1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If God created a 12 billion year old universe 6000 years ago

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by billwald, Jun 3, 2011.

1. chadman

chadman New Member

Quit observing God's creations and natural laws. Drink more Kool-aid.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

If a text "said" stuff then there would be no need for teachers and preachers. We could all read the text for ourselves. There would be no need for baptistboard. Why are you all all trying to convince me of what the text "says" when there is no agreement between you all.

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you explain the amount and thickness of coal deposits? If the flood created all the world's coal you would have coal veins only a few feet thick.

4. chadman

chadman New Member

So if I get really literal here....
    Gen 1:29 -
    To man - every seed-bearing plant on the face of the Earth for food? What about poisinous plants? What about canibus? This is more poetic than literal.

To the beasts - I give every green plant for food. Was God saying that there were to be no carnivoures? Lions? Komoto Dragons? Fish?! Sharks?! Plankton eating whales?

5. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

What is your evidence for that assertion?

6. chadman

chadman New Member

You ask a good question - and now I thought of another I guess.

Up to the point of the flood, there were mountains - did those mountains have layers of sediment and if so, how deep were they? Ah nevermind, just remembered, the 'appearance of age' thing. You can only look at layers that are up to 6000 yrs old. The rest are deceiving because they although under the same geologic and biological rules, they were artifically created to appear old - so the rules no longer apply past 6000 yrs.

Nevermind.

7. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

Sorry, somehow I double posted.

#67 shodan, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2011
  8. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

http://www.icr.org/article/did-modern-coal-seams-form-peat-swamp/

http://www.icr.org/research/index/researchp_jb_patternsofcirculation/

9. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

I said nothing about life, that is another question [as for the use of 'gap' that only ads confusion because I am NOT referring to the 'gap theory']

All I posted related only to the the fact that we have nothing in Scripture on which to base the age of the planet earth [which, obviously, was lifeless for some period of time whatever your position is].

I am 'assuming' as the text says in verse one that God created the universe. How do you get a 'different creation?...that is gap theory, and as I plainly stated, I, like you, reject that theory. Your continued attack on the gap theory is your strawman. I have no dog in that fight.

I am 'assuming' as verse two says that the earth was lifeless at this point.

And what the time lapse was before God began the forming and filling on day one, no man can say based on this text.

YOU are assuming that verse one is not an ablsolute statement about God's creation of the universe. The empty, dark earth precedes day one in a literal understanding of the text. The three conditions of an EXISTING earth that are described in verse two are then remedied by God beginnning with light for the dark earth.

The earth of verse 2 exists prior to the six days of setting it in order.

[Look at the clear structure of the text. The beginnning of each day is clearly marked with the exact same phrase, "And God said....," the first of which begins in verse 3, FOLLOWING the existing, dark, empty earth of verse 2]

#69 shodan, Jun 13, 2011
  10. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Coal is formed when plant matter settles at the bottom of a body of water then is deeply buried by sediments. Pressure and heat work to compact the dead plants and eventually over time it turns into coal.

If all coal was the result of the flood there would be only about, what, potentially 1,500 years worth of plant life to decay under the world wide flood? It takes several feet thickness of dead vegetation to produce an inch thickness of coal so how can there be coal layers that are 30, 40, 50 feet thick?

Then we are to believe this vegetation would form coal in only another 4,500 years or so?

11. chadman

chadman New Member

12. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

God made coal.

Question answered.

13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Rocky Mountain bristlecone pine trees.

The bristlecone pines are the oldest single living organisms known (though some plants form clonal colonies which may be many times older). The oldest bristlecone pines are single plants that have been alive for a little less than 5,000 years. These very old trees are of great importance in dendrochronology or tree-ring dating.

The oldest (non-clonal, acknowledged) living organism known is a bristlecone pine tree nicknamed "Methuselah" (after Methuselah, the longest-lived person in the Bible). Methuselah is located in the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest in the White Mountains of eastern California, however its precise location is undisclosed by the U.S. Forest Service to protect the tree from vandalism.[1] The age of Methuselah was measured by core samples in 1957 to be 4,789 years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristlecone_pine

14. chadman

chadman New Member

Argg! How could this guy cut down that tree?!!! How could the US let him do it? I know we had to 'know' but that hurts, as I have really idolized Sequoias and Bristlecones since I was a kid. I hope the point is proven and they don't cut anymore down ever again.

15. matt wade

Your use of the word "idolized" sums up exactly how I feel about your views. You have many idols rather than worshiping God.

16. chadman

chadman New Member

Oh seriously - I mean in the vernacular of the day for crying out loud. Do you really think I worship trees? You are wound just a little too tight friend.

Matt - I worship (latria) God alone, not objects. That's to clarify explicitly to YOU.

17. matt wade

I understand that you meant in the "vernacular of the day", but your words on this subject sure seem to indicate otherwise. You certainly come up with every excuse that you can for why God didn't do things.

18. chadman

chadman New Member

Matt - you attack because you cannot put together sound reasoning. You would have made a great Roman Catholic in the Middle Ages defending making slaves out of the incapable natives. You guys all sound alike in retrospect. Same song, different century. Make your point specifically if you have one, not just your emotional dissapointment. Yeah yeah,we are all sad everyone here doesn't agree with us I know.

#78 chadman, Jun 13, 2011
  19. chadman

chadman New Member

In all truth, I believe God is more creative than you will ever have cognition of. He has no boundries, cannot be tied to your limited theology. God is beyond anything you will ever think of in your entire life--EVER EVER. You put God in a box only in your mind, He is not in any box, and is more incredible and great than you will ever concieve of. God is the great I AM. God can do anything.

20. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: