something that I believed to be 'heretical''. I quoted 15 verses that said "believe in Jesus" or "believe in Him", and cited another 15 that spoke of the same thing, in post # 87.
    You've not shown this to be said by Scripture; you have merely assumed it to be true. The one time that this is even remotely spoken to in Scripture has been shown to be in the category of "spiritual gift", which are given at salvation, equal to that of teacher, apostle, or 'tongues', to name three.
    I'd suggest these above two statements fit together very well. And as for who said "faith toward ... Jesus Christ", and I'll add "faith toward God" to that, as well, that would be Paul, Luke, Apollos, and the Holy Spirit.
    And I will now say it. The unspoken position of your threads here has been that the KJV is superior to any other (read modern) English version. And you have not been hesitant to support some of this with an English dictionary definition of words to support your positions, while decrying Greek and Hebrew lexicography, word meanings, etc., citd by some of the rest of us. Last time I checked, the Bble was written in Hebrew, Chaldee and Greek and translated into English. I've seen nothing to indicate that the Biblical languages have changed. I suggest that any version in English is a translation, and is subject to 'improvement', at the least in understanding, and to the original languages, in terms of the sense imparted. I've again got to go feed cattle, etc. so have to sign off for now. But I do think I have addressed most of your last post. And Language Cop doesn't have time to proof-read this, either. so I apologize for more typos than the usual.

Ed

#89 EdSutton, Apr 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2007
  10. Salamander

Salamander New Member

To sum up your entire post, I would have to say you're right about one thing, but you seem to have it backwards. It's us who need to improve, you cannot improve upon the word of God.

Yes the Bible is translated into English, and as far as all my studies go, one cannot improve upon the KJB. It is precise in meaning, just as precise that faith originates from hearing the word of God and therefore faith is the dynamic result of hearing the Gospel.

To correct your defining of believeth, it is no mistake that the "eth" is applied as a suffix. It carries the conotation of a continual believing.

Also, to correct you limited view of "on" and "in". In the area of belief, to believe "in" something, or anything, may only require superstition, while believeing "on" the Lord is total dependence upon Him.

Learn to apply the spiritual aplication concerning spiritual matters, it helps to understand much more than meets the eye.:godisgood:

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

On this I'd agree. And I've never said anything differently, BTW.

What you are saying here is not exactly what you have said before on this thread as to the 'origin' of faith. I basically agree with this "precise" wording (and I suspect DHK would, as well, but he can' hang himself' on, 'er I mean speak for himself on this. BTW, DHK and I do not know each other in any way, except on thse pages, to my knowledge. We have never even had so much as a private message between us, that I can remember. Just for the record.) But I do suspect your view of the KJV is not exactly that of at least the majority of the 50 some-odd KJV translators, who worked on the translation for about 150 man-years, not to mention that of any other translators of any other versions I have ever read.

Here are four 'bits' of what the KJV translators "sayeth to the readere" -
    'I haueth readde euery word oF the preface oF the 1611 verfion 'to the readere' ande 'to the King', as well. Haueft thou?' :)

Ed

#91 EdSutton, Apr 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2007
  12. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did they putteth that little "[sic]" in there alsoeth? :laugh:

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Language Cop did not find this definition of the suffix "-eth", anywhere that he looked, although I certainly cannot say he looked everywhere. If 'wee' have missed this in some way, would you mind posting some evidence for this. Here is what he did find, in the 'hard copy' of our dictionary, as well as a good deal of searching on-line. And this speaks to "believeth" as well.
    "I'd say my view, is supported, here." - Signed, Language Cop !

Once again, I find myself agreeing with DHK, who wrote-
    I agree as to the arbitrary definitions that I see.
    I have responded to this once, already, but you apparently missed it (or chose not to 'get it') so I will quote it again.
    I suggest my "limited view of 'on' and 'in'" is entirely Biblical. Since Jesus was the one I quoted, in Jo. 3:15-16 & 6:47, are you saying that Jesus did "only require superstition", when he used "in" with Nicodemus, while Paul somehow "got it right" by saying to the Jailer, "Believe on..."?? I'd suggest you are definitely "skating uphill" on this one for you are on 'very thin (Biblical) ice'! May I suggest 'getting off the pond' in a hurry, for I hear the "ice cracking", all the way over here!! And every "Loganville" in the USA is several hundred miles from me!
    God is definitely good, but I'd suggest this method of "spiritual aplication (sic)" shows 'the spirit of Origen' is alive and well. Scripture does have may "spiritual applications" to be sure, but these applications do not override the interpretation. Each and every Scripture has but one (legitimate) interpretation, save obvious (or declared) allegories and parables, and that is properly determined by what is called the "grammatical/historic" interpretation. This is entirely proper, IMO, and has to take precedence over anything you or I would like to take from the verse(s). Only when one has the 'interpretation', can one then arrive at an 'application'. This is not to say that any such 'application' is faulty, per se, but it is improper to try and build any doctrine from an 'application'. I have now spent several hours answering Salamander, more than I probably should have taken. I doubt that I will spend much more time responding to one who, it seems, chooses to ignore several posters who have given substantive replies. I'm not upset, just too busy to waste my time. Any readers can see for themselves the substance of my remarks. I suggest they are adequate for the question(s) posed.

