1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Idol Factories

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Oct 17, 2014.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My statement still works.

In addition an activity can be idolatry.

Colossians 3:5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

That is not to say that human communications and socializing is ALL idolatry.

It's kind of like eating and drinking which can become gluttony.

Stop and think about it ITL, the time folks use to communicate and socialize using these modern devices, now almost every where they go including church.

Humanly speaking question: Is (or could it be) that God is jealous of the time some of us spend on FaceBook, etc...

HankD

#21 HankD, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you know people that pray to their computer? Pay homage to their cell phone?

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right ITL, no I have never seen that.

But it doesn't have to be a tangible item made of gold or silver or clay and we don't have to pray to it - what we serve is another measure of idolatry.

Look again at the passage in the post:

Colossians 3:5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

It is the means and measurement by which you or I serve and/or put something or someone above or before God.

It could even be (IMO) innocent things which in their proper perspective are good and even enhance our Christian joy. Sports, bowling, Facebook, etc...

But our greatest joy:

1 Peter 1:8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:

HankD

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Col 3:1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
    Col 3:2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

The context of Colossians 3:5 is foundin vs. 1 & 2. This passage is largely about having our affections set on godly things and not worldly things.

What is interesting is the list found in v. 5. Paul does not just list anything but specific types of sins. These sins are all grevious and far different than innocent things like TV, sports or bowling.

It is the nature of those sins that make them an idol not that anything and everything can distract us from God. Those things bring upon us the wrath of God.

Paul goes on to name some other sins that he does not list as bringing on the wrath of God but that we should abstain from them because we have put on the New man which is "in Christ".

Given this it is clear that it is improper to apply v.5 to any innocent thing.

5. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Idols are anything that either (1) become the object that acts of worship are directed toward; (2) replace God as preeminent in your life.

As long as things do not replace God as the object of worship or replace God as preeminent in your life, you are fine.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep - I agree. There are things we can do, things we can enjoy, things that become a favorite past-time but when they do one of the two above, they have passed over from fun to idol.

I love to ride horses and I will ride whenever I have the chance. I love to be at the barn and have been able to use my ability to work with horses as a ministry. But the times I start using horses to replace my time with God or make them a priority over ministry towards others or my family, it has become a problem.

7. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

:thumbsup::thumbsup: