1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If easy believism aint the way, what is????

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Dr.Tim, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Time for all the talk to stop.. tell me..

how do you witness to someone.. your personal method???
    Got a letter from a reformed person a few years ago who was so disgusted with people saying "three were saved at revival" and so forth and when i asked him how HE witnesses to people, the method he explained was more like works for salvation.

so..tell me.. how is it done??????

2. APuritanMindset

APuritanMindset New Member

I tell them...

All of us are totally depraved and dead in sin. There is nothing we can do to save ourselves because dead men can't do anything. Despite our inherent sinfulness, though, God chose for Himself a people to be His. He did this with Israel and He does the same with us today. God sent Jesus to die on the cross to redeem those who would believe in Him.

I show some Scripture mixed in that little thing there and I show them what Paul says in Romans 10 about how if you confess with you mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

In person, I go a lot further and deeper than that. But that is the skeleton of what I use.

A lot of Reformed people do borderline on works salvation without even realizing it. Sometimes, also, it is just in the words that they use. I am Reformed myself, and at times, I am guilty of that as well. I think, though, that the non-Reformed people are worse. They have the whole "Here is what you have to do to be saved" thing and stuff and they force people to say the sinner's prayer. I don't think that is good methodology either.

3. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

I do what you do .. almost exactly the same.. but I would bet that some are thinking.. ahh..
    APuritanMindset is into easy believism. I betcha.

tim

4. APuritanMindset

APuritanMindset New Member

They'll get over it.

One thing I AM against, though, is the need by many people who are out "evangelizing" to stir up people's emotions just to get them to say a prayer. I don't play the emotion card with the people I share the gospel with. I don't think it's important.

5. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

"stirred, but not changed" is an expression many have told me about people who said the prayer but never came to church once.
    I think , by now, I can sense the Spirit's conviction and if it's not there, i know anything that happens would be from my own abilities.. NO GOOD.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

We must talk to God about men before we talk to men about God.

Witnessing is not about methodology. It is about sharing our faith in Christ. It is about loving people and trusting God, not a process of screwing up enough courage to blast someone.

At a sporting event the spectators of the winning team rejoice. They do not go around uneasy and like someone has died. They are so excited that they would like others participate. We should be the same way in telling others the good news.

7. DeaconLew

DeaconLew New Member

This may be lengthy. Please be advised.

Br Tim,
    Without some idea that one is a sinner, damned and on their way to an eternal, conscience torment, they will have no motivation to be "saved." Saved, from what? Well really just one thing, "the wrath to come."
    John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

I often hear those that are more liberal than biblical say something along the lines of "fear has torment, you shouldn't use fear as a motivation." This is not consistent with the scripture. Please consider the following:
    Hebrews 2:15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
    Notice it says "through fear of death." The fear in this verse motivated those that believed to come to Jesus.

As for a method, I will tell you how we do it. This is not to say this is the best way. However the type is seen in scripture.

Christ has likened soul-winning (Proverbs 11:30) to sowing and reaping. If you have ever grown a garden you are aware that seed (most prescious indeed Psalm 126) cannot be cast onto the "unplowed" ground. At some point the ground must be prepared to receive seed. This is seen in the following verses(s):
    Psalm 34:18 The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
    Those who have not had their spirit and hearts broken cannot be in a state to receive prescious seed. Man by nature is hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
    Hebrews 3:13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
    As a result, our hearts must be broken.

The scripture show that the law's purpose was to us to Christ.
    Galatians 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
    Well let's be honest, the law is condemning. It is burdensome to bear, insomuch that we cannot bear it. We must bring the law into focus when we go out. We must tell, remind, inform people that fornication is a sin! Adultry is a sin! Homosexuality is a sin! These things (and others) God will not tolerate! The wages of sin is death! Eternal, relentless, painful, wrathful, indignant death! Press upon them the fact that God is angry with the wicked, not just their sin!
    Psalm 7:11 God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.
    Once their heart is broken, once they realize their depravity, once they realize their fate, their heart (ground) being broken, then and only then can you begin to administer (cast) seed. In this anology the seed is the truth that Christ paid it all. Our sins were paid for on the cross. God has poured his wrath on Christ, by his stripes we are healed. Praise God!

If they accept it through faith (John 3:16) then they are saved. Not of works (Romans 10:9, 10) lest any man should boast.

What say ye?
    -Deacon Lew

8. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

yeah thats basically the same as I believe. The brother who first responded would concur, a man cant be saved until he first knows he is lost.

I will give it another day ..see who posts.. but i can tell you. as of now, all those who ranted and raved about easy believism and Lordhsip ,..etc... where are they now.?

