1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ideas on how to love and serve others in church

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jun 2, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So vehicle repair costs and medical costs plus student loans are addictions? Last year I had some unemployment time after I moved and I did not collect a check because I quit when I moved. Unfortunately I had costs come up.

2. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wait a minute here.. The second video is part of a class assignment so obviously the student will be listening if they expect a decent grade. Nice try.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

Where did you get that information? I did not see that anywhere.

This is what the video said;

Where does it say this was some sort of assignment?

Maybe you should try talking to people like this man does, then maybe you would get 500 people at a time to listen to the gospel without screaming and cursing at you.

You do not like to learn.

4. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

If they are not screaming and cursing at him, then he will not be convinced that the "World hates him, and he is being persecuted for righteousness' sake".

IMO...he takes a certain comfort in being cursed at because he can tell himself that he is TRULY preaching the gospel. If people actually listened, I think he'd be concerned that he was compromising the gospel, or being too "seeker sensitive or worldly" or preaching a "cheap grace".
    See here:
    He needs to SEE "the gospel" be the stumblingblock and rock of offense that the Scriptures say it can be. Not considering the possiblity that his presentation is the "rock of offense" and not the gospel per se. Honestly, if people took his preaching to heart and listened and responded positively, I actually think he'd second-guess himself.

#24 Inspector Javert, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
  5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My critics multiply like Rabbits!

[​IMG]

#25 evangelist6589, Jun 4, 2014
  6. Inspector Javert

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hogwash. I have had many chats with people on the streets and taken some out to lunch and given food to the homeless. You just want to attack me.

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WinMan I got a DVD for you to buy as its abut open air preaching and the MANY different styles of it. You do not seem educated on this topic.

http://gostandspeakdvd.tumblr.com

#28 evangelist6589, Jun 4, 2014
  9. Inspector Javert

I'm not "attacking" you......
    I'm pointing out my (mere opinion) that you derive a certain form of comfort in being "attacked".
    I've seen that before.

You don't have to take what I say to heart. But it's not meant to hurt you or deride you in any way. Some hard-line I.F.B's are like that sometimes....not convinced they are doing the right thing unless they are being "attacked".

You may take it or leave it:
    Just don't play the martyr.

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

John, I am not going to buy those DVDs.

All I can say is the guy speaking at the university seems to be doing a much better job of getting people to consider the gospel than that other guy. That first video was embarrassing if you ask me. Jesus said not to cast pearls before swine, and those folks were swine. That said, standing and yelling at people calling them sinners will rile folks up every time.

It's up to you, but I would rather have a decent orderly scene where folks are listening and asking questions. But maybe that is just me.

11. Inspector Javert

12. Inspector Javert

That's because, whether they admit it to themselves or not in "so many words"...most modern Americans already KNOW they are sinners....

It's usually pretty easy to convince them of that...that's why they are already looking for a solution. Problem is, they don't know where to turn.

Screaming to the masses that they are screwed up is not usually effective...they want the cure, that's where Christ comes in.

Christ is what they DON'T know. They are already reading the Dhali Lama, listening to Deepak Chopra's heresies on Oprah, turning to Kundalini Yoga and Buddhism because they know they're screwed up....they're just looking for a REAL source of light.

Evan thinks they need the "Law" still....
    They probably don't.....

They need the cure.

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You wont hear my argument, then I won't hear yours. Its that simple.

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First I do not agree with those that wear shirts antagonizing people nor those that hold up signs doing the same thing. Also when I open air I do not attack homosexuals, nor others, but I just randomly preach verses and usually start in Romans. As a consequence I do not get the attention like those holding up signs and or wearing shirts but thats okay.

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe I made my decision about the booth. I will visit it but I will witness on my own. Contrary to popular critic belief I do not think street preaching is the only way to witness, although my critics will never hear this side of the story. At this event I do not plan to street preach, just talk with anyone that will listen.

17. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

If you meet a man in the morning and he is a jerk to you, you have met a jerk. If everyone you meet is a jerk, YOU are the jerk...

18. thisnumbersdisconnected

Debt addiction is more than compulsive shopping. Someone who is addicted to debt uses debt as a crutch for solving their financial and personal problems without any plan for living differently or getting out of debt. They also use it as an excuse for never improving their financial situation, and in fact rather like to wallow in their difficulties by suggesting they are far too big to resolve or that life circumstances make it impossible to solve, rather than just digging in and resolving to pay off the debt, no matter how long it takes. Other signs include living paycheck to paycheck and never planning for the future, constantly being in financial crisis, or being unwilling to take care of oneself in order to pay creditors.

Sound familiar, John?

#38 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014
  19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Evan - Is your wife working as well to pay off debts? You both have no children so this is the time to buckle down and get that debt paid off. You buy books. Put that money towards your debt instead. Use your local library and your church library. Sell those things you don't need. You CAN pay off debt - I've seen it done on very small salaries by people who live in expensive areas. The key here though is .... desire. If you desire to pay off your debt and be a man of your word (you promised to pay it off when you took the debt), then you do everything possible to pay it down, even going so far as to sell plasma if needed.

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Actually she has a child and her income goes towards him. We live in a costly area of Colorado. I do not buy many new books as most are USED or FREE believe me I shop online sites. But regardless it would be less than $300 so a pinch in the wind of my debt level due to student loans from a long time ago.

The key is to continue to eye job sites for better paying positions allowing me to make progress on my debts. I remember a caller called Dave a month or so ago with a under 30K job like mine and allot of debt. He suggested she better her job skills as what she made was just living money.