1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If Darwin had never been born,what would we think about mans' beginnings?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Plain Old Bill, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

If Darwin had'nt come up with "his " theory would someone else have done it?What explanation would we be using without "darwins theory"?

2. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Remember, Darwin was thinking about his theory and gathering data and holding back from publishing it until Wallace sent him a manuscript with the same theory expressed in it. Scientific ideas are like that - when it is their time, they come, and if one hadn't set it forth, another would have. Hmmm. The Wallace theory of evolution. Wallacian evolution. Wallace recanted on his deathbed. Wallace was a hypochondriac melencholic anyway. Atheistic Wallacian evolution is embodiment of all that is wrong with the world.

I dunno - somehow doesn't sound right. Darwin has a better ring to the ear, somehow.

3. LovesJesus

LovesJesus New Member

Maybe someone would have come up with that Conehead skit and people would think we came from another planet.

or France.

4. mioque

mioque New Member

-would someone else have done it?
    That would have been Alfred Russell Wallace (mentioned previously by Paul). The onset of Evolutionism probably would have been delayed by a year at most.

-What explanation would we be using without "darwins theory"?
    Some form of catastrophe theory.
    As in each couple of million years a huge disaster strikes the earth killing most things of. Afterwards new species appear for no apparent reason.

As an aside, while the theory of macro-evolution hasn't that many practical applications, micro-evolution has revolutionized biology. In a world without any evolution theory biology would be less advanced than it is in our world.

5. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Wasn't Darwin actually trying to prove God rather than disprove Him?

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Understanding microbial evolution and how germs develop immunity to antibiotics is an important part of modern medicine.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

What we commonly refer to as darwinian evolution is by no means a unique idea, nor was it new in his day. In fact, even the ancient Greeks had surmised that life forms changed over time, and shared common ancestors. Greeks, however, did not have the understanding of genes and genetic traits that we do today.

8. Bob

Bob New Member

If I had never heard of Darwin, I would still have the same opinion of our 'beginnings': "In the beginning, GOD...!"

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Welcome to BB Bob. I agree with your post.
    I see by your profile that you are United Methodist. This is a Baptist Only forum. We request that you post only in those forums that designated for non-Baptists. Thank-you for your understanding.
    DHK