1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I will pretend for a minute that I an a Calvinist

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by seekingthetruth, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

oh no, not another he has to put on ignore. Maybe it's him, and, uh, not us? :love2: :wavey:

I'm on "ignore" too, yet I get little messages to which I respond graciously, and I get half a dozen or so for a little while, I send him back blessings, then he finally stops. Does that mean I'm really not on ignore? :tear: Perhaps the mods can't really put you on ignore? :confused:

#61 preacher4truth, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2012
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IGNORE is a Good Feature......only you cant put moderators on Ignore.....trust me, I have tried:thumbs:....then it would go from good to GREAT! Alas :laugh:

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Wow, you're right, you can't!!! :tongue3: :laugh:

4. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly. Then he sends me a pm that he's tired of people calling him uneducated. Well if the shoe fits....

At least know the subject and give an honest representation of what the other side believes.

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder why he has not responded to my question.

6. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Who are you calling 'Arminian"?

John

7. seekingthetruth

that is the problem here...knowing what Calvinists believe.

They say that they are "elect" and "prechosen" and "predestined" but when they are questioned about it, then they retract, and say that's really not what they meant.

Give me a break.

And besides, I didnt go on this rampage until Luke/Rick/His highness stated that Jesus was a Calvinist. I have a hard time even typing that lie.

Anyway, you guys can believe whatever you want to, but when you call my Savior a Calvinist, that's when we have a problem.

John

8. seekingthetruth

I just read this again, and again you spout off about how smart you are and how dumb I am.

Arrogance? pride? does this ring a bell?

I didnt think so

John

9. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Well, what some don't seem to understand is that you CAN see someone's post if another poster 'quotes' them, as you did here. I didn't see P4Ts post until you quoted it in your post and since you aren't on my ignore list I can read his post.

I also can see there post if it is reported, which many of his have been in the past. You can also see private messages, obviously. And I have only responded to his many complaints and snarky remarks by quoting references to Proverbs. After a while he picked up on using scripture and quoted a blessing, so don't let him deceive you. And if he denies this I'll just make the PMs public to prove it. :wavey:

I put people on the ignore list who tend to get into a circular "Yuh-huh"/"Uh-huh" type arguments that end up with name calling which my kids do all the time. The formal name for this fallacy is "petitio principii" or "begging the question" and it is the lowest form of debate. It often ends is "ad hominem" (name calling) personal attacks and I hate getting sucked into that. The best way to avoid it is to ignore those who tend to take the discussion that direction. Aaron and Luke, do often get personal and demeaning, but at least they make arguments (sometimes), and I can put up with that. Plus, Aaron is hilarious...and you have your moments too. :) Others just assume the premise up for debate and restate their views over and over then call you names when you point that out... Sorry, but I have better things to do. :)

10. seekingthetruth

If you ask me something that is even halfway intelligent and not meant to demean me, then I will answer.

John

11. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Who is more teachable? Let's see... I actually went from being in one 'camp' to the other thus proving I'm teachable. Can you say that? And no, I don't mean going from being in ignorance of any doctrines of grace to accepting Calvinism (which I also did). Ignorance of a doctrine is not equal to being an 'Arminian' as we do have positive affirmations of doctrine regarding predestination, election and salvation.

And I don't blame you for ignoring the answer I provided... It might require you to go beyond your pat answers. ;)

#71 Skandelon, Feb 4, 2012
  12. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry you were so offended by my question, that certainly was not my intent. Could you please point out to me what it was about my question that you considered unintelligent, and where you thought I was demeaning toward you?

Here is my question again:

-----

You say, "most do not." My question is "Why not?"

Let's look at an example. You and your next door neighbor are both unsaved. You and he go to the same church and attend the same service. You even sit side by side. You hear the gospel, believe, and are saved. Your neighbor hears the same message, does not believe, and leaves lost.

What is different between you and your neighbor? Why did you believe and why did he not believe? What is the difference between you and your neighbor?

-----

I don't see anything in that question that could be considered unintelligent or demeaning. It was, and is, an honest and sincere question regarding the difference, as you see it, between a person who hears the gospel and is saved and a person who hears the gospel but remains lost.

I realize it is a hard question to answer. I certainly found it so many decades ago when a godly man asked me the same question. It caused me to think long and hard on the answer.

So, as there is nothing that I am aware of that is unintelligent nor demeaning in the question could you please try to answer it for me?

Thank you.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Humor is a wonderful equalizer brother......what ever our stance, we all must laugh to break the tension. For me though, it is a moral imperative to consider each other brethren & not go forward with the vitriol.... rather we should be less ad hominem & more kind & patient (yea I know, I can be defiant) but its generally aimed at people who are aggressive toward me. A brother last night took me to the woodshed & admonished me for my nasty commentary towards another. He also reminded me of the people who lurk in the shadows & are judging us all for our actions. Much food for thought.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Out of curiosity Tom, I cant see the size & style of Bike you have there. Im an enthusiast so can you provide some detail?

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That should never be a problem. Although I don't self-identify as a "Calvinist" due to the negative connotations associated with that word, I am a Particular Baptist, believing in Particular Redemption.
    I certainly consider myself to be numbered among the elect, as I am a believer, saved by the sacrifice of Christ on my behalf. And, yes, I am predestined to be conformed to the image of Christ, slowing and painfully in this life, but instantly and gloriously in the next life.
    I suspect the problem may be that you have a different definition of "Calvinist" than some of the others on this forum.

I agree with you that we often see more arrogance, pride, and name calling in this type of discussion than a solid airing of the facts, and that should never be. We are, after all, brothers and sisters in Christ. We should act like it.

When Jesus said, in John 15:16 "You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you." Couldn't that be understood to be deterministic? It seems to me that Jesus believed in Particular Redemption.

Would you agree that Jesus said He came to redeem only those whom the Father had given to Him? John 6:38 "For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 39 This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day."

16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is my Honda Valkyrie. 1500 cc horizontally opposed 6 cylinder with 6 single down-draft carburetors feeding short-tube ram induction.

Due to the increasing loss of mobility due to my illness I can no longer ride it as it is too heavy for me so I gave it to my son-in-law. But I still ride my Honda Shadow VT 1100 C. :)

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    sorry about your illness brother......I have one also that eliminated my own riding but I do still love those machines!:love2:

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me too. I still have 3. Down from a high of 9. :D:D

19. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Why one comes and another doesn't isn't because of God, but them.

It all depends on how you want to see ALL, I agree with Spurgeon.

God wants all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth, Paul wasn't lying.

So man can only blame themselves and they have no excuse.

It is only the one who the Father draws that will come and God said He will keep the meek and humble who will trust in the Lord.

He also said He will hide the truth from the wise and learned those who lean on their own understanding and not trust in the Lord. Those who are wise in their own eyes.

I promise you this trust in the Lord where there is no work involved and He will lead you or direct your path to eternal life.

#79 psalms109:31, Feb 4, 2012
  20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :(Yea, ahhh nobody asked you.... the question is being directed to whats his face.... (seekingthetruth) :tongue3:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.