Why so quiet?

See.. my thesis here is that no matter what you believe, until its put into practice, you cant possibly be dogmatic about it.
    As I said elsehwere..one man who emailed me, definitely Hyper-Calvinist (no offense.. but a believer in the whole flower TULIP) wanted to argue with me..and he made many GOOD points but when I asked about winning souls, he went flat,,, no answer.

Those of you who so boldly posted before about the REAL gospel, where art thou?

9. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

P.S./... those that were strong Calvinist in the school I went to had no problem discussing this.. I am just trying to find out the different methods that people use and how it relates to their theology. I QUIT soul-winning when I was young because I began to believe something different, a few weeks later was shown otherwise and returned to what I thought before.

10. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

first of all, i don't whitness as often as i should. IMO there two different ways to witness, one-on-one or infront of a group. the approach (for me) is different.

one-on-one, i do many things that have already been mentioned in this tread, try to makethem see they are a sinner in need of a saviour...but i like to emphasize the blood (because without the sheading of blood...).

in front of a group (i used to do this alot), i usually lead in with a bible story or story that the audience can relate to. i spoke at my father-in-laws funeral a couple weeks ago. this is a summary of what i said:
    two characteristics of my father-in-law that reminded me of God:
    - there was a unique way to approach him, and that there is a unique way to approach God. in the OT:the high priest once a year, not without blood and now, though Jesus, our high priest, with His blood.
    - i viewed my father-in-law as my judge (especially before i was married, if you know what i mean...). God will someday be our judge. the type of judge he will be depends on our approach to Him (through Jesus or any other way...).

i do not like 'invitations', 'altercalls' what ever you call them.

11. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

One of the booming contemporary churches in Baton Rouge is pastored by a Jewish man and he has no altar calls either. There are some who cant understand why..some question him on that.
    I guess I am still waiting for someone to chime in and tell us we are wrong.
    I definitely think easy believism is a head knowledge-sinners prayer thing and not including repentance.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus said, "Follow Me..." It really is that simple. Jesus laid out the cost of following Him in Luke 14:26-28, "If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple. "Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple. "For which one of you, when he wants to build a tower, does not first sit down and calculate the cost to see if he has enough to complete it."

13. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

there are two kinds of people in this world, Lost sinners and saved sinners.yes I said saved sinners Just because a person gets saved does not remove the flesh from their body and as long as we are in this bone bag we all have a sin nature.
    there will be those will believe that Jesus Is the only way to the father and there will be those who will not believe no matter what you do to try to convince them.

prayer is the Key to witness to a lost with the love of Jesus Christ not to condemn them because the world is already condemned, to show encouragement be very patient and to be their friend is the best way to witness to a lost person.

Prayer and patience is the most inportant thing
    it may take several years before you finally reach someone.

I tell you what witnessing method will drive a person further from Christ is to thump your Bible and shout at them telling them they are a hell bound sinner if they dont change their ways !

14. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Getting in the face of someone who is just walking down the street, screaming at them.. it's just a silly thing to do. If you get your lights punched out for it, you had it coming.

15. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Well, When I "witness" (I prefer to think of it as sharing my faith), I normally follow this basic outline: (Above all I pray)

1. I establish that we are all seperated from God by our sin, and that there is nothing that we can do ourselves to "make it up" to God.

2. I explain that Christ died for us on the cross to pay the penalty that we owe for our sin; and in doing so he has offered a "pardon" to any who will take it.

3. I explain that we must be willing to turn away from our sin and turn to Jesus Christ; that we must be willing to repent, and that on the condition that we are willing to repent; Christ will give us the ability to change.

4. I explain that it is a committment to Jesus Christ for life, that we must be willing to follow Him.

5. I explain that there is a "cost" involved (losing friends,alienating family, etc.) in following our Lord.

These are the points that I always try to get across, and I normally use the "Romans Road" outline as a presentation.......

I understand that I don't save anyone, that I am "a beggar telling another beggar where to find bread".......I want the person to see the love that Christ has for us, but I don't want to mis-lead them into thinking that as a Christian everything is automatically "hunky-dory".

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Anyone ought to know that if they go to a store to buy an item they would like to buy and being convinced it is the right item for what they want or need and a salesperson tries to push the item on them they will most likely leave or go somewhere else.

Christians who are obnoxious or self righteous have no business sharing their personal faith. Their personal faith does not coincide with the gospel and what Jesus taught. If they shared the gospel they would quickly realize how indebted they are to Christ and would not use their method of condemantion and yelling. But rather plead with the person and offer to bring them the good news they have received. There are times when we must confront directly but not in an obnoxious way but with gentleness and respect for the person.