1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IE6 vs IE7 in a corporate environment

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by mcdirector, Jul 14, 2007.

1. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I'm just curious if any of you know why a business would chose to stick with IE6 vs upgrading to IE7.

Both are buggy. IMHO, 6 is buggier.

I'm not getting the answers I'm looking for in a google, so I was wondering if any of you guys had any suggestions. -- you so often have the answers I'm looking for.

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Well, IE7 has apparently introduced some compatibility issues so since the only point of using MS Malware in the first place is compatibility, what is the point?
    I personally have not used IE7 enough to really say what the compatibility problems are.
    I hate the interface and after using it slightly, I now only use it long enough to download Firefox.

I don't know why everyone just doesn't change to FF, or Opera or ANY decent browser other than MS bloatware.

BUt anyway, virtually everything works with IE6, not so with 7 is what I have heard.
    The funny thing is, not that I think about it, the only web application I can think of that i used with both browsers is the Zimbra mail client and that worked great with IE7 but was really, painfully slow in IE6.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Oh, Bitsy, did you ever get the idea that I really don't like MS products and I might be a little biased/prejudiced in the matter?
    Just wanted to make sure you knew ;-)

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd guess a lot of corporate just do what is new rather than any decision based on intelligent reasoning :laugh:

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

;)

Well, as a web designer. 7 is much easier to design for IMHO than 6. I have to do quite some creative things to make things work in 6 and in 7, a page frequently will look very much like I've thought it would and in 6, HA . . .

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

That is funny because as I was writing my post, I was just telling what I had heard but then I thought back to my own experience and remembered that 7 actually worked better for the sites that were a problem for me.
    I just hate ALL IE interfaces and even though 7 has tabs and a search bar, it is much more cluttered that FF or Safari.

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Well, even the standards based browsers like FF have some issues.

BUT IE
    -- well, I could be bald if if weren't such a patient angel type :laugh:

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

It depends on the business, Bitsy. I don't think there's any one size fits all answer to your question.

You'd be wrong in that assessment.

I've worked for 2 very large companies, both of which most of you have at least heard of, and probably done business with one of them. Neither one of these companies implements anything new in their environment just for the sake of putting in something new.

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Well you guys are as difficult to get an answer out of as google in this case :laugh:

I do appreciate your responses though.

I'll just have to keep booting up multiple laptops using multiple versions of IE, praying that MS doesn't come up with yet another version . . .

I have seen some software that allows you to run multiple versions of IE on one computer, but I'm afraid to try it. It's a hack job and doesn't look all that safe to me -- although it would save me tons of grief if it actually worked.

NOW the reason I asked the question to begin with was, I had IE6 on one computer in a Windows update, IE6 got upgraded to 7 without me noticing and I had a rollover menu that didn't work for almost a week because I thought I'd checked it and in actuality, I was checking it in the same browser -- just on different computers. I was so embarrassed . . .

But that did prompt the question.

10. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote:
    I'd guess a lot of corporate just do what is new rather than any decision based on intelligent reasoning

You'd be wrong in that assessment.

I've worked for 2 very large companies, both of which most of you have at least heard of, and probably done business with one of them. Neither one of these companies implements anything new in their environment just for the sake of putting in something new.

---------
    Guess my guess was correctly labeled a guess since it has been declared wrong. :laugh:

To the op I worked for a large company for many years and they carefully considered upgrading to new programs. It cost big bucks when they made their changes. They did a lot of their company wide computer stuff in programs including explorer and I'm sure they did serious testing to be sure everything worked. That would take time and money to do. If either is in short supply a delay might well come along.

They also pushed all updates up to the desktops from each locations server from a main server so they had to be quite sure any upgrades would be accepted by a wide variety of machines. A new version of IE might not be a priority if they are busy with other things. It might not be in their budget to invest the time either.

If a company does not use the browser for their corporate documents but only as a browser then I'd guess they might go with whatever comes along if it looks like an improvement.

If your interest in the topic is big, email some corporations and ask them - I'd guess you might get some answers.