1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If Abortion is THE Issue for Deciding How You Vote...

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It never goes to the back burner and you cannot provide any evidence to support that. The issue of abortion is always being worked on whether it is being discussed publically or not.

2. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

The right to life issue doesn't go to the back burner for those of us who care.... but it DOES go to the back burner for most of those who have paid 'lip service' to us to win our vote... Isn't the 'back burner' a priority thing? I've yet to see any other than one or two people running, place it 'first' even in their campaign.... much less action once in office.

(But I also find it hypocritical for someone to stand 'pro-life', or anti-embryonic stem cell research, and promote a war based upon lies: defend torture whatever the reason: persue 'thought crimes' instead of the people's individual right to desent: to promote or sign legislation that takes away the right to bear arms from our returning vets, based upon some analogus equating of a PTSD, or consult to stop smoking, or for simply having been in a 'killing zone' in war where he had no choice but to kill or be killed: or allow American soldiers to fight on foreign soil 'for the interest of democracy' when we have a 'republic' and the Christians among our soldiers are not allowed to keep their Bibles or worship freely.)

When President Bush went in, I thought he was a real credit to Christianity, and a credit to the credibility to the office of the POTUS. I still hold some regard for him but believe he has done much to discredit Christianity, and increasing the negative focus on believers in Jesus Christ; in confusing 'fundamentalism' with extremism.....which is not always the case; in confusing the belief in Jehovah-God with the belief in allah...... But then the warfare which that office faces, regardless of who is in the seat... is under spiritual pressures and warfare.... and without doubt, deception abounds all around in the self-serving interest of governments agencies and advisers upon which his office depends.

I do consider one's stand on abortion as being a litmus test for Christians.... however, I conceed that under the deception of this age it is likely that there are many serious 'Christians' who are deceived into accepting it as a choice. But then I believe there are absolutes and the Ten Commandments are not the ten suggestions..... no matter WHO chooses to break them.

I voted yesterday for Ron Paul.
    I am not persuaded by the propaganda machine that says 'he is not electable'.
    If he is on the ballot then I can vote for him.
    If enough people vote for him, he is electable.
    When the major media censors him by avoiding coverage, it is telling me more about WHO special interest wants us to know and vote for than their interest in covering the news. At least the news is talking less of Paris Hilton, Clinton's cleavage, and NYC love of Guilliani!....... some 'relevant' interest (tongue in cheek).:sleeping_2:

#22 windcatcher, Jan 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2008
  3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Many good post to this thread. But let us Christians always remember that murder, I'm sorry, abortion is always forbidden in God's Holy Word. Thus this "issue" is a non-issue for Christians.

Anyone having anything to do with pro-murder, I'm sorry, pretty word code "pro-choice" representatives is committing sin against God's word and it is not a Christian thing to do. They need to repent and stand for righteousness.

God Bless! :jesus:

4. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

You're kidding, right?
    The evidence lies in the simple fact that absolutely nothing has been done to overturn the decision handed down in Roe v. Wade. After the midterm elections last year, the topic of abortion literally went on the back burner. I heard several people tell me that once Roberts and Alito were on the Court, it would happen. Yet nothing happened. As a matter of fact, it was mentioned very little last year, other than the early campaigners for the POTUS election this year. Of course, now that it is 2008, the subject of abortion has once again been brought to the forefront.

Regards,
    BiR

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure if you are sincere and ignorant or just projecting what you wish to be true. Court cases cannot just be brought up willy nilly to the Supreme Court. There has to be standing and injury that propells a case to that level. These issues take time. Add to that the opposition who is making strategic steps to short circuit any move in that direction. Your personal time frame on this issue is not evidence of anything going to the back burner.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Other than among conservative evangelical Christians on boards such as this one where has abortoin been brought to the forefront?

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Abortion should not be the only issue that influences ones decision to vote.

8. Chessic

Chessic New Member

The "brought to the forefront" idea relies on the media too much. While abortion is being discussed here and similar places, the media in large part determines our perception of how much the issue is being discussed in public. We simply cannot know how much work and discussion on this issue is going on behind the scenes in the halls of power.

While President Bush hasn't been the pit bull on this issue some of us hoped he would be, he has appointed pro-life judges and asked congress for bills he could sign to reduce/remove funding for Planned Parenthood, etc. Yes, he could have and should have done more, especially in mentioning this issue in his major speeches, where the media has less opportunity to cut up his words into sound bites of their choosing. But I think it was clear what was coming from the president when it was revealed (not until after the first election, of course) what his wife's position on the issue is.