Ed

#93 EdSutton, Apr 10, 2007
  14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Since it 'beeth' me 'owne' quote, I diddeth notte. Specialie seence I beeth no experte, at alle, on Middle Engleishe. Or Jacobean/Elizabethian English, either, for that matter. :laugh:

That "[sic]" was put in there by the one who put the preface on-line, not me, altough I have access to a hard copy with the notes "to the reader" (with 'updated' spelling) contained therein. But it is hard to get 'hard copy' to 'copy' for posting, with my extremely limited computer skills. :laugh:

But glad you saw the humor thereth! :D

Ed

#94 EdSutton, Apr 10, 2007
  15. Salamander

Salamander New Member

To better understand the "T to the R", one must consider their humbleness. In no way are they saying they haven't given the best available, nor are they supposing there are equal or maybe even better translations of that day. Neither do they say that a better translation could occur, it is just understood there hasn't been one yet, nor do I believe there will be.

The reason? Language issues: the English langauge is persistently changing, as we speak.

As we speak, we give alternate wordings in hope of portraying a more aprehensible understanding of what we espouse. We use cliche's and word pictures,etc. But the established word grantedhe reader or hearer is not changible, nor does it alter itsself to satisfy the palate of the hearer. God doesn't change, neither does His word.

Remember: Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

I haven't changed a thing concerning the origination of faith: faith comes from God who is Faithful, thus faith comes from hearing what God chose to present to the ear of understanding to increase faith.

Please tell me what is meant, in your opinion, when the Lord's disciples requested, "Lord, increase our faith"?

For something to increase, it first must exist. For something to exist it must first have an origin. Faith is good, and faith is a gift of God/ the Father of Lights.

I suppose that if it were true that faith is something a man produces, then God in His being Faithful would then be unnecessary.

#95 Salamander, Apr 12, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  16. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Question: where do dictionaries have their origin?

No suggestion of my believing by superstition, ever.
    Jhn 3:15That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

( does not say "will")

Jhn 3:16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

( again, not "will")
    Jhn 3:17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. (agrees with the antecedent "should")

Jhn 3:18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. (agrees with Paul in the following, as well as Peter and John:

Rom 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Rom 9:33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Rom 10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

1Pe 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

1Jo 5:10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.

. dontcha just love the HARMONY of the Bible?)

Jhn 3:19And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.Jhn 3:20For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
    (these two verses give us the result of only believing "in" and not believing "on")

I gave you some very good examples of the differences, I hope this has been of help.
    That's "origin", not "Origen":laugh:
    Sounds a little like a "box", but I will agree. It's the harmonious interpretation that gives the correct rendering, else you pit God's word against God.
    It's improper to misunderstand what the Scripture actually says, and this is determined by the harmony of Scriputre, not by inventions of men to decipher the word of God.
    Ah, but the application must be in harmony with the interpretation.
    :laugh: Self acclaimed "victor", again?

I'm sure glad to have caused you to "spend several hours" (of study) answering me, but you haven't changed me or the word of God.

As for all the Germane evidences and the poking of fun at the "olde" texts, it looks rather foolish and is off topic.

Please refrain from such childish antics.

Act 16:31And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house

Seems Luke gave the better understanding of what is required for salvation.

I think myself to be still on the ice and not "in" the water.

If I believe "in" the ice, my faith is not evidenced until after I get "on" the ice.

1Ti 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Remember, it is God's will for all men to be saved, but all men will not respond to the Gospel as to excercize the measure of faith given to every man.

17. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Just thought I'd bump this back up since there was no reply to what I said above. So I must now believe that the opponents understand I:applause: was right all along.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

There is no equivocation in this verse; no ambiguity whatsoever.
    He that hears{/b] (present tense) and believes (present tense) has (present tense) eternal life.
    At the present time all those that believe in Christ (have faith in him) already have) eternal life. Furthermore, to emphasize this truth even more Christ goes on to say:

He shall not come into condemnation. Why? Because he already has eternal life. Another reason more directly related starts with the conjunction but

is passed (present tense) from death unto life. Again the emphasis is on what is happening now, the time that one believes. He IS passed from death to life. He has spiritual life. It is a spiritual life that never will end. Once you are born into God's family you cannot be unborn. You are an heir of God, a child of God's family. It is forever, forever a child of God, and thus one is given the gift of eternal life, right then and there.

The faith that one has, that one is born with, that he puts in Christ gives him eternal life. It is not in the future. It is in the present. It is not a might or a maybe. It is a surety.

19. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Well I'm glad we finally agree, it is the ever present continual believing that a saved person has. Although doubts may assail, Jesus Christ still prevailed! Ask John the Baptist.

It is only possible through the power of God through faith imparted to all men to believe.

And you did say that every man is born with faith.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes, that is one of the ways in which we are made in the image of God. We have the power to make moral choices--an attribute that animals do not have. We have the choice to believe--to choose to reject or to receive Christ; the choice to believe on Him or not to believe on Him. As a child innately puts faith or confidence in his parents more than others, so Jesus said one must become like a child and put their faith in God. It is a simple child-like confidence that whatever God has promised he will perform. A child has that confidence, that everything his parents has promised they will give and provide--home, food, clothing, etc. Does a person so simplicitly trust God. God doesn't automatically give you that faith. He has given you the ability to make that choice. He doesn't force you to believe. He has given you the choice to make the decision to believe. The choice is yours. He has made us in his image. We are not robots: forced to believe. The faith is not from God. The ablity to choose to believe is from God. There is a difference.