1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If God had expected us to live perfect lives

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by billwald, Mar 20, 2010.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

He would not have provided the OT sacrifices for sin.

There is no evidence that the prophecy about "the Law being written on our hearts" has come to pass. For most educated adults the multiplication table is "written on our hearts" but not God's laws.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What do you believe is necessary for eternal life?

Do you believe Christ physically died?

Do you believe Christ physically rose from the dead?

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    billwald, the prophecy you speak of is given in Jeremiah 31.

However, it is explained more thoroughly in Hebrew 10 where the same passage is quoted by the author of Hebrews.

Please read all of Hebrews 10 - specifially verses 11-18.

The prophecy DID come true, billwald. The author of the book of Hebrews said it did. It came true in Jesus Christ. For the Christian, God does write His laws in our hearts and minds - not for us to live perfect lives, but for us to live holy lives.

We do not obviously live perfect lives as you noted, but the passage says that Jesus had perfected forever those who are being sanctified.

It's not about our perfection. It's about us putting on the mind and attitude of Christ and HIS perfection.

The prophecy in Jeremiah came true when Jesus died and rose again.

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    On the contrary - Romans 2:13-16 indicates that even the uninformed non-Bible aware Gentile that is moved by the Holy Spirit SHOWS the works of the Law WRITTEN on the tablets of the human heart.

in 2Cor 5 -- "If anyone is in Christ he IS a NEW creation".

The Heb 8 repeat of the OT "New Covenant" is as fully tied to "I will remember their sins no more" as "I will write my Laws on their heart".

That is why Paul says in Romans 3:31 that our faith "ESTABLISHES the Law of God".

IN 1Cor 7:19 "but what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God"

John 14:15 "IF you Love Me KEEP My Commandments".

1John 2 argues that the one who SAYS he knows Christ but does not KEEP His commandments - is lying.

Matt 7 Christ said that NOT everyone who SAYS "Lord lord will ENTER the kingdom of heaven" but he who DOES the will "of My Father".

Christ said that the requirements of the Law are "fulfiflled IN US who WALK not after the flesh but after the spirit" Romans 8.

in Christ,

Bob

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess Jesus was just chompin' His bubble gum when He said, "Be ye, therefore, perfect, even as your Father which is in Heaven is perfect."

6. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Why is it that we can talk of a perfect game, or a perfect marriage, or a perfect whatever, but when it comes down to walking perfect as we are commanded, (even in light of the help promised by God to do so) so many throw up their hands and cry impossible!! ??

Does the following Scripture mean anything, anything at all, to some of you? Mr 10:27 "And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible."

7. Heavenly Pilgrim

....or is it "all things" ...."except"...

Why is it that those that cry the loudest concerning the sovereignty of God, and in reality deny the free will of man, proclaim that their God can do anything and nothing He chooses can be thwarted…………….except when it comes to obeying God or loving God with their whole heart or walking perfectly before Him??

Put this down at yet another thing those holding to a system of necessity limit God from being able to accomplish, and withholding from man the ability to accomplish, i.e., obedience out of a pure heart towards God which He commands to be done.

What a taskmaster some on this list serve: A God that demands far more from His creation than that is possible, and punishes man for failure to do that which even God cannot do, i.e., overcome necessitated fate. :rolleyes:

#7 Heavenly Pilgrim, Mar 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2010
  8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone who speaks of their marriage, game, or whatever as perfect is using hyperbole. No one's perfect.

The saints are deemed perfect through Christ, but perfection will not be realized until this corruption puts on incorruption.

9. billwald

billwald New Member

>What do you believe is necessary for eternal life?

Election and regeneration. Conversion is the human response to one's regeneration.

>Do you believe Christ physically died?

Yes.

>Do you believe Christ physically rose from the dead?

Yes.

10. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Death is no sanctifier, it is the last enemy.

If these verse do not depict a perfect life of obedience in this present world I know not what a perfect life could be in this life or in the next.
    Jude 1:24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
    Tit 2:12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
    Ro 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
    Ro 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
    13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
    Ro 6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
    19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
    20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.
    21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.
    22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.
    23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.