1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I think I may be a millennial calvinist

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by James_Newman, May 4, 2006.

1. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I believe that any man who believes on the Lord Jesus Christ will be raised up on the last day, as He promised in John 6:40. But the more I look at scripture, I think that God has elected some of these people to reign with Jesus during the thousand year kingdom! I think these millennial saints will persevere to the end as well, since we see that Jesus has promised a kingdom to those who will overcome.

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

James, that's why I say that I'm like Paul who was neither a Calvinist nor an Armenian.

They're both right and they're both wrong. (Although, when you apply things to the salvation of the soul, the Armenians are a little closer...)

3. doulous

doulous New Member

You know what I dislike about standing in the middle of the street? Dodging cars.

4. doulous

doulous New Member

James - there have been many historic premillennialist Calvinist's through the years. The late James Montgomery Boice held to that position. It is a very popular position among former dispensationalists. It all comes down on how you interpret prophetic literature. At the present time I believe in a literal 1000 yearl millennial kingdom.

5. JohnB

JohnB New Member

James,

I wouldn't think that your position is unusual.
    Dallas Theological Seminary was founded on the princiuple of pre-mill, dispensational theology and most of the profs, original and current, claim to be Calvinists as well.

Of course, "Reformed" Calvinists are typically covenant amillenialists. Many, if not most, of them believe that pre-mill dispensationalism is incompatible with Calvinism.

6. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

James,

There is not a hint anywhere in John chapter 5 and 6 saying anything about millennial, because it doesn't saying "a thousand years".

John 6:39,40,44, and 54 telling us very clear that there shall be a resurrection on "last day" of this present age at Lord's coming.

Also, "kingdom of God/heaven" in many passages of the Bible never called it, 'millennial kingdom', because none of these saying, 'a thousand years'.

For example - John 3:3 tells us, that we must be born again, or cannot see the kingdom of God. Christ means that we must be repent of our sins, or we cannot have eternal life. Christ doesn't saying, you must be born again, or you cannot enter a thousand years of the kingdom.

There is no scripture in the Bible saying anything about purgatory or temporary punishment. Obivously, Christ warns us if we do not repent or not obey God, shall be punishment and be separated from God forever and ever at the judgment day.

Matt. 25:30 is very clear telling us, if a servant hide his/her a talent and not use it or disobey God, will be cast into everlasting punishment separated from God at the judgement day. Matt. 25:30 doesn't suggest us that a lazy servant shall be suffering for only a temporary, because Christ doesn't saying it is a temporary. Use our common sense and understand what Christ was talking about.

Matt. 25:30 is much same with Matt. 25:41 speaking of fire is an everlasting, not temporary. Even also Matt 25:46 too.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I think I may be a millenial post-trib non-dispensational bi-annual monogamous asynchronous poly-estherous quadraphonic monergistic trifocal hexadecimal calvinist, myself. Yes, I know that's somewhat of a stereotype...

8. doulous

doulous New Member

John, you think so? I have found the majority to be post-mil.

9. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Oh, I guess you misunderstood me. I am definitely pre-mil. I am not a classical calvinist. But I think that a lot of what calvinism teaches is probably correct when applied to the millennial kingdom, rather than the free gift of eternal salvation. I think that just because a person is saved, that does not make them one of the elect. Those that will reign with Christ are the elect, but that is not every believer.

10. JohnB

JohnB New Member

Thanks for the clarification.

Under Calvinism, I suppose it makes sense to conclude that God alone determines your rewards as well as your salvation.

Otherwise you would have to wonder why God does such a complete job justifying the elect, but doing a poor job on their sanctification.

If you get to heaven with only your robe on your back, and have no crowns, and reign over no cities, it is only because God intended it that way.

However, I think you might have a hard time biblically seperating the saved 'elect' from the saved 'non-elect.'

11. JohnB

JohnB New Member

Doulous,

Could you cite some Reformed theologians who believe in a literal millenial kingdom on earth?

I am not doubting they are out there, just wondering who they are.

12. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

James, if more people saw this, then I think there would be much less arguing over the Calvinist/Armenian issue, not to mention the OSAS issue.

13. doulous

doulous New Member

Three that I can think of: R.C. Sproul, Keith Mathison and Doug Wilson (although Wilson has other problems).

14. JohnB

JohnB New Member

Doulous,

Thanks for the info.
    I know there has been a "revival" of sorts for post-millenialism. Not sure their numbers (of living adherants, pew and professor) outweigh the a-mills though.

15. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Or directing them.

James. Here is a good book on the subject that we were discussing on the OSAS thread:

http://www.bibleone.net/RSK_intro.html

Available at:

http://bookcenter.dts.edu/shopexd.asp?id=12163

I have a copy and it covers the subject like no other book. It's out off print, so hurry.

16. epistemaniac

epistemaniac New Member

ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks... I needed that...

blessings,
    Ken