1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If – Si – Ean – Indien – So - Ha

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Bob Krajcik, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

If – Si – Ean – Indien – So - Ha

If ye continue. . .
    If we hold fast. . .
    If any man will come after me. . .
    If any man have ears to hear. . .
    If need be. . .

The word, IF, in any language, is able to convey assurance to the child of God. The believer discovers a godly boldness and confidence, assurance, as they continue in the things of God.

1 Peter 1:5 (KJV) Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Ref: 1Pet 1:3-9; 2Pet 3:11-18

So often the phrase that starts with an IF is portrayed as negative, fostering doubt. That need not be, for the word if, in any language, is able to convey assurance to the child of God.

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, "if" conveys CHOICE.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, not always. Sometimes, "if" can assume the reality of the following clause.

e.g.--If we are humans, we should be humane.

(indicative mood verb)

Sometimes, the clause is not assumed and can in fact be contrary to reality.

e.g.-- If I were you, I'd go to town.

(subjunctive mood verb)

Greek, although not exactly the same, is similar.

4. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Sorry, just curious about the title of the post!

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's Bob K who started it. We're ALL curious how HIS mind works! [​IMG]

Most often in Scripture "if" is a third class conditional that means, in essence, "since".

So it's not "if" we are in Christ, but "since" we are . . .

6. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Conditional clauses are variously classified by the various Greek scholars and variously interpreted by them with accord to their various theologies. Among Baptist circles, their interpretation is often distorted to help explain away the passages in the Bible that teach that salvation is conditional. When the formal equivalence translations of the Bible read “if” rather than “since” they read “if” rather than “since” because the thought expressed in the Greek text is closer to “if” than it is to “since,” very much to the dismay of the advocates of the 16th century doctrine of eternal security.

Moral of the story: When using Greek grammars, be aware of the theological prejudices of the authors and take them into very care consideration when evaluating what they have to say. For example, how do we interpret the “if clause” in the following passage,

Col. 1:21. And although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds,
    22. yet He has now reconciled you in His fleshly body through death, in order to present you before Him holy and blameless and beyond reproach--
    23. if indeed you continue in the faith firmly established and steadfast, and not moved away from the hope of the gospel that you have heard, which was proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, was made a minister. (NASB, 1995)

Personally, I believe that if one is to possibly error, it is best to error on the side of caution.

[​IMG]

7. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

Excellent! Thanks for the clear and concise statement.

8. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

"Among Baptist circles, their interpretation is often distorted to help explain away the passages in the Bible that teach that salvation is conditional"

Yes, very often this is true.

Not all see this the same way, but most agree, there are those that try to explain away conditional passages. It's just that not all agree on how conditional passages are to be understood.

Some are not His people, but those that are shall certainly be saved.

Some suppose men must do the right things, making that the condition of salvation. Others see it another way.

Matthew 1:21 (KJV) And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

John 6:37 (KJV) All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

John 6:39 (KJV) And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

John 17:2 (KJV) As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

9. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

"We're ALL curious how HIS mind works!"

I've finished cooking supper and eating, the dirty dishes can wait, so here's what I have to say about that.

Proverbs 17:28

;)

10. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

How dumb IS she? Well, I just spent about an hour thinking and thinking, trying to figure out what the word If – Si – Ean – Indien – So - Ha means! I figured you guys were talking Greek again. [​IMG] :rolleyes: Dum dee dumm dumb!

12. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stefan M: Well, not always. Sometimes, "if" can assume the reality of the following clause.

I agree...but Bob K's quotes seem to indicate choices, I.E. "IF you continue, IF you hold fast", etc.

Kinda like, "IF I work overtime, I'll make more money; IF I DON'T work OT, I'll have more free time."