1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I really don't to exercise.

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by SaggyWoman, Jul 19, 2009.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

How can I get myself motivated to exercise?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

For me, it's just seeing my fat belly in a tighter shirt. I started walking last week and am using that time to listen to podcasts since I have NO way to listen to them otherwise. I think it's just a matter of deciding to do it and find something you like. Having a friend join you really helps too.

3. rdwhite

rdwhite New Member

Wii Fit

My parents bought the kids a Wii for Christmas and I bought my wife and me the Wii fit for Valentines. It is awesome. We really enjoy it and can compete in fitness activities, it is the one exercise program that we have been consistent to stay at.

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have found three things to be most important in sustaining an exercise program.

1. Find something you like to do. Walking, biking, gardening etc.

2. Start very slowly. If walking, just walk a block or two for the first few weeks. The most important thing early on is to establish a habit, which takes 3 to 6 weeks for most people.

3. Do the exercise at the same time everyday. Make it your time. Be selfish and don't let anyone take it from you. Mornings are best because it sets your matabolism a little higher for the whole day.

One last piece of advice. Under no circumstances take weight loss advice from someone bigger than you are.:laugh: OOPS! That means you'll have to ignore everything I said.

peace to you and good luck.:praying:

5. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Schedule regular walks with friends

Walk and listen to a sermon at the same time (this one is my favorite)

Do less driving and more walking/biking

6. queenbee

queenbee Member

Walking works wonders - especially if you start out slowly and just build up. It's true that it takes approx. 21 days to establish a new habit, so if all you can do for the first few weeks is walk around the block - that's all you do.
    I also invested in a really good mini-trampoline which is wonderful for your lymph system. You can do the same thing by skipping rope - just takes 5 minutes in the morning and 5 at night. Wonderful way to shed pounds and get rid of excess toxins in your body! Hope this helps.

7. Songbird

Songbird New Member

8. Gib

Gib Active Member

Wear a bikini around the house and set up several mirrors so you will see yourself everywhere you go. :tongue3:

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Here's how I got into it. Go to the gym when your favorite tv show is on, and watch it while running/walking on the machine. The time goes by like nothing.

Another thing you can do is to take a picture of yourself, sans clothing, once a week. After a few weeks, you'll notice a difference, and that will be motivating.

Lastly, continue praying. I've found the the Holy Spirit helps me to stay motivated, especially when I remember that my body is his temple.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

i joined the local 'gym' 4 weeks ago, a lot lower monthly fee then the Y,
    I should say our local 'gym' is really the physical therapy, we don't have a real gym in our town. but for a small mothly fee they let anyone use their gym equipment. I go 3 times a week use the bike and elyptical, total of 30 minutes, want more time eventually.

11. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You body is a temple for the Lord. What kind of temple do you want to present to Him?

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Having a partner sure helps a lot. A friend will make a big difference in the long run. Develop a way of measuring your improvement. You could measure such things as weight, resting heart rate, and the time it takes you to recover after exercise. Have a variety of exercises you do. Mix them up so that you are not doing the same thing every day. For example I play tennis most everyday until winter and push weights every other day. When thew winter comes I will push lighter weights every other day and heavier weight every other day. I do not do both on the same day.

At first do something easy but be consistent. As you continue to exercise you will notice your endurance is better. when your endurance is better then you will feel more like doing something that may be more demanding.

I keep a record of each day I exercise. Over time I can see the improvement. You can also record what you ate and how you felt. If get up feeling tired it might be best to do something easier or take a day of rest.

When you are in great shape the things that were once hard will seem easy. Be patient with yourself and be consistent. The most important thig is consistency. Even when I do not feel like exercising I do something. Often once I get going then I feel much better.

Walking one block each day it is better than 10 blocks on one day and then resting for nine days.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Athletes who are typically highly motivated have a coach who trains and encourages them. Even they can get discouraged at times. Associate with encouraging people who will help you to get better and hang in there when you feel like giving up. Encouraging people will help you to keep focused and get better.

Exercise can turn into a great thing the family and friends can do.

14. Spear

Spear New Member

Hi !

In fact, there are different things to take in consideration.

1) Make yourself a little program of what you're going to do that day, ie swim on monday, walk on tuesday, and finally play tennis on saturday.

2) Like said before, you have to keep with your program. If you give up with some or your training sessions, it'll be harder keep up with it the week after, you'll loose the rythm and have it harder to start again.

3) Take some objectives. It could be, ie, to walk 5 mins more each and every week, increase the distance walked in the same time, and so on.

I came back to body-building 3 months ago, after stopping for 11 years (i trained martial arts during that period). It was hard to start again, but one thing keeps me on tracks (i train alone, at home, i have everything needed in the garage) : i wrote a program, and made some kind of training routine, with the n° of exercises, type ... etc for every day. Every time i train a muscular group, i check on the board every exercise done, the quantity of weight used, and the number of reps done. Believe me, seeing clearly your progresses on the paper helps you to be motivated to hold on and try harder !

If you're in need of motivation, or have the feeling you won't do it that day, come here and say it, we'll help you to remain motivated !

15. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

Lots of good advice here. Let me add:

1) Choose an exercise you can enjoy doing 5-6 days a week.
    2) Choose an exercise you can DO 5-6 days a week.

It has to become part of your day. 3x a week makes each workout an interruption.

My wife Janet is 49, 5'4", 120 lbs and has been since I met her. We have walked a many thousand miles togther, and she has done at least that on her own.

All walking requires is time. every other exercise requires specialized equipment, showers, lockers, etc.

I was into bicycle racing for years and we also rode a tandem bike until we moved to Western PA where the roads are narrow and hilly -- not really suitable for safe cycling.:tear:

16. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...want...

There I did it, it's been bugging me.

I made a deal with a friend yesterday,

We'll start going to the men's exercise class at church on Tuesday nites.

But when it comes to doing push-ups, I'm as motivated as a goldfish.

Rob

17. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey!

Good for you. I also started back on a regular routine of doing resistance weight training/body building after about 5 years of slacking off. Started on March 1st and I’m still at it and as motivated as ever. Seeing the results are great and that tends to be the motivating factor that has turned exercise into a habit.

I guess I could say my motivation for starting happened when I took a good look at myself in the mirror while in my birthday suit and said, what the!!!...that IS NOT THE ME I SHOULD BE!

18. Spear

Spear New Member

I guess it's time to check where our sister, Saggywoman, is in her decision to train her body and exercise it.

Saggywoman ?

19. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, SAGGYWOMAN, what about it?! Hup two... :smilewinkgrin: