1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I used to be KJV-only, now I'm not and boy how the Lord has blessed my Bible studying

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Spoudazo, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Certainly can't disagree with that. You might also say that most KJVo's are so well versed in their KJVo doctrinal perspective that they don't even notice when they have to explain away obvious Anglo bias.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, it appears that they never did notice their blunder or they knew it was wrong but for whatever motive they chose to ignore the truth, I don't know, only they and God
    know.

But as others have indicated and I have answered previously, they certainly were theologically confused about several things. Remember they were pado-baptists who believed in the extra-biblical successionist apostolic office of "bishop".

There are many other things, you know, like the inclusion of the Church of Rome Apocrypha between the covers of the "Holy Bible" with no explanation within that it was not Scripture, the weekly celebration of the "Eucharist" (Anglo-Catholic version of the mass), the sacerdotal nature of the "priests" and "bishops" of the Anglo-Catholic Church of England, etc.

So, yes they got many things wrong of which they are apparently unawares even to this very day.

HankD

4. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

I have that book (somewhere around here :D ). I also wrote a review of it in another thread (look in the book part of the forum board).

My main point was, he can sometimes keep your attention, has some interesting info, but then he just gets of track. I like to call him, Hyles Jr. [​IMG]

5. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    dcorbett: KJV only here...find and read "The Final Authority" - I don't like watered down Bibles...I want the closest thing to the Greek that I can get. Compromise on this is like any other compromise in this shift to the world.

That would prolly be the NASV in English.

6. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Final Authority...First, it's by Dr. Wm Grady, KJVO party-liner, which sheds doubt upon its veracity before we go any farther. The book itself is nothing but the same ole KJVO garbage in a new, differently-colored bag.

Spoudazo....

It's been awhile since I read that book, but I remember Dr. Grady writing that the KJV-not its sources-is the final authority. That made me at once suspicious of him; he seems to follow Ruckmania while taking some of the edge off the kooky stuff. If you can find that part in his book, could you please copy/paste it here?

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Certainly can't disagree with that. You might also say that most KJVo's are so well versed in their KJVo doctrinal perspective that they don't even notice when they have to explain away obvious Anglo bias. </font>[/QUOTE]Some like to preach from the KJV because it makes their sermons twice as long. They have to explain the English in terms that others can understand with more English terms. Reminds me of the time a young man came out of a service and told me that what the preacher said to explain was already in plain English in his NAS Bible.

The pastor was a former trustee at Baylor and SWBTS and a part of the Southern Baptists of Texas that is until he was caught plagiarizing sermons from W.A. Criswell.

8. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

I would have to find the book. I'm currently trying to catalog all of my books to the duey decimal system so maybe I'll run across it then! [​IMG]

But, if you know what "general area" it would be in, you can listen to the whole thing on audio here [​IMG]

http://truthseekers.8m.com/KJVONLY/kjvsounds.html

9. west

west New Member

I am not and never was a KJO .The first year I was saved I read the Bible in KJ .Then a friend told me about the NASB .I bought another Ryrie in NASB .Wow !

10. csmith

csmith New Member

I have been reading the posts on this topic for weeks now without any input of my own. I have always been KJVO. I have pastored a church now for 5 years and have been faithful to my training in that I demonize anything that is not KJV. I have also been trained to demean and disrespect anyone that doesn't believe just like me with respect to bible versions. I have been KJVO to the extent that I believed there were absolutely no errors in the KJV of any type. I believed it to be a version superior even to the manuscripts and translations that preceded it. Just in the last month and a half, three things have happened. 1. I started reading this forum. 2. I met a Christian brother who is not KJVO. 3. I began to discuss and study preservation and inspiration with a current Christian brother who is KJVO. I believe that God has brought this issue to a head in my life for a specific purpose. In the beginning, I was angry with this forum and some of it's posters for presenting challenges to me that I couldn't rebut. I have spent countless hours in the last 30 days reviewing and researching the things I have read on the BB in regards to Bible Translations. I cannot refute them. My new Christian friend is glowing and thriving in his relationship with God and he never picks up the KJV. My other friend is critical, baseless, and angry with me for even looking into the issue itself. I came to the conclusion that I prefer the KJV. I now readily admit the copy errors and spelling and grammatical deficiencies. It no longer threatens God's promise of preservation to me. I feel like a bird that has been released from a cage. My latter friend has quit the church over this issue and gave me the following quote. Would anyone care to let me know if you have heard anyone defend the KJV in this manner? Ps 12:6 just tells me that while GOD words have always been pure spiritually, man has corrupted God's words (penned by man) and God would have to bring man back to his pure word and this would happen seven times through different languages finally ending in English. You can probably see where is is going with this. I want to thank many of you men and women for your pursuit of the truth. It has greatly helped me.

