1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I welcome getting cussed out on the streets!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, May 21, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reading a book yesterday and the author made a strong case that if I am not facing opposition in evangelism then I am probably not preaching the gospel strong enough, or against sin. He gave a story of an individual whom was beaten up on the streets in America. No I am not going to preach to warrant that type of response, but getting cussed out or yelled out may be normal for a gospel preacher.

But once in a while I will take my breaks from the LAW in evangelism and do what I did last time, so its good to have BALANCE.

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, you have to be careful you don't start slapping yourself on the back saying, "Boy, am I a great Christian, I am suffering for Jesus, I am a much better Christian than others!".

I am not saying you are doing this, but you have to be careful you don't fall into this type of thought. You will start being completely obnoxious just so people will be offended and curse you out. That is not why you are preaching, you are trying to save lost souls.

Don't forget that.

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But I save no one, its God whom does the saving and grants His elect faith and repentance. Its not about me at all, but about giving the king glory in evangelism. However this passage.

Phil 1:12-18 (ESV) I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel, 13 so that it has become known throughout the whole imperial guard and to all the rest that my imprisonment is for Christ. 14 And most of the brothers, having become confident in the Lord by my imprisonment, are much more bold to speak the word without fear. 15 Some indeed preach Christ from envy and rivalry, but others from good will. 16 The latter do it out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely but thinking to afflict me in my imprisonment. 18 What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice. Yes, and I will rejoice..

We need to be all things to all people as Paul was so some might be won.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    thats just semantics

5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why wait until you're out on the street? Just come to BaptistBoard and tell the Arminians you're Reformed. You'll get plenty of abuse and you don't even have to leave your chair.

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, as humbly as I can say, your OP says otherwise.

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Actually there is equal abuse on both sides. I am thankful that the powers that be created a separate forum for such debates. They can beat each other up all they want and the rest of us who do have interest in other areas of theology and church life can be relatively free of their ugliness.

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Personally, I preach the gospel without the idea of thinking that I am out to deliberately offend people? I am preaching the greatest news in the world. Even to preach on the need for repentance and the reality of hell is not preached with the idea so much to offend but to simply preach the reality of the sinner's need. How or she responds is not up to me. That is up to the Holy Spirit. I have had the message rejected in nice ways and in not so nice ways. If all I ever got was a bunch of cuss words I think I would need to reexamine my preaching style and more importantly my heart. At Mars Hill the Apostle Paul clearly preached the truth and opened the door for further opportunity in a non confrontational way. He wasn't seeking to be cussed out. Yes, the gospel can and does garner that kind of response sometimes but to use a cuss meter as a means of evaluating the effectiveness of the preaching is not good theology. To suggest such a thing reflects someone with an over inflated sense of one's preaching and a martyr's complex.

9. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand what you are saying and to some extend agree and disagree. There is a danger is saying I am not being persecuted, thus I am not working hard enough or I am doing something wrong.

Christian churches in the Baltic states have been beating themselves up since the fall of Communism. They were very used to being persecuted. Now, they have the feeling that as the government is not persecuting them, they must be doing something wrong.

Perhaps you are simply being protected by God ... perhaps not.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats why I take my dog "Kip" with me......ya think twice before messing with him.:godisgood:

I found him on the streets.....homeless and wandering. Kip is the perfect companion for a street ministry. And he don't take no crap. :laugh:

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good points....however everyone who has ever gone out into the field has experienced hecklers......or worse. It goes with the territory. Ive even experienced a few young guys come into a OPC on the boardwalk in Wildwood heckling the pastor during services.

What did George Whitfield do? What did Francis do?

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

Exactly. Paul told the people they were idolaters and almost made it sound good. He told them their unknown god was the true God, though they were ignorant of it.

Acts 17:22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.
    23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

Paul could have condemned them for their idolatry, but he used it to introduce the gospel. This is certainly different from the style most street preachers today employ.

Yeah, if you are out there to get martyr's points, you are out there for the wrong reason.

13. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jehovah's Witnesses feel their message is validated because they get doors slammed in their faces and such.

Though the truth offends people, it is not only truth which offends. Style and personality can offend just as much as the cross.

Also, scripture says the cross is an offense to some, and foolishness to others. Something we are not told is that the Law is an offense....though it can be for some, I'm sure

Many believe that the Law brings us ready to hear the truth of the cross. But if we use the Law in a manner to offend, we have driven them away before the cross ever has a chance to offend them

14. thisnumbersdisconnected

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree.

15. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

:thumbsup:

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ha ha ha....true and he already knows....been there and.....:thumbs:

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh.....seriously?!?

18. sag38

sag38 Active Member

There are non so blind as those who will not see. Only a blind person can't see that there has been equal abuse from some on both sides of the debate. But, this is off topic for this thread so carry on my blind brother.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My critics multiply like rabbits!!!