1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I used to be KJV-only, now I'm not and boy how the Lord has blessed my Bible studying

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Spoudazo, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Wow, I would have never thought.

Even before my salvation I was KJV-only (about the same extent as Ruckman). After salvation however the Lord began to work on me. Oh what a blessing indeed He has wrought!

My Bible study as a whole had been dry for quite some time, and finally (through several years of studying) I finally realized I was wrong! Certainly not easy to admit, but once one does, what freedom! I read almost the whole book of Matthew in one day in the NASB. It was like an "all you can eat" buffet.

No longer will I constantly have to struggle with bitterness towards those supposed "Alexandrian cultists."

Just had to share, praise the Lord!

NAS 2 Corinthians 3:17 Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Thank You for this testimony! God is Good!

3. natters

natters New Member

That's fantastic, Spoudazo! [​IMG]

4. David J

David J New Member

Spoudazo,

I too was a rabid KJVO for 7 years! Your testimony was a blessing to read!

The AV1611 set me free from the bondage of KJVOism.

Send me a PM if you want more info.

Glad you came to our board.

PS- I use the NASB also! Wonderful translation!

In Christ,

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Great testimony!

But may I suggest you duck [​IMG] :D :D

6. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

PastorSBC1303,

About 90% of Christians I fellowship with are KJV-only, so I have to get used to it sometime! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh, might I add. One of the most hard-hitting books on the subect was White's book (The King James Only Contrversy) that I read when I was a senior in a Christian school (KJV-only school). Dr. Waite, bro. Cloud, and the whole host of those brothers who are KJV-only couldn't refute what he said.

I also enjoy the writings of John Burgon, as he at times has some valuable information as well!

7. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I can't say that I've been anywhere near what you have been through. I was KJVo for about a week after I read one of the KJVo books (a long time ago) and then I started researching all of these changes they kept claiming and noted tht nothing changed the doctrine if you take each chapter in context.

Good for you, but I echo PastorSBC1303, DUCK! NOW! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

My experience was similar, a chap passed me some KJVO literature and I fell for it, yet I soon woke up!

9. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

Thank you for the wonderful testimony, Spoudazo! [​IMG]

I too was a KJV-only, for about a year and a half, and I was KJV-only before I was saved!. I know what you've been through. I had friends and a college professor who confronted my errant KJV-only views and had come to KNOW the truth! Indeed, the truth sets us free, Praise God!!!!!! :cool: [​IMG]

10. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

:D I've been a confident KJVo man since 1980 and was a "preferred" prior to that.I've seen nothing in here that shakes my conclusions,convictions or faith in the position I hold.Some of you guys(on both sides of the issue)are pretty intelligent and have a lot of formal education and that is fine.I had just enough college to know that anyone who perseveres through 4 or more years of it has every reason to feel proud of their accomplishment(and thankful they survived the experience).I just believe though that many times the result of education is that confidence in "scholarship" replaces "simple faith" in the Word of God.At that point a certain blindness sets in and it becomes difficult to discern the difference between what is right and wrong.I think that is the result of "modern textual criticism" that clouds the issue of final authority and seeks to degrade peoples confidence in the King James Bible which IS,without question,the Word of GOD.The proliferation of modern versions in our day is,in my opinion,(which I already know most of you will reject)an attempt by modern scholarship to usurp authority and redefine it to suit their own purposes.
    God Inspired His Word in the Original writings and then set about to Providentially Preserve it for every age and for the English speaking people the result was the King James Bible.In the early church when most spoke Greek or Hebrew people ONLY understood it as the Holy Spirit REVEALED it to them.The same is true in the English speaking world today.The natural or carnal man will NEVER understand the Word of God any better unless the Holy Spirit opens their darkened hearts and minds to it.All these new versions accomplish nothing except to cloud the issue of God's Final Authority....and the devil must just love that.I'll go to my grave(unless I'm raptured out) believing that THAT one Book(KJV)is all I ever needed to find,know,and live for God.I'm also thankful to God that He saw fit to continue His providential work of preservation and update the unusual spellings of the 1600's english into the far more readable spellings found in my 1769 edition of the KJV.Even I have to agree that it is far more readable....and thank God it isn't the perverted "gutter" english of the current day.JMO folks....carry on with your controversy!

:D Greg Sr. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

RIGHT ON AND AMEN BROTHER GREG SR. PREACH IT!!!

While the many here will disagree &lt;attack on fellow posters deleted&gt;, I will stand on it to my homegoing and beyond! Be it here, there or in the air!

