1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Identifying The Word of God.

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Jacob59, Feb 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacob59

Jacob59 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "The word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, ... Is a discerner of the thoughts and intentions of the heart." (Heb. 4:12)
    If any particular writing or speaking does not do all of this, then by definition it is not the Word if God.

The expressed Word of God needs no approval, no explanation, no validation, no consensus, no enablement by "letting" or by "allowing" or by prayer. It cannot be enlarged. It cannot be added upon. It cannot be put away. It operates as it is purposed to do by God.

Even as all Scripture surely is "Given by inspiration of God," no Scripture makes the statement "The Word of God is Inspired." Circular human logic attempts just that, and fails, stating "All Scripture is God's Inspired Word, because all Inspired Word we have is Scripture."

Creation was not inspired into being. Salvation is not inspired into hearts. Christ inspired no healing of the sick. Jesus did not dispel Satan with inspiration. Communion and Baptism were not inspired to be done. Christ was not inspired to bleed, die, resurrect. Jesus did not inspire His Apostles to found The Church.

Inspired Scripture can only "profit for doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness." Inspiration by the Spirit does not create or demand, it edifies and transforms. God's Word cannot be resisted, but the inspiration of the Spirit can be opposed and the Spirit "grieved."

Inspired NT Scripture indeed is miraculously provided and preserved by God, having upon it His imprint. But to worship it as did Cunning Pharisees upon their Torah, and as do Adamant Exegeting Reformists upon Greek Text, is to not know the Savior.

Jesus identified the error of worshipping Scripture. "Search the Scriptures; for in them you think you have eternal life; and they are they which testify of me. And you will not come to me."

#1 Jacob59, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God told Isaiah, ". . . So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. . . ." Jesus told Satan, "It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

3. Jacob59

Jacob59 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, The awesome and powerful Word of God through His Prophet Isaiah. Were you perhaps engaging some aspect of this discussion?

4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you or do you not identify the 66 books of our Bible as the word of God?

5. Jacob59

Jacob59 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The OT is the declared Word of God. No place in Scripture indicates the NT writers were Prophets. Paul wrote in 1 Cor. 7:12, "Speak I, not the Lord. Similar statements in 1 Cor. 7:25 & 2 Cor. 8:8.

All of Scripture is at least Divinely inspired Wisdom. Peter stated Paul's material was "wisdom" like other Scripture. Peter cited some OT Prophecy, and would have assumed all OT was God's Word.

Why do you ask? You are certainly welcome to read those, and get back to us.

Regards.

6. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Were you perhaps engaging some aspect of this discussion?"

Shows your sense of freedom. That not in scripture?

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Inspired

Each word in the original autographs was given to the human authors by God. God used the vocabulary of the human author and the understanding of the human author, but sometimes those words conveyed more than what the human author understood. For example, foretelling something in the immediate or near future, as well as something applicable to end times.

Our 66 books were chosen by men, based on their recognition of scripture. They used several tests such as initial acceptance as God's word.

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are all things written in the Bible originally inspired by God?

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. Jacob59

Jacob59 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My "sense of freedom?" Lol. Not part of the discussion, here.

Speak a sentient thought upon the topic of this thread.

11. Jacob59

Jacob59 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    White knuckling the issue with dark font is not defending Scripture. "Speak I, not the Lord." 1 Cor. 7:12.

There should be 67 books. Jude extensively quotes the Book of Enoch. Does that sound like 66 is "plenary?" Nope.

12. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    OK. I'll make a thought and you can count it as sent.

Many of these statements you made about what the word of God is and is not:

"If any particular writing or speaking does not do all of this, then by definition it is not the Word if God.

The expressed Word of God needs no approval, no explanation, no validation, no consensus, no enablement by "letting" or by "allowing" or by prayer. It cannot be enlarged. It cannot be added upon. It cannot be put away. It operates as it is purposed to do by God.

Even as all Scripture surely is "Given by inspiration of God," no Scripture makes the statement "The Word of God is Inspired." Circular human logic attempts just that, and fails, stating "All Scripture is God's Inspired Word, because all Inspired Word we have is Scripture."

Creation was not inspired into being. Salvation is not inspired into hearts. Christ inspired no healing of the sick. Jesus did not dispel Satan with inspiration. Communion and Baptism were not inspired to be done. Christ was not inspired to bleed, die, resurrect. Jesus did not inspire His Apostles to found The Church.

Inspired Scripture can only "profit for doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness." Inspiration by the Spirit does not create or demand, it edifies and transforms. God's Word cannot be resisted, but the inspiration of the Spirit can be opposed and the Spirit "grieved.""

sound like a theological philosophy.

High level writing style and very logical but my poor eyes do not see any bible references to back up the statements.

Regarding the verse below, did He actually say it was worship?

You say it, but perhaps it was something else.

Jesus identified the error of worshipping Scripture. "Search the Scriptures; for in them you think you have eternal life; and they are they which testify of me. And you will not come to me."

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To assume 1 Corinthians 7:12 is saying none of Paul's writings are the inspired word of God is nonsense.

Jesus gave specific instructions and Paul made clear what those were, see for example 1 Corinthians 7:10. But when Paul is presenting his words, he is presenting his inspired words. Thus the claim that the phrase "I say" means Paul's non-inspired opinion is hogwash.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Jacob59

Jacob59 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Webster's New World, "worship: extreme devotion or intense love or admiration of any kind."

Scripture is not to have our extreme devotion or intense love or admiration of any kind. God is to have our extreme love, intense love, admiration.

Theologians have extreme devotion and admiration to Scripture. That is why they pontificate upon it. Do church preachers also pontificate with devotion to it? Or, do church preachers materially demonstrated Scripture? Yes? No?

15. Jacob59

Jacob59 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, Paul did display his non inspired personal words.

16. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As the OP is now banned, this thread is closed.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.