11. natters

natters New Member

What an amazing post, csmith!!! Praise God that he has worked in your life in this way. Continue to trust him and his precious word.

I have heard that argument about Psalm 12:6-7, and I'm sure several of us have as well. The problem with it (besides asking them "how do you know?") is that if God had to bring his word back, then it wasn't "preserved" before it was restored. Also, when comparing the actual words and variations, the KJV is different than any other 6 language Bibles he could name. Thirdly, if his interpretation is correct, that would mean that verse was a lie from the moment it was penned, until 1611.

12. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Ps 12:6 just tells me that while GOD words have always been pure spiritually, man has corrupted God's words (penned by man) and God would have to bring man back to his pure word and this would happen seven times through different languages finally ending in English."

I have to admit that's a new one on me ... and I thought I'd heard them all. This passage is usually used a "proof" that the KJV is the pure word of God because it is the seventh (arbitrarily counting) revision in English.

What are the other languages supposed to be?

13. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

csmith,

Your testimony is one HUGE reason why I post here on the BV/T forum. It is to your testimony that we praise God that He has brought you out of your bondage, brother! [​IMG]

14. csmith

csmith New Member

The other languages are supposed to be as follows:

Hebrew
    Aramaic
    Greek
    Syrian
    Latin
    German
    English

He also states, as many of us believe otherwise, that the context in Psalm 12:6,7 is "words" rather than "people". He refuses to listen to simple logic--rather blaming me for a lack of faith. He felt our disagreement on this was enough to pull his family from our church. It is a terrible thing. I just pray that he will open his heart to the truth.

15. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I used the NASB for more than 10 years until I found the cystral evidence. How would you feel when you read the NASB containing 4,000+ uninspired, unpreserved words?

16. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used the NASB for more than 10 years until I found the cystral evidence. How would you feel when you read the NASB containing 4,000+ uninspired, unpreserved words? </font>[/QUOTE]The NASB doesn't contain any inspired words except maybe the ones that are left untranslated... neither does the KJV.

God never inspired the Bible in English. Period.

17. Askjo

Askjo New Member

God preserved His INSPIRED words in apographs (Psalm 12:6-7). Therefore God preserved His INSPIRED words in most accurate translation for English-speaking people, namely the KJV. So did God for foreigners who can read their Bible in their mother tongue.

&lt;attack on Bibles deleted&gt;

I agree. Are you satisfied?

[ February 23, 2005, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: C4K ]

18. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, cs. German, huh?

19. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent post, csmith! You've broken away from KJVO slavery at last! You've realized it's a non-scriptural myth that has no place in baptist doctrines.

Nothing wrong with continuing to use only the KJV long as you know it's NOT the only valid English BV there is.

However, I have one small disagreement...I believe that in Psalm 12:6, David is COMPARING God's words to the purest precious thing he could think of while writing a song He believed every word of God that he'd read, heard from Nathan or Gad, or spoken by God directly to him was absolutely pure when first spoken to any man. Even in those days, men could refine silver to a very high degree of purity, and to do it seven times would've made it to appear ABSOLUTELY pure to all who saw or used it. Thus, David was COMPARING; he said "pure, AS silver...".

As for the language issue, our God who is more than strong enuff to have given men so many languages is more than strong enough to supply His word in every one of them as He chooses, SIMULTANEOUSLY. Thus, the French, Russians, and Japanese all have Bibles at the same time. However, if they were to be translated into English, we'd have as many different English versions as there'd be other-language Bibles translated.

20. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God preserved His INSPIRED words in apographs (Psalm 12:6-7).</font>[/QUOTE] By now even you should know that these verses do not apply to the preservation of words... and even if they did, the KJV is in no way identified.
    You have aptly demonstrated that this is Askjo's opinion... but you have utterly failed to establish it as a mandate from God.

BTW, God preserved His Word in thousands of hand copied mss... that differ from one another. I don't doubt His ability to preserve and communicate His Word through translations that differ from each other.
    I agree. Are you satisfied? </font>[/QUOTE]Yes except this means that no English words can be the "preservation" of the original language words... this is common sense. I marvel that you are even able to twist a logical pretzel that would allow you to reconcile the two thoughts you expressed in this one post.