1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured If Divorce is a Sin...Can and Will God Forgive this Sin?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Sep 16, 2013.

?
  1. Yes...[explain]

11 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. No...[explain]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. In depends on the reason [please explain]...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No opinion....

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. The sin is forgiven, but not the remarriage after divorce...[explain]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. If divorce is forgiven, so is remarriage....[explain]

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Pastors can't be remarried....[explain]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Deacons can't be remarried....[explain]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. God can forgive divorce, and remarriage! [explain]

11 vote(s)
    68.8%
  10. God will forgive the divorce, but not remarriage! [explain]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No the Lord Jesus does not disagree with God as He is the One who gave the law. Show scripture of your statement.

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

You've been shown Scripture and you choose to ignore it. Why waste our time when you refuse to believe God?

3. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No such scripture has been given.

4. thisnumbersdisconnected

That's an outright, bold-faced lie. Done with you. May God have mercy on you.

5. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No there has not been any scripture given that shows God supports divorce, but I do Thank you as I am sure your prayers are a great blessing.

6. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Isn't it a fortunate thing that God has not granted us the ability to look inside the "heart" of others. We all know we would see the very same things found in the corners and recesses of our own heart. Yet we often SEEM to take great pleasure in pointing out those places in others. How many times will God forgive us? How many times are we to forgive others? Are we truly required to place conditions on our forgiveness of others?

7. Ed B

Ed B Member

Divorce and remarriage are not unforgivable sins. But I worry about a believer who gives up on marriage in tough times not because of biblical grounds such as adultry by the spouse but because culture has made it easy and is very accepting of it. All deliberate sin is dangerous and speaks to a deeper spiritual issue. And with those words I know I condemn myself, not because of divorce but because of the sins I struggle with.

As I consider this issue, for me the question concerning remarriage after a divorce when it is not covered by scripture is this: Is the person who remarries entering into perpetual, willful sin or is it counted as a one-time sin? Is it a willful, deliberate sin and if so how does that change things? The question is painful to think about for me because I have good friends who were divorced and remarried and adultery is not always the cause. Many are now very devout and fervent in their faith.

#27 Ed B, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2013
  8. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Ed. I appreciate too your openness. Is not all sin open and willful? Sin in the sense of disobedience, rather than simply "missing the mark".

9. Ed B

Ed B Member

I don't know if all sin is open and willful. The scripture speaks of unknown sins in Deuteronomy and Hebrews. However, I agree that most sins are willful even if in secret. Specifically I think of when I choose to partake of or participate in activities that are common, acceptable and easy in culture and often tolerated or ignored by much of American Christianity, but that do not align with what I believe to be appropriate or for a son of the God of all creation. That may not be as overt but it can be willful sin. It is often very subtle but there is a warning. Entertainment is an area where this is extremely common, but it isn't exclusive to that. Willful compromise with what culture sees as good but knowing it doesn't honor God and perhaps could bring dishonor to our Savior might be a way of saying it.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you disagreeing with Jesus that He can and did forgive the woman, even though she did indeed deserve to be stoned?

That by doing that act, He was making a claim to be superior to Moses and the Law, to be the God who gave it to us?

And God hates divorce, was not His intended Plan, but that due to Sin, he allows for divorce under certain circumstances?

Jesus Himself said that one can divorce for unfaifulness/adultery, was He a liar there?