1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IE7 Problem

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by TC, Jun 18, 2007.

1. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have both Firefox and IE7 on this computer that runs Win XP with SP2. The last couple of days, IE7 will not display any Webpages. I can only get DNS errors, but Firefox works just fine using the same Internet connection. Any suggestions? I feel like :BangHead:

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try dumping the Cache. Had an older version that would work great then after a lot of surfing start doing that.

If all else fails uninstall/reinstall - isn't that the standard MS answer - kind of like take two aspirin and don't call me in the morning :laugh:

Also you might try options and snoop around the connections area. I've had MS resetting my options of late. I think their autoupdates try to make me run my computer the way they want rather than how I want. Couple updates ago all of my MS icons have turned to the generic white with the little window inside icon. They still remain that way - MS is alive and well :thumbs:

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Why not just us Firefox with IE tab extension when needed?

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And miss all the mystery of MS, you are no fun! :laugh:

5. His Blood Spoke My Name

The best answer is to empty cache as stated above. After emptying cache, shut down the PC and restart it.

FTR, I turned my automatic updates off when they started messing with my internet.

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I had a similar problem with a customer using an older version of IE with Win2000.
    After going through the whole clear the cache thing about 3 times, I just walked her through over the phone how to install FireFox, she has never called back about the problem again :)

7. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Make sure you don't have any proxy server settings enabled. Go to internet options, connections tab, lan settings button. Uncheck 'use automatic configuration script' and 'use proxy server for your lan'.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Yuppers - never had a problem with Firefox at all

9. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got it working again. Somehow, the firewall rules got changed and blocked all IE7 Internet access.

10. mnw

mnw New Member

Dale-C and C4K will probably relish this post, and rightly so... but I am abandoning IE7. I like it, I really do, but for the past week it has not allowed me to use anything to do with Flash, I re-install flash, the flash demo works, I go to the site that's uising Flash, IE7 tells me to re-install Flash etc. I try FireFox... and it works.

Now apps in Facebook won't work with IE7 but they will with FireFox...

I uninstalled IE7 and saw no option to save settings, yet when I re-installed IE7 it was like it had never gone...

So, until further notice, and it will be with regret and most likely with some withdrawal symptoms, I will be using FireFox as my primary browser.

:) After all these months of defending IE7, in the end, IE7 has let me down...

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Brother! Ya gotta keep it though cause there will come a day when Firefox won't work on something and you'll have to pull it up again. *sigh*

The PC world of browsers is a painful one! ;)

12. mnw

mnw New Member

I'll keep it, lurking in the background... :)

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

You aren't worried about the International FF Conspiracy to get everyone switched over then ...........WHAM!

14. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

IN my experience though, IE 6 is the better browser to keep around than IE 7 for compatibility.

Hopefully safari and Firefox will continue to grow so that there is no single browser with more than 50% so that developers will have to be standards based.