1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured If repentance is necessary for eternal life...(then why)?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HungryInherit, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Repentance is turning to God (Acts 20:21). Anyone who even suggests that one can be saved without turning to God (repentance) is a false teacher.

#41 Judith, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2013
  2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin; As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one. Romans 3:9-12

Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that thou the LORD God, and thou hast turned their heart back again. 1 Kings 18:37

YLT Gal 3:22 but the Writing did shut up the whole under sin, that the promise by faith [of] Jesus Christ may be given to those believing.> But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: John 10:26,27

But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee; Delivering from the people, and the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, To open their eyes, and to turn from darkness to light, and the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by [faith that is in me]. Acts 26:17,18

For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. Heb 8:10-1

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs::applause:

4. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also liked that.

I believe the post I just put in The atonement thread also applies here so here it is.

Here is the one group of people named in the bible.

For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, from Romans 11:32

V31 Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.--- these being Israel who are blinded.

V30 For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief: --- Ye being the Gentiles

All are concluded in unbelief so God can have mercy on all, the last part of V32 that he might have mercy upon all.

So that the gifts and calling of God can come through mercy, rather than coming by repentance.

V29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

Or as Paul puts this same thought in Galatians 3:22 YLT

but the Writing did shut up the whole under sin, that the promise (gifts &calling) by faith of Jesus Christ may be given to those believing.> Those who God through mercy have moved from unbelief unto belief. R11:29-32

BTW Gal 3:22 says the promise comes by faith of Christ not by faith from within man.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    isn't faith and repentence like flip sides of same coin, as no sinners by and of their own voliation will repent and come to jesus for salvation, as the Holy Spirit grants to them the heart/minds needed to do that! Its the working of God, His means to save His own chosen to be found in Christ!