1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured "I will see you later." Making that statement is a sin!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Wesley Briggman, Jun 11, 2021 at 11:44 AM.

1. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    (Jas 4:13 ESV) Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit"--
    (Jas 4:14 ESV) yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.
    (Jas 4:15 ESV) Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that."
    (Jas 4:16 ESV) As it is, you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil.
    (Jas 4:17 ESV) So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If they are a believer, I will see them later.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wesley Briggman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, because of the shed blood of Jesus Christ, all of our sins are washed away! Praise God.
    You can deny scripture if you wish.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Thank God all sins are forgiven, even if we forget to say,”I’ll see you later, God willing”.

peace to you

5. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Galatians 2:11-14 [ESV]
    But when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. For before certain men came from James, he was eating with the Gentiles; but when they came he drew back and separated himself, fearing the circumcision party. And the rest of the Jews acted hypocritically along with him, so that even Barnabas was led astray by their hypocrisy. But when I saw that their conduct was not in step with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas before them all, "If you, though a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you force the Gentiles to live like Jews?"
    Galatians 5:7-12 [ESV]
    You were running well. Who hindered you from obeying the truth? This persuasion is not from him who calls you. A little leaven leavens the whole lump. I have confidence in the Lord that you will take no other view, and the one who is troubling you will bear the penalty, whoever he is. But if I, brothers, still preach circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been removed. I wish those who unsettle you would emasculate themselves!
    2 Pe 3:14-18 [ESV]
    Therefore, beloved, since you are waiting for these, be diligent to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace. And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures. You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, take care that you are not carried away with the error of lawless people and lose your own stability. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.​

• Like Like x 1
  6. Paul from Antioch

Paul from Antioch Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This post isn't so much about seeing one another in the next life. Rather, I would like to know how you would both interpret AND what "punishment(s) will be doled out to someone if she/he openly violates these situations. Here's my example: In 1 Chronicles 29 the Bible lists the punishments God offered King David for openly violating His command not to number His people. Do these kinds of punishments still hold true for us in the NT Era? A case in point would be this: A couple marries, & in the 20 year span of their marriage God gave them 3 daughters. During this time period the father many times tells his wife that neither he nor their daughters can live without his wife.. Then the wife & mother is killed in an automobile accident & thus

7. Paul from Antioch

Faith:
    Baptist

8. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Explain me how I am denying Scripture. If I don't see them later on this Earth, I will see them later in Heaven.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Wesley Briggman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In regard to this scripture, how would it apply is I
    Sleep on it. It might come to you.

10. TurtleSox

TurtleSox New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God commanded David to number his people, take a Census. 2 Samuel 24.
    Satan rose up and commanded David to number God's people, take a census. 1 Chronicles 21.

When I tell someone I'll see them later it is not a sin. 1 John 3. It is trust in my Father that he will open my eyes on the morrow. And if not, I'll be blessed instead to know why. :D

• Like Like x 2
  11. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe you sleep on it and you come up with an answer.

12. Wesley Briggman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What if I said:
    "Wednesday or Thursday I will go into Atlanta and spend a week there dealing with employee issues."

13. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It might be a sin. Guess it would depend on the intent in your heart.
    I always say "I plan to ... ".

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Wesley Briggman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good idea. I am trying to be in compliance with God's revealed will. I still catch myself saying: I'll be back..., etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. TurtleSox

TurtleSox New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it wrong that I just heard Arnold Schwarzenegger's voice saying that? :Thumbsdown :p

16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why didn't you say, "With the Lord's will, I tell you that making that statement is a sin?"

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Paul from Antioch

Faith:
    Baptist
    So far, I haven't seen any posts that specifically state what will happen to the husband/father in the situation I posed; and furthermore, I did not see any very specific Bible verse(s) that specifically apply to or pertain to the situation I posted. The reason why I've sked this of you BB folks is that I'm trying to minister to the husband/father who is in the very circumstance(s) that I posted in the OP. I personally haven't found any very specific Bible verse(s) that specifically apply to his situation, & I'd like to do more than merely tell him, "Well, I don't seem to find anything in the Bible that addresses the exact situation in which you're find yourself." Please help me in this situation because he is a very dear friend & also a relatively new convert to Christianity.

18. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.

John 3:14-18 [NKJV]
    14 "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 "that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. 16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 "For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. 18 "He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.​
    • A reminder of what Jesus came for and what Jesus did and why Jesus did it.
    • Jesus WAS lifted up on the Cross
    • Those who believe … NOT perish … HAVE a EVERLASTING life
    • God so LOVED
    • Believers ARE NOT CONDEMNED.

If you were their Father and Grandfather, would YOU punish them for loving their wife/mother now that they have lost her because of the words they chose to express that love?

As a mere man, what would YOUR judgement be? What is RIGHT and WRONG?

Why do we think so much less of a PERFECT father in Heaven?

19. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    In what universe is LOVE ever an evil thing to be ashamed of and punished for?
    :rolleyes:

Romans 8:1-2 [NKJV]
    There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.​

1 Corinthians 7:1-9 [NKJV]
    1 Now concerning the things of which you wrote to me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman. 2 Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband. 3 Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. 5 Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 But I say this as a concession, not as a commandment. 7 For I wish that all men were even as I myself. But each one has his own gift from God, one in this manner and another in that. 8 But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am; 9 but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.​

20. Paul from Antioch

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand what you are trying to tell me from 1 Corinthians 7 , but as far as this man's "punishment" (or lack of it) and/or his "losing of 'Rewards'," you still have not addressed that particular issue so far as showing me what the Bible does specifically says about these particular issues. Please let me know about how to Biblically minister to this man's issues. Thanks in advance for whatever Biblical help you can provide for me.