OTOH, if you (the OP) find you are closer to the Lord if you use a hundred other versions and commentaires, go for it! I don't need 'em but perhaps you do. ;)

And BTW; welcome brother. Have fun here.

In HIS service;
    Jim

[ February 13, 2005, 03:26 AM: Message edited by: C4K ]

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

How can one possibly accuse the NKJV of using "perverted gutter English?"

13. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

^^^^^
    :rolleyes:

OK, here we go again. We were just praising God until the 'onlies' came to crash our worship! Just what was the purpose of Mr. Perry's comments here? Boasting in one's supposed 'faith' in a Bible version? I guess that's Mr. Perry's 'reward'. [​IMG]

So, according to Mr. Perry's analogy, it goes to say that since I went to a fundamentalist Christian college (Clearwater Christian) and graduated with a B.A. in Pastoral Studies, I'm somehow 'spiritually handicapped' because I don't have 'simple faith' in the Word of God, even to the point where I am 'blind' and can't discern between what's 'right and wrong'? Does Mr. Perry really believe that his elitist attitudes toward those of us who don't adhere to his 'faith' in KJV-onlyism give him cause to castigate us MV users (and to even some of us 'textual scholars') as being educated 'intellectual snobs'??

Does anyone here claim that the KJV is NOT the Word of God? Perhaps Mr. Perry can explain to us how "modern textual criticism" works, let alone how it 'clouds the issue of final authority'? If on one hand Mr. Perry claims that education is spiritually handicapping one to believe in 'simple faith', yet on the other hand Mr. Perry somehow understands "modern textual criticism" to the point where he can state definitively that it 'degrades peoples confidence' in the KJV, where can he then say that he can possess and demonstrate a knowledge of (1)how the Bible was transmitted through the ages, (2) define and explain the Biblical doctrines of inspiration, inerrancy, infallibility, and illumination, (3) demonstrate and defend such doctrines and how they apply to what we believe as Baptists, (4) and how textual criticism enhances one's confidence in the very Word of God. Our final authority is the Word of God, not in a translation of the Bible, nor in the KJV. Perhaps Mr. Perry, and others of his persuasion, could enlighten us about his 'simple faith' about why it is only the KJV that is the Word of God. Come now, don't you think that he is being coy about what he really believes?

On whose own purposes does the MV's usurp authority? What kind of nonsense is this, Mr. Perry? Even the KJV translators said that the proliferation of Bibles in various versions is profitable for our understanding of the Word of God. Is it possible that Mr. Perry is upset that his 'final authority' is really not 'final' nor an 'authority'? I would even charge that KJV-onlyists usurp the authority of the Word of God to suit their own purposes, to the point where error, deceit, falsehood, lies, distortions, question-begging, circular reasoning, and outright ignorance is a common denominator amongst their so-called 'scholars'! Is such a characteristic of godliness or Christian scholarship? I would hope that Mr. Perry would say NO to this!

Well, that's correct, so far!

Wrong! This is completely false, and you are ascribing something to God in which He said nothing about. It is demonstrated in numerous posts about how this lie is what it is: deceit, dishonest, and distorted falsehood. It has been asked many times before by others: If the KJV is the 'providentially preserved' (mmmm.... pickles! [​IMG] ) Bible for English speaking people, then what did the English speaking people have before the KJV (i.e. Geneva Bible, Great Bible, etc...)?? Chopped liver?? Did God say that He would preserve His Word in the KJV? Somehow methinks that Mr. Perry somehow must have received some 'special revelation', since it is his 'simple faith' that gives him insight into what God has done since giving the Word of God to the prophets and apostles. :eek:

Huh? What does the above statements have to do with the discussion? If the Holy Spirit gives understanding to the believer, He does it through the reading of His Word in the language that one understands, whether it is a translation or if he/she can read or in the Hebrew or Greek. The common languages in which the Bible was originally written (Hebrew/Aramaic and Koine' Greek) were just that: languages. There isn't anything more special to understanding the Word of God in the English language regardless of what version one uses, so long as that translation can effectively convey the words and thoughts from the text in which it was translated from. As a matter of fact, wasn't it the KJV translators that said that the use of various translations gives the believer a better understanding of the Word of God? I don't think Mr. Perry thinks so. Perhaps Mr. Perry is alluding to the doctrine of illumination, but I'm not sure if he understands what that is.

That's mere presumption on your part, Mr. Perry. I believe the devil is quite happy that you are blinded by the KJV-only myth that you ignorantly hold on to. Calling MV's, indirectly or not, as being "devil's Bibles", as you have clearly done so here, is insulting to the holiness of God, and denigrates the Word of God.

