1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I propose...

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Feb 16, 2011.

1. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

2. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

#23 carpro, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2011
  4. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

#24 J.D., Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2011
  5. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nice post. In my 31-year relationship with the Air Force in various capacities (active, reserve, civilian) I have never been disappointed with military pay.

If we're going to get serious about the government budget, then conservatives have got to put their sacred cows on the cutting block just like the liberals have to also. That's why it seems to me we should be talking in terms of across-the-board cuts instead of targeted programs, because even the programs we like (such as military) are bloated beyond comprehension.

6. mandym

mandym New Member

Cut the military which can be done without conidering soldiers in harms way pay, but so long as they are in harms way they need more pay and benefits. Otherwise bring them home.

7. billwald

billwald New Member

>Why is military pay off-limits?

BECAUSE WE HAVE AN ALL VOLUNTEER ARMED FORCES!

The alternative is the draft, pulling the troops home and minding out own business (never happen), or an American Foreign Legion.

SAY the AFL was headquartered in leased land in Europe, South America, or Asia. SAY inlistees never were permitted to enter the US for their entire enlistment. Say any person could join the AFL and after 10 years honorable service was awarded US citizenship and a new Social Security number. Say they were paid $250/month for spending money. Anyone object to this solution to Army pay rates?

8. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Military Pay should be off limits because Defense is one of the few Constitutionally mandated operations of our government.

And, personally, I want the *very* best I can hire to defend *me*!

BTW, don't anyone dare divide Military pay and allowances by a 40 hour work week.

Ain't no such thing in the military...

Not only that, but, you've volunteered to give others pretty much ownership of your life...

Like Good Police Officers, you really can't pay them enough.

9. mandym

mandym New Member

We need to cut constitutionally mandated items as well. We just do not have the money. We need to cut all spending. Pay off our debt. then only spend what is actually in the coffers rather than projected amounts. And only spend what is constitutional.

10. SpiritualMadMan

CUT the non-constitutionally madated items FIRST...

Then see where we are...

Start with Foreign Aid...

11. mandym

mandym New Member

:wavey::thumbsup:

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only thing left would be our military services.

But it's terribly unfair of you not to want to cut their pay as well.:smilewinkgrin:

13. SpiritualMadMan

Really?

At least most of them EARN their keep.

Unlike many, if not most, on Non-Contributory, entitlements...

TANSTAAFL! :smilewinkgrin:

14. billwald

billwald New Member

I propose the government again sell war bonds to finance the war, say inflation plus 3% interest. All you patriotic Republicans would buy them, right?

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I agree with you. I propose that our generation, the Baby Boomers, be allowed to have seperate accounts for Social Security for ours or our family's use. When Social Security was founded, it was made quite clear that it was NOT a way to support yourself in retirement, but a supplement to savings, or a pension from your company. Now, why should we who are nearing retirement have to pay into a system for people who did not listen to the original intent. Today, we have millions of individuals in the generation ahead of us that did nothing for their own retirement, and have collected many multiples of what they paid in, not out of money they contributed, but out of money we are now earning. That plus all the people in their 20s and 30s on some kind of behaviorial drug that cannot work. It takes a certain percentage of productive workers to maintain a system, but we have fallen way below that. My wife works as a nurse for a Dr. who mainly does Medicare and Medicaid patients. You would not believe how many young people are not working and will never work. We who are around 60 now are in a catch 22. We have worked and paid in all our lives, not it is threatened because of no loads. I cannot even imagine how much we could save by holding everyone accountable for their retirement. Out of charity, we in reality cannot do that to those above us, but we can those who will not work because they are strung out on some mind altering drug.

Looking back, the system should have never been started. As a high school graduate, I raised my family, paid off my house, paid for two kids college (bachelors), tithed to the church, with an average mind. If I can, anyone can.

Another thing I would propose is strict accountability for all monies spent by the US Government, every penny. Anyone, and I mean anyone defrauding we the people would go to jail for a long time. That would include Medicaid and Medicare fraud, those living in a government apt. a free ride to their shack up, and stopping all the many ways politicians steal from us. We could balance the budget in a decade.

16. SpiritualMadMan

Well, maybe when the government shuts down, if it shuts down long enough, some of you Federal and State employee haters will miss them???

Oh, yes there will be essential services...

But, I hope you don't get *any* of them...

Like your entitlement checks!

Hope you have a good savings account...

17. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would like to just start with no benifits or welfare to anyone who is not a USA citizen. If SS would not have been put into the general fund by Dems, not only would SS be healthy but those who recieve it because they funded it would be getting almost twice as much.

18. billwald

billwald New Member

The handling of SS funds has not changed since FDR signed the legislation. Boggles my mind that none of you don't know any better.

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Why would I need an entitlement check? Who said anything about hating state and federal workers? Who said anything about the government shutting down? What are you smoking anyhow?

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Baloney. The SS paid for itself for several decades. Now, the oldest generation is living off your SS earnings, plus the druggies in their 20s and 30s that will not work.