1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I think the "holiday" protest backfired

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Seth&Mattsmom, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Seth&Mattsmom

Seth&Mattsmom New Member

I have a friend, who is not a believer, who has always celebrated Christmas.

Now, after all the hullalaboo over the PC Christmas terms, she informed me that she is buying a "Holiday Tree" today.

Kinda Catch 22, isn't it? We want to preserve Jesus in our Christmas, but publicly protesting it gave everyone the idea of "HEY! We can celebrate a non-Christian Christmas"...an idea that obviously has not occured to anyone before, as stated above by my friend getting a "holiday tree".

How then, we, as ambassadors for Christ, make our stand?

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Personally, in our family, we have taken the obviously secular parts out of Christmas. Im mostly talking about Santa Claus, btw. We don't necessarily make a HUGE deal out of presents, though we do have them and the kids get excited of course. But the main talk around Christmas is about Jesus and why He came as a baby in the first place.

I don't see any problem with celebrating Jesus' birth. To say that because the Bible never mentions it AND SO it must be wrong, is to me closely akin to the JWs who say that Jesus never celebrated any birthday, so we shouldnt celebrate any birthday for anyone. We acknowledge our kid's birthdays, so why not Jesus' as well?

The world has become very caught up in the gift giving/getting part, and I believe this is where most of the problem lies. ITs really just another indication of materialism. As Christians we are supposed to stay away from that anyway. We just ought to be consistent all year round, including Christmas.

3. eyeball

eyeball New Member

The Bible mentions only three kinds of gifts: gold, frankincense and myrrh. As such, I really think the only appropriate gifts to give during christmas are aromatics, perfumes and money. This is the only example we have of Biblical gift-giving, and thus the one we should follow.

4. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

You're kidding, right??

5. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

I like your Fla humor eyeball.

6. Karen

Karen Active Member

Bapmom,
    Your position is certainly fine, and many Christians follow it.
    I find it interesting, though, that many Christians, including some on this board, including many Reformed people, have a real trouble with keeping Christ IN Christmas.
    Some Reformed people, for example, are diligently seeking to follow the Regulative Principle of Worship, expressed as only doing in worship what God has specifically commanded.
    They see special Christmas services in church as "will worship" and binding people's consciences to worship in ways God has not specifically commanded.
    THEREFORE, they prefer not to connect Christ with Christmas at all. To the extent that many of them celebrate Christmas at all, they completely secularize it, having presents, kid stuff, family time, secular Christmas songs and no connection with Christ.

As for my family, we do it all in a balance we consider appropriate. We have a tree and presents. We will sing "O Come All Ye, Faithful" and go to church.
    We have lights outside, and lots of traditions.
    One of them is reading from Matthew and Luke on Christmas Eve.

Karen

7. Seth&Mattsmom

Seth&Mattsmom New Member

Hey eyeball, don't forget gold watches and jewlery!

I feel like all the public controversy has opened non-believers eyes to a new, PC, un-Christian holiday...whereas before they were not against the Christ part of it.

I suddenly find myself wondering how to be a better representative of Christ to my friend and the secular world around me. I want to dig into a deeper meaning that is visible to this materialistic world. Hard to do in real life with 2 toddlers!! I must strive to remember that all I do in this season in supposed to be in honor of Christ's birth.

8. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Seth&MattsMom,

I think being a good witness to your friend will be including Christ in everything you do. The issue of how our unsaved friends view Christmas is sort of peripheral, because unbelievers do not by definition believe in Christ. So why would we expect them to include Him for real in any part of anything they do?

If your friend ever does become a believer, as I hope she does, then would be when her view of Christmas would matter.

Do you see what I mean?

9. Seth&Mattsmom

Seth&Mattsmom New Member

Of course I see what you mean! I was just commenting on how much further away non-believers are getting (like my friend, who told me she got most of her "holiday" present shopping done). Sometimes people can change into believers from just simple exposure (like me). I always beleived in Jesus because of Easter and Christmas, but I didn't understand what it meant until I finally went to church.

Oh well...I will just pray that God lets his glory shine. I cannot control the world. ;)

10. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

A few years ago they attempted to advertise Christmas as "XMAS".

How it's "HOLIDAY", "trees", "gifts", "Season", anything to take "CHRIST" out of "CHRIST-mas".

"Wal Mart" has instructed their "Associates" not to say "Merry Christmas" but "Happy Holidays",

But they had better yell "LOUD" if they want me to hear them, in the other shopping Mall.

11. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Maybe when someone says they're getting a "Holiday Tree," we could remind them that "Holiday" really means "Holy Day." ;)

12. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I agree with you, Seths&MattsMom

13. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    XMAS doesn't bother me.

X (a chi in Greek) is the first letter of "Christ" when spelled in Greek. Therefore, I have no problem with XMAS personally.

14. nate

nate New Member

I agree the world will always seek to remove Christ from everything. I think we as Christians should make sure we let the next generation know what Christmas is really about.

15. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I agree.

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

16. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

That doesn't mean these are the only acceptable gifts.

We don't have an example of going to church on Wednesday night, but that doesn't make it unbiblical or wrong.

17. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

As to celebrating "Christ's birthday", I think it is purely a man made tradition. No harm in it I suppose, but the only day Jesus commanded us to memorialize was His Death day.

"This do in remembrance of me." Rmember?

Why all the hullabaloo when the LOST act like they're LOST?

I really don't get you christians sometimes.

Why murmur about it and just get out there and make disciples of them instead, huh?

18. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

That doesn't mean these are the only acceptable gifts.

We don't have an example of going to church on Wednesday night, but that doesn't make it unbiblical or wrong.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Actually, since these were given to the Christ Child, it means these are the gifts we should bring to church.

Start getting ready to handle those perfume samples in the offering plates, boys!

:D

19. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is another case of New-Age-Liberals trying to tell us what to do. As a counter-protest, we should plainly say, "Merry Christmas" to each & every store employee who says something else, especially if they appear to be management.

I REFUSE to obey the New-Age-liberal pundits of "political correctnerss"!

20. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christmas has become an extremely popular holiday in Japan--without Christ in it of course. So most missionaries here use it as a chance to get the Gospel out. We will have a special Christmas Eve service at our church, and invite lost people for an evangelistic opportunity.

Why don't you folk do the same thing in "heathen America?" If your church doesn't have a cantata planned, have a Christmas carol sing at your home or some other kind of party, and invite your lost neighbors! [​IMG]