Perhaps you aren't aware that the 'gutter' Greek of the NT was the one in which all translations, KJV and MV's alike, are based on? Do you honestly think that the English language today is any bit worse than it was in 1611? You stated earlier that 'the early church when most spoke Greek or Hebrew people ONLY understood it as the Holy Spirit REVEALED it to them', then you say that a 'gutter' language, being in your 'opinion' modern English, isn't it good enough for you? The vulgar Koine Greek was good enough for God to have used in the NT, it goes to say that the perverted 'gutter' English of our day should be OK for God to give us His Word.

If Mr. Perry wants to give his 'humble opinions', perhaps he could start another thread and let him 'expound' his 'simple faith' to us there. This thread was started by one who had true simple faith and took God at His Word, where he understood the falsehood, lies, distortions, and deceitfulness of the brand of KJV-onlyism that Mr. Perry so happens to believe by his 'simple faith'. :rolleyes:

14. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

Why is it that you think we 'disagree' with you in order to 'divert one's faith in that old Book'? We disagree with your assertion that God's Word is only in the KJV.

I am thankful to God that He delivered me, Spoudazo, and others away from the lies and deceit of KJV-onlyism. That is the reason why we have posted our thoughs here, and for you to poison this thread &lt;snipped as personal attack&gt; is astounding, and your braggadocio about your 'simple faith' does not belong on this thread.

[ February 13, 2005, 03:24 AM: Message edited by: C4K ]

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Do you think if the Lord tarries then in 2205 NKJV onlies will be saying, "I am glad that the Lord preserved His Word in the beautiful English of the 20th century instead of the perverted, gutter English of today?"

16. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Amen, and praise the Lord!

I find it hard to believe that anyone who believes that God made people speak in other tongues or languages at Pentecost can honestly accept the myths of KJVO thought. God wants us to have His Word in something that we can understand. Saying that we should only use the KJV is trying to limit God's desire to reach out in an understandable form to the lost and dying. Anyone who is a true Bible believer should completely reject the KJVO myth.

The KJV is absolutely the Word of God. But then so is the NASB, the ASV, etc.

17. gopchad

gopchad New Member

The English language will be dead by then, and we will be arguing over different topics, but the KJV will still be the preserved word of God.

Great post Greg Sr. I'll take faith in what God says over man's intellect anyday... and I'll take the critcism from the intellectuals for saying so.

Chad

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

If English is dead, what will people do for the Word of God? I guess they will have to translate from the KJV manuscripts have not have a preserved Word of God in their language?

19. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The NT was written in Old English??? Wow!!!!!!! :D

Well, I guess I better stay true to the original languages. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I actually didn't know there was another translation besides the King James until I was 18.

20. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

:rolleyes: To brother LRL and others.....the premise of the OP in this thread was that the Lord "blessed" brother Spoudazo for abandoning his original position as a KJVo and "enlightened" his personal study of the Word of God BECAUSE he abandoned that position.He is entitled to the position he holds and the opinion that he has,as are the rest of you.However,in the position I hold to I "feel" equally blessed and posted my testimony of that and my opinion as to why I believe so.Pick it apart if you wish.As I've said in other threads...I won't engage in all the back and forth argument about it because I believe it is a hobbyhorse that is pointless to ride.We'll just have to agree to disagree on it.My esteem for my King James Bible is genuine and I do revere it highly as the perfect Word of God for my generation.I just don't think I need anything else.Lest I be accused of being a "bibliolator",I will state that I don't "worship" the Book,but rather I worship the Author of it and am thankful that He was gracious and loving enough to an undeserving sinner such as I to make sure I have a copy of the Word of God,THE foundation on which my faith in Him is derived from.My posting here was NOT with any intent to "poison" this thread as LRL suggests,but rather to give testimony to what I believe God has blessed me in.There are two sides to every coin.The truth is that this is an issue that will always engender controversy and the two positions will likely NEVER be reconciled one to another.In that respect it is no different than the Calvinism/Arminianism debate,the Pre-trib/Post-trib debate and others.Good people will always disagree on some things and in the end the Lord Himself will straighten us all out at His Judgement Seat.I hold to a position that I say EXALTS God and His Son by unquestioning faith in His Word as the Final Authority for all matters of faith and practice.The truth is...people who hold the opposite position in this debate would profess to do the same.We just take different routes to get there.
    Spoudazo...I say God Bless You...as well as the rest of you.

Greg Sr. [​IMG] [​IMG]