1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If a member of your church needed a Kidney?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ben W, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is quite a powerfull testimony!

- Jesus said there’s no greater love than laying down one’s life for a friend. But donating a kidney might be the next best thing.

After a kidney transplant last month, the donor and the recipient — both members of Lichty Mennonite Church in New Holland, Pa. — give God the glory and say they were blessed.

Dave Nolt of East Earl knew his kidneys were failing over the last 20 years. By now, at age 51, the kidneys were working at 10 percent of normal, putting him on the brink of needing dialysis. Five years ago his doctor recommended a kidney transplant.

“I didn’t think I could beg someone for a kidney,” he said. “I thought, I just can’t do that.”

Yet Nolt wanted to be open to what God might want for his life.

“The verses that were dear to me at this time were from Psalm 139,” he said. “I wanted God to search my life and for me to learn whatever he wanted me to learn through this situation.”

A year or so ago he approached the church’s leaders and asked to be anointed for healing. And he agreed to let the word go out that he needed a kidney donor.

Not one, not two, but a half dozen members stepped forward.

“It was a real testimony,” Nolt said. “The doctor asked me when I came in, ‘Where do you go to church?’ ”

Possible donors are tested for a tissue match one at a time. The first candidate, Aaron Horst, made it almost all the way through the process, but results on one of the final tests took him off the eligibility list.Jason Groff, 40, was the second potential donor.

“If the blood type is a match, there’s a 50-50 chance of a tissue match,” he said. “It was one of those situations in life where you think, oh, it might be me, but there’s just as good a chance it might not.”

Groff was ready to go through with the donation from day one.

Continued

http://www.mennoweekly.org/DEC/12-05-05/TRANSPLANT12-05.html

2. David Singleton

David Singleton New Member

Having undergone a transplant myself I can say it is a blessing to have a new lease on life. When my doctors gave me months to live and said I needed an immediate transplant, I didnt know who to talk to or what to say, my superiors in ministry suggested I wait but that didnt seem right. I prayed and and asked God what I should do, I ended my prayer with "If it be your will I have this transplant, let me know, and if you want me to wait let me know" 10 days later an organ became available. The organ was for another patient in another city, but the Lord took him hours before his surgery was scheduled, of the thousands of people on waiting list, I was the only person the organ matched. Does He answer prayer, I think so. Some got angry that I didnt wait and thats fine, but when I prayed, He answered and who am I to reject an answer to prayer. I was blessed. True, over the last 5 years my health has continued to fail with heart and Kidney problems, and diabeties. But that transplant turned a few months to live into 5 years and Im still here. True the quality of my life is declining, but still I am blessed to have had 5 more years with my children and my wife. The gift of an organ is one of the greatest ways you can give of yourself to another person, it is a sacrificial gift. May God bless each of you who are donors.

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

One of my best buddies is from Arkansas and has an identical twin. Back years ago---his twin was hurt in a football game and they took him to the hospital for X-Rays----it was discovered that my buddy's twin--has THREE kidneys----well--the doctor got curious and X-Rayed my best buddy---and discovered that sure enough---he only has ONE kidney.

He told his identical---"If something happens to my kidney----I'm coming to get my other kidney!!!

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Imagine what the power of God has done in these peoples lives to be that giving of themselves one to another?

If you were in that situation, how many would step forward to help in your church?

5. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Let me take this a step farther. What if someone here on the BB needed a kidney and you were a match?