1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Want to Teach the Word, but Where Do I Go From Here?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Steven Yeadon, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi,

I have been at this forum for 8 months, and talking on it has convinced me that I desperately want to teach the Word of God to others. I have no idea what this means for me now, though. I had been a false believer for 12 years before becoming a believer on faith a year and half ago. I also went to seminary in that time at a "Moderate" seminary called Asbury Theological Seminary where I studied mainly teaching, Christian apologetics, church history, and theology before dropping out due to medical problems and because I was "too literal" with how I read the bible. I had planned on becoming a "Moderate theologian."

Thus, my pastor, a Southern Baptist, is very worried for me whenever I say I want to do anything where I would have a ministerial role in anyway. I also have a history of severe mental illness, but thankfully I have been well treated in the last two years.

The difference now though is like night and day. I honestly want to teach the Word to others, even though the bible is clear that I will be judged more harshly (James 3:1). However, what is my next step? How does this role function in the church from amateur to elder? What are the options available to me? I don't really know so I came here looking for help.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you thought about ministering to others with Mental Illness?

As far as your next step - often a man is licensed to preach - this is a stepping stone to ordination.
    However, being ordained is not a requirement to teach within a Baptist church.
    Work with your pastor - you may want to start with a minimal role, thereby avoiding any possible
    pitfalls. Just remember, the Devil will attempt to temp you consistently - and this could include others
    in your church, who think that your previous illness would affect your ministry.

As a child, I was sure that the Lord would call me into the ministry. However, I had a severe speech
    impediment
    - so bad, you barely could understand me. Because of this, I was the victim of much verbal bullying -
    but that never deterred me from a potential ministry. If anything - it made me stronger.

Then I joined the Army - after my first enlistment, I was accepted at Bible College but I re-enlisted and
    and stayed in for several more years - However, this did not deter my ministry. I had the opportunity to
    serve in many churches including starting two churches! One in Texas and one in Germany.

So Steven, I commend you for wanting to share the Gospel and I wish you God Speed.

• Like Like x 1