1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I would like to ask...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Pastor Sam, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Anti-Alexandrian

He's not! I'm Just a sinner saved by God's grace!!!

2. Anti-Alexandrian

And it is!!! People have NEVER been so confused over the subject of final authority.I know who is NOT behind the confusion!1 Corinthians 14:33!!!

3. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Good morning to you, MV-Neverist! [​IMG]

Yep! God's Word is found in all five of those translations. Every doctrine is there.

Why not? They both contain God's Word. I read the two verses you gave....neither said anything about translations. One was talking about where my treasure is (which is in heavenly things, in God) and the other was talking about not being able to serve both God and Money, which I absolutely agree with. Maybe you gave the wrong references? :confused:

God Bless You,
    Neal

[ June 18, 2003, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: neal4christ ]

4. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Which seems like the work of Satan, people coming to faith in Christ through many fine MVs or Christians arguing about which version of the Bible to use?

God Bless You,
    Neal

5. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Ah yes, I like that verse.

"For God is not a God of disorder but of peace." I Cor. 14:33a, NIV

or if you like:

"For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace." I Cor. 14:33a, KJV

Well, if we are free to apply that verse to what we will, I would like to think that God would not want us in the 21st century to be confused by 17th century English. I know, that is out of context, but bear with me, please. [​IMG]

God Bless You,
    Neal

6. BrianT

BrianT New Member

The KJV was the 17th complete English Bible. That must have been "confusing" for Christians living in the 17th century. :rolleyes:

7. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

So it is my choice but yet you will still hold me to your standard that you have made up. That makes a lot of sense. :rolleyes:

Neal

P.S. My final authority is God Almighty. How about you?
    </font>[/QUOTE]David Koresh said that God was his authority too. Did that make him right? Anyone can say that God is their authority, but God has already supplied us with his authority in black & white.

8. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Oh, I agree that God left us the Bible for instruction and to relay His message to us. But ultimately God Almighty is our 'final' authority, is He not?

God Bless You,
    Neal

9. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

I just realized that I answered the rabbit that you let loose. [​IMG] Anyway, why is it okay for me to have a choice and yet be held to the standard you have created?

God Bless You,
    Neal

10. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Yeah, he must be thrilled by all the people that have come to salvation through the use of the NIV, NKJV, and NASB. His plan must really be working. :rolleyes:

Neal

P.S. Or his plan could be to get Christians to fuss and argue over translations and cause divisions in Christ's church because of Bible versions. I'll let you decide which is the work of Satan, people coming to salvation or divisions among Christians over translations. :confused:
    </font>[/QUOTE]Now when has God ever allowed the devil to get the glory. I did say that they contain the word of God, just like a tract.

Your right, the devil has caused Christians to fuss and argue over translations. The modern versions have caused confusion among the body of Christ, and we all know who the author of confusing is.

11. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

This is not totally true. I have shared before that a gentleman at my church, in his 50's, grew up using the KJV. This past Christmas he received a NKJV. He said that for the first time in his life he understood the Scriptures and they came alive to him. I have heard of many others and seen firsthand those who begin to understand the Word of God when they started using a faithful MV. Is that confusion or clarification? Who is behind that? Satan? Is he allowing people to understand the Word of God for the first time? If they couldn't understand the KJV, wouldn't he want them to continue to use it?

God Bless You,
    Neal

12. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Oh, I agree that God left us the Bible for instruction and to relay His message to us. But ultimately God Almighty is our 'final' authority, is He not?

God Bless You,
    Neal
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yes He is, but God will not go against His word. If the Bible is not perfect, then anyone can say, "God told me."

13. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

I agree totally. [​IMG]

God Bless You,
    Neal

14. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

This is not totally true. I have shared before that a gentleman at my church, in his 50's, grew up using the KJV. This past Christmas he received a NKJV. He said that for the first time in his life he understood the Scriptures and they came alive to him. I have heard of many others and seen firsthand those who begin to understand the Word of God when they started using a faithful MV. Is that confusion or clarification? Who is behind that? Satan? Is he allowing people to understand the Word of God for the first time? If they couldn't understand the KJV, wouldn't he want them to continue to use it?

God Bless You,
    Neal
    </font>[/QUOTE]Most people grew up with the King James Bible, but never read it. If you need help understanding the Bible, ask God for help, after all, it's His book. If a word is too hard to understand, look in the dictionary. Maybe God wants you to study that particuliar verse, chatper more before He will reveal the answer you are seeking. I believe that if my little girl, which is 7 years old, can read and understand how to be saved, I believe and pray that if she sticks with the King James Bible, she will be able to understand a great deal more when she is 50.

15. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

This applies to understanding the significance, not the meaning. The words and sentence structure should be plain and in the normal language of the people. They were when it was written. There is an interesting comparison. In times past, there was a group of people determined to keep the Scriptures out of the common language. Today there is a group of people desirous to do the same thing. Then the language was latin; now it is old fashioned English.

Won't help with sentence structure and won't help help if you pick the wrong definition because you don't know what the Greek or Hebrew word meant.

But chances are that if she switched to a MV, rather than understanding a great deal more when she is 50, she would understand even more than that, and would have a much more effective and fruitful ministry. The fact is that in 43 years, the KJV will be used even less than it is now. It will be understood by fewer people than it is now.

God did not intend his word to be hard to understand. We should reject the idea that he wants it to be hard to understand now.

16. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Homebound, what you have said is very good. But is that a requirement just to understand the Bible? You know, not everyone has the same mental capacity. I don't think the wisdom that James was talking about had to do with understanding 17th century English. If you want to really be consistent, we should all ask God to give us the wisdom to understand Greek. After all, that is the language He chose for the NT, not English. But I really don't see how that verse has to do with language. The things in the Bible are hard enough to understand, much less with a language barrier. I think God would be much more concerned with giving us wisdom to understand doctrine rather than Elizabethan English. And to say someone lacks spiritual maturity because they can't understand 17th century would be very wrong and rather arrogant (I am not saying that is what you are saying).

That is great that your daughter can understand the KJV. She sounds like a very intelligent young lady. You should be very proud of her. [​IMG]

God Bless You,
    Neal

17. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

But was that not why the modern versions came around, to put the King James Bible in a more modern language? If not, why hasn't anyone done this?

Since the originals are lost, how can we know what the Greek and Hebrew said.?

If she switches, the only thing that she will understand is how to doubt God's word.

If this happens, the only reason for it would be that the churches have failed to preach God's perfect word. If this were to happen, I can describe it with one word, chaos. I pray that Christ returns before then.

18. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Chaos is what the KJVO crowd has brought to the Body of Christ. If all English speaking christians were to use a modern version of the scripture, things would be much better than they are now. It would be much easier to discuss REAL biblical situations instead of this constant bickering about the KJV.

19. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

neal4christ, I can understand how the language from the King James Bible is different from today. I have said before that I believe our language today is not as pure as were back then. I think God saw that the world's universal language would be English and from that he decided to put his Holy Word in the English language.

Thank you for the kind words. I pray that my little girl seeks out God's perfect will in her life and yes I am very, very proud of her. BTW, she was saved at age 5.

20. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Terry, you say KJVO and I say MVist. Who is correct? BTW, if it makes any difference at all, the King James was here before any MV.