1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I'd like some info on reformed baptist churches.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Chris L., Aug 6, 2006.

1. Chris L.

Chris L. New Member

Hello brothers and sisters in Christ,

This is my first post here, and I'd like some info on the reformed baptist movement.

I'm looking for an independent baptist church that has all the best of what the IFB churches have to offer, but without all the nonsense; constant preaching of socio-political issues, extreme KJV onlyism, man worship, etc.

I understand that no church is perfect, but I'm certainly one who believes that many IFB churches today need to be reformed, and the reformed baptist movement sounds like a good thing.

Does anybody here attend one of these churches? Are there any good reasons why I should avoid them?

2. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

#2 2BHizown, Aug 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2006
  3. Chris L.

Chris L. New Member

Thanks 2BHiztown for the link.

In the Founders Ministries FAQ, The question is asked: "Do you really think the SBC can be reformed"? to which they more or less said yes.

My question is why would a reformed baptist movement want to reform the SBC anyway? Shouldn't they just avoid them altogether? Are reformed baptist churches independent? I've noticed that John MacArthur and Dr. James White have some connections with this movement. Are they reformed baptists? I thought that their ministries/churches were non-denominational.

This sounds too much like mainstream new-evangalical to me.

4. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

SBC has drifted far from its original connections with the doctrines of grace. I think it is likely what they were referring to, hoping for a return to scriptural expoisitory preaching and adherence to the scriptures! With a new president some hope for a return to their roots, though is is unlikely with a pres that is not truly reformed himself!

A 'google' search on 'reformed baptist' will bring up a wealth of info!

5. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

By reformed do you mean holding to traditional theology from the Reformation or reformed in the sense of changing policies?

God Bless,
    ANdy

6. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

I would say holding to the doctrines of grace which were clarified by Augustine and others afterward throughout the reformation following Luther and Calvin. As Spurgeon said, Calvinism is a nickname for sound biblical doctrine!

7. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hello Chris, I share your concern as I am an IFB that has converted to reformed doctrine. I would like to be part of a movement within the IFB that parallels the Founders in the SBC. I'll keep an eye on this thread and see where it goes.

As Andy alluded to, are you concerned about reformed DOCTRINE or other issues?

8. Chris L.

Chris L. New Member

Read my original post in this thread. It explains exactly what I'm looking for in a reformed baptist church, and I don't know exactly what you mean by reformed doctrine. If it's man made unbiblical doctrine like extreme KJV onlyism, etc. Yes, I'm for the reformation of things like that.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Chris

Reformed Doctrine usually refers to the Doctrines held by 'Reformed' Churches. These usually include (but are not limited to) Dutch Reformed Church, Lutheran Churches, Presbyterian Churches, and Episcopal Churches.

If they refer to the Westminster Confession of Faith - they may or may not be 'reformed' - they may be Calvinistic. Most Reformed churches hold to a form of 'calvinism'.

Most Baptists usually separate from reformed theologies because of infant baptism and separation of church and state. There are many other differences, but these are usually the theologies that Baptist object to the most often. When it comes to the Lord's Supper, church organization, discipleship, evangelism, and other theologies you may find Baptists that agree with the Reformed churches in some of these theologies.

Those Baptistic churches that have more in common with Reformed Theology sometimes call themselves Reformed Baptist Churches - in my experience. I have not met any that hold to infant baptism, but they hold strongly to the 5-points (often 6-point) of Calvinism.

So theCalvinism confusion of some answering your question may be a difference in definitions - I think everyone agrees in substance, but differs in definition.

God bless

Humbly your servant

Wayne

10. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

The best way to know what a Reformed Baptist Church believes is to read the 1689 London Confession which is what most of them, if not all, hold to. Google it, it's all over the internet.

Other than the confession, it seems that RBC's identify more closely with the overall cause of the reformation and reject landmarkism, and accordingly, are not so eager to identify with anabaptists (for good reason IMO).