1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If God chooses

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by DeclareHim, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

That is certainly true, but that was all a part from the beginning. If I misunderstood you on that part, then I apologize. It sounded like you were saying something else.

I don't think that was his intent at all. His focus is not on the messenger, but on the necessity of the message. The point of the messenger is only secondary. And it is not undermined in the least in any way that I can see.

The obedient Christian, whether arminian or Calvinist will say, they need to hear the gospel so that they can be saved; therefore I will tell them.

I can't speak for others, but I reject the "logical and reasonable conclusion" since Scripture rather than logic is our guide. I think most would. While some are fond of saying that Calvinism is driven by logic, it is actually the other way around. You disagree with us by drawing our position to where you think it logically ends and then disagreeing with that. I and some other would agree with you and some of your logical ends. But the Scripture do not teach those logical ends and therefore we do not believe them.

2. C.R. Gordon

C.R. Gordon New Member

"If God had put a white stripe down the backs of the elect, I would be going around London lifting up men's shirt tails. But since He didn't, I preach to everyone."
    -C.H. Spurgeon

=-===============================================

The Lord is not slow about his promise as some count slowness, but is forbearing toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.

Again, as in 1 Timothy 2:4 it appears that the context limits the application of this pined wish. In this case it limits it to the the church, or we might say to the elect. Note the use of the word YOU. "God is forebearing to YOU, not wishing that any should perish."

In other words, God aims to give enough time to the world so that all the elect will repent and be saved. Verse 14 seems to confirm this. Peter addresses the "beloved" and says, "Therefore, beloved, since you wait for these, be zealous to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace. And count the forebearance of our Lord as salvation." That is, God is forebearing and not bringing history to a close because he wants all the "beloved" to repent and be saved.

http://www.desiringgod.org/library/sermons/85/102085p.html

(THAT'S FROM JOHN PIPER)

3. C.R. Gordon

C.R. Gordon New Member