1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If God is silent what should the preacher do?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Sep 7, 2010.

?
  1. If I have to make a complex case because the Scripture is silent- I should be silent.

11 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. I can preach against things if I can make a case outside of the Bible for them being wrong

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No sir. What you are doing is filling in the gaps with your own doctrine.

Naaman would not have been healed had he not gone to Jordan. The instruction was clear. The directions were to go to Jordan.

The instruction in the new testament is not as clear concerning worship. This is no doubt because god gave us a worship book, the largest book of the Bible, in the Old Testament. Everyone knew well what God loves in worship. As to your "sacrificing lambs" argument- we all know, including you, why we don't do that. That was a type which was fulfilled by Christ's sacrifice on the cross. Shadows stop at the feet of He who casts them.

Follow your logic- Jesus said they that worship God must worship him in spirit and in truth.

That's it. No voice. No heart. Just spirit and truth. If people use anything but spirit and truth, based on your logic, they are violating Jesus demand that men worship God in spirit and truth.

Of course they are not, because Jesus never intended for that to be exclusive. We can also worship him with tithes and offerings and we can worship him with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs and we can worship him with up raised hands, etc...

What you want to do is eisegesis on this heart and voice concept making it exclusive when obviously it is not.

2. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I might have missed this...but where does the New Testament specifically state to use "heart" and "voice?"

The Archangel

3. RAdam

RAdam New Member

4. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Paul talked about singing with the spirit and with the understanding also. There is your spirit and truth.

5. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok. Those verses are:
    Ephesians 5:19--addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart,

Colossians 3:16--Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
    So, then...where are you getting this: "It tells us to sing with the spirit and with the understanding, and to use two instruments - the heart and voice."

How, then, is the heart an instrument? Where does it specifically state that the only instrument to be used is the voice?

The Archangel

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It doesn't. This is why I started this thread. Thousands of preachers are infected with a deadly hermeneutic which makes them more popes than ambassadors for Christ. From thence churches are unnecessarily split, heresies are born, the name of Christ gets a black eye and doors are slammed shut for the gospel.

7. Truth Files

Truth Files New Member

If the Lord is silent then the preacher should shut up on the related issues

Tell it like it is .... stick with the scriptures

On insight and spiritual matters related to the cares of this life:

Good things come to those that wait ..... not to those who hesitate

So hurry up and wait upon the Lord .... for His answers

His holy spirit will lead you into all truth .... but presumptious thought and second guessing the Lord will produce nothing but confusion