Meanwhile, we await the slow process of a critical case reaching the Supreme Court. Supposedly, a test of partial-birth abortion laws will reach the court later this year. That will be an opportunity for change that would not be present with different court judges appointed by, say, a Democrat president. We don't know what the court will do, but my impression is that they are still too afraid of public reaction to overturn Roe v. Wade. Perhaps they can do something to overturn or limit partial-birth abortion laws, though.

Meanwhile, at least 1 more strong conservative on the court might enable a real strike at Roe v. Wade. And this will only happen with a conservative president next time there is an opening. Neither Ms. Clinton nor Mr. Obama will give us that. Lets hope we don't get another Sandra Day O'Connor from a conservative president. She taught both conservative and liberal presidents to be certain of whom they appoint.

9. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not my only issue, but it is my first.

10. Baptist in Richmond

The Supreme Court chooses the cases to be brought before them.

You are in denial. The undisputable fact is that nothing has been done in all the years that abortion has been used as a rallying cry to shore up the pro-life vote. You cannot dispute that nothing has been done. Take last year, for example: the subject rarely came up anywhere in Washington, just like it didn't in 2005, or 2003, or 2001. My "personal time frame" was never offered as anything - I am not even sure what my "personal time frame" is for that matter. But nothing has been done thus far. Once again, it's an election year, and everyone is talking about abortion. That will end again in 2009. Don't worry: you'll see it once again.

Regards,
    BiR

11. Baptist in Richmond

Romney has flip flopped on his stance on abortion, and Huckabee is talking about it.

Regards,
    BiR

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And they will soon be off the national political stage.

So much for the current political currency of this issue.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I can deny it with all credibility.

http://members.aol.com/abtrbng/stablw.htm

The issue is always being worked on at both state and federal levels. In small ways and in large.

14. Baptist in Richmond

Nothing here indicates any progress with respect to ending abortion, or taking any steps to overturn the decision in Roe v. Wade. In most cases, these facts simply frame what is allowable with respect to abortion in each state.

I guess you will see in 2009. We'll just have to revisit this in June of next year, and see the progress made...

15. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Or we'll see if there is a regression. For instance, if the Democrats win the Presidency, the first thing they will do is reverse a few orders that will allow federal funding of abortions. Bill Clinton did this in his first few days in office, George W. reversed those orders in his first few days, and you can bet that a Democrat would reverse it back again. The truth is, Democrats love abortion. And that is evil.

And as soon as the next S.C. justice retires, the issue of abortion will be brought to the forefront. With a Democratic President, you can be assured that they will nominate a pro-abortion justice (because they love abortion). With a Republican, it is a mixed bag (GOP justices have included both pro-life and pro-abortion), but you at least have a decent chance of getting a pro-life justice.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Now you are changing your own standard. What I responded to was "nothing has been done". Everytimme a restriction is imposed progress is made and something has been done. The abortion issue is always being worked on at somelevel somewhere. That is undeniable.

17. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Mine likewise.

This Nation has the blood of 49 million on it's hands. That's 49,000,000 innocent lives.

Here is something to ponder.

Hitler's Germany- 6 to 9 million, depending upon who you talk to.

Stalin's Russia- 10 to 12 million

Mao's China- 20 to 30 million

God judges nations by how they treat the innocent. Even though many that had lived in these nations did not issue or carry out the orders to execute, starve or slaughter innocent lives they were nonetheless caught up in the judgments. Judgment is coming to this generation of Americans because we have let our tax money be used for the insane slaughter of 49 million.

We had better be getting on our knees. I don't know about you but my knees are knocking. I am very afraid for my nation.

May God forgive us.:praying:

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Best post of the thread. It is not only the politicians that are for abortion (ie, Giuliani, Romney, and the Democrats), its the Republicans who use the issue as a vote getting weapon, who really do not care about one innocent life at heart, but one vote.

God can see right through the rotten to the core heart of the self indulgent pigs in both parties.

As one poster said, if they who claim to protect innocent life had the idea planted in their hearts, it would be a never ending quest, not a talking point for Jan-Nov 2008.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We Christians have no reason to personally fear our Heavenly Father in such a way.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 10:30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.