1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If a female were to make a ML Baseball team???

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Salty, Jul 20, 2022.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm against the idea. I am old and tend to be old fashioned.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ken, actually you and I are experienced
    and some day Dr Bob and Squire will catch up with us.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In theory, professional sports would be a pure meritocracy, and in some cases it's close.
    The advent of trans "women" makes this question a lot harder for me, as I'd be fine with a from-birth woman earning one of the 26 spots on a team's MLB roster. Trans, absolutely not. (But that's not a PC opinion. :()

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was just thinking that a team might do so - as a publicity stunt!

Remember this one:
    Eddie Gaedel - Wikipedia

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The best players should play. They should not be required to be white, or big, or bright. If the player defends better, runs better, throws better and hits better than any alternative, he or she should play.

When I was a young lad, a girl often played in our baseball (softball) pick-up games. She could hit better than most of us, and throw better than almost all of us. And she was fast. Yes, she was an exception to the general rule that boys are more athletic, but she was one of best athletes around.

Her name? Why "Billy Jean" and she had some success in Tennis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Create a women's league. I don't want to see women in baseball just like I don't want to see them in football or the NBA.

• Like Like x 1
  8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. OnlyaSinner

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Might be the only player in MLB history with a 1.000 on-base percentage. :Biggrin

• Like Like x 1
  10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many posts on this thread arm anti-Christian atheists with ammo, showing gender bias, and denying there is no difference between male and female in Christ.

I would have loved to see all these blowhards compete with Billy Jean in her prime. LOL

11. OnlyaSinner

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She easily beat that older misogynist Bobby Riggs but would not have fared as well against the top male players of her time. While the best women athletes are better than the average male athlete, MLB is only for the elites. Perhaps there are women who can throw crisp-breaking sliders and sinkers at 80-85 mph - Koji Uehara in his prime got lots of batters out with that stuff. Or maybe handling a bat like Ichiro, who could flick hits all over the diamond. However, women with that level of athletic prowess are probably going to be on the soccer pitch, tennis or basketball court or golf course. (And I still think that Ted Williams was right in stating that hitting safely against MLB pitching was the toughest act in sports, the only one where you could fail 7 out of 10 times and be a star.)

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one is suggesting the existence of a competitive female for MLB, but if one existed, the best player, no matter the gender should be allowed to compete. I my lifetime, Blacks were not allowed to compete, and that was wrong too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uehara, Ichiro, and Ted Williams. Awesome!

I followed Ichiro's career in both Japan and America, and have many of his baseball cards in both languages. If a woman could actually do any of his accomplishments, she would be an awesome athlete--and probably what folks call "transgender" nowadays, and thus not a real woman. :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    So men should also be allowed to compete in women's sports? You are ok with Lia Thomas?

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again a Falselogy advocate is allowed to put words in my mouth. They are untethered from truth.
    This poster is ok with claiming by implication every sort of mendacity.
    Women's sports are for women. Does MLB claim it is for men only? Nope.

16. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Professional Baseball is a meritocracy … man / woman / genetic hermaphrodite makes no difference. The criteria is the ability to perform a handful of very specific tasks.

The issue becomes, as was already pointed out, that a woman with some of the required skills would likely already be involved on another Women’s Professional Sport and never get the opportunity to develop that skill in Baseball at the College or Minor League level to open the path to MLB.

So a Female MLB player is possible but unlikely.

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it ever a meritocracy! Just look at the levels: Peewee league, Little League, Jr. High, HS, college, rookie league, single A, double A, triple A, and then finally the MLB. I'm not even counting the independent or foreign leagues. (Even Japan is only about Triple A level.) The NFL and the NBA do not have these levels. So the point is that the levels weed out anyone not MLB material, and the MLB itself is the best of the best of the...keep counting. It would take a genuine miracle, meaning an act of God Himself for a woman to get past all of those levels to the MLB.

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The NBA does have the D league. The ABA league, is not offically connected with the NBA, but I'm sure the scouts keep an eye on it.

19. OnlyaSinner

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Considering just as the professional-level baseball, one can see why many top athletes look elsewhere for stardom. College grads (plus some declaring before graduation and the occasional HS student) are expected to make the NBA team drafting them, same for the higher picks in the NFL. Only the very best (if any) in baseball go directly from draft to the Majors, and most need 2-3 years riding buses in MiLB before sticking with the parent team. Even precocious ballplayers like Bryce harper and Mike Trout had 2 years in the minors before any MLB games. Only injuries can keep NBA draftees and higher NFL ones from being on the big field in their first season.

#19 OnlyaSinner, Jul 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not the same thing...