1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ideas on how to love and serve others in church

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jun 2, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Did Jesus condemn John the Baptist? Nope.

2. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

There you go again... not being a man and pointing the finger of blame at your wife. Yet you still fail to understand where the problem lies!

3. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

John the Baptist didn't use his debt as an excuse and blame his problems on his wife. He lived in the desert and ate bugs.

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

Nope, but show me where John the Baptist yelled the Ten Commandments at people. He told people to believe on the one who should come after him, Jesus Christ.

Acts 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
    5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Look what happened here. Paul told the people what John the Baptist preached, that they should believe on Jesus. Not one word about the Ten Commandments. No shouting either that I can tell.

And what happened? Everybody was baptized in the name of Jesus!

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Satan is at work here. But not to worry as the gospel is far beyond me and my problems. How many of you attend churches that are in debt? How many of you are in debt with a mortgage, medical, or car loans? I am willing to bet 99% of the posters on this board. Good thing for me I read The Way of the Master minute everyday, you should too.

http://www.wayofthemasterminute.com

6. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

Still being the martyr....

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Our church has no debt at all even though we went through an expansion of our building facility (cost over a million), we had a $250,000 renovation on a historic church that we did not plan on and we are currently in the process of renting a warehouse and are ready to renovate if we get the building permits - and we are doing it with cash in the bank. We don't do any work unless we have the cash to do so.

Personally, we just put some money on our home equity line of credit because it was a fast way to get the cash but we are shuffling around other cash we have to pay it off so while technically we have debt, it is very temporary and we will have it paid off in a week or two.

So at least one family and one church is debt free here.

Additionally, there is a difference between getting into debt and working hard to get that debt down and just saying "Oh well, I can't pay it off." When we had debt, we worked extra hours, sold what we could and cut back on living expenses until we could get it paid off.

And what does Way of the Master have to do with debt? Is he teaching you that debt is OK and to not worry about it? If so, he is in error.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A part time job at $12 an hour (let's say you clear $10 an hour) at 15 hours a week will get you $150 a week. That's $600 a month that could go towards paying down the loans you PROMISED to repay. $600 a month is $7200 a year. You would have your loans paid off in just over 8 years if you worked diligently on it and you can pay it off even sooner if your income increases. I think that's doable!

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Anyone who takes $100,000 in student loans is a fool. My daughter will be graduating from grad school with a doctorate in audiology with under $30,000 in debt, have 100% placement when she gets out with a starting salary of $75,000. How did she do this? Go to less expensive schools, work two jobs while attending school and being diligent and frugal with her money. She told her sister last week that she couldn't go to the movies ($15) because she had no money. She has over $4000 in the bank but some of that is earmarked to pay off a credit card balance she had (she paid her first month's rent and security deposit on her first apartment which was $2020 and she had her tuition from her last semester at school on there as well for $587 plus a few smaller things like gas). She pays her own car insurance and all car expenses as well as clothing and entertainment yet as a student with two part time jobs, she was able to have the cash for those expenses because she's careful with her money. Now she will have rent on her new apartment (one bedroom in a three bedroom apartment with two roommates in East Harlem, NY) of $1010 a month plus utilities. And I have no doubt that she just might be able to make that money - while getting a doctorate and working diligently part time.

As for people paying off their debts, here are a few who have paid off large debts:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/how-we-paid-off--440-500-in-debt-192100598.html

10. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When a person borrows money they contract to repay the debt. The lender allows you to use their money for a period of time trusting the borrower to be honorable and uphold their part of the contract by repaying the debt. Nobody is ever forced into debt. Borrowing somebody else's money requires a deliberate decision on the part of the borrower. It also requires integrity to keep the promises you make.

To do anything less is dishonest if not outright stealing. What does that do to the testimony of a Christian person? What is your testimony to the bill collectors, bankers, landlords and utility companies?

There is a big difference between can't pay my debts and won't pay them.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This was not the question. The question was how would someone with 100K in student loans debts pay them off? Or perhaps even 40-60K? I have heard callers whom failed to get their degree and or failed to get a job in their industry, but had lots of debt and a little income. How would they pay off their debts if say a student failed his last year of med school or lawyer school?

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one but you ever said I was not paying off my debts. Don't put words into my mouth.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting lots of stories but of the two I read not a single mention of their income. I have heard many callers on the Ramsey show say they were debt free but all with high incomes. I have yet to hear a caller scream he/she was debt free on a little income like mine. I have heard many call with my debt to income ratio and every time he tells them to find a better paying job.

But I know you won't hear this as your intent is to criticize me, but I plan to search for a second job this weekend.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Does this work for you?

http://www.youneedabudget.com/blog/...debt-in-18-months-on-a-35000-per-year-income/

Yes, you need more income. Get off your rear and get a second and third job if necessary. Your wife should as well. Now is the time to buckle down and pay down those commitments you have made. A higher paying job is nice but not everyone can get one so you make due with working more. Is it hard? Absolutely but life is hard. All my life my father had 2 jobs even though he was a New York City cop. It was just what he had to do to make ends meet.

15. thisnumbersdisconnected

Thanks for the follow-up on that, Shag. I give up. He only dealt with two points out of seven I gave him on that post. He doesn't want to pay off the debt, but he sure does like to complain.

All we can do is pray for him. I'd suggest we all stop replying. He has no real interest in what we have to say.

He's like the world -- "do what I want when I want, and want what I want when I want."

Terrible witness.

16. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

:thumbs: ...