1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured If SBC Local Churches Could Take a Poll........

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by saturneptune, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well okay...good response....i will have to think on this a bit..read up on this when I can. I am not sure which if any of these other groups who get demonized held correct principles.....to some extent..waldesences, cathari, mennonites, etc. History is not my strong suit.....but I have always been dissatisfied with some of the answers available..... Bothh catholics and protestants attacked and spoke evil of them, and sometimes the error was pretty bad ...it seems to have been a mess....

2. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Several things draw me to the Anabaptists, two of which are: First, they tried very hard to base their faith and practice on the NT, especially the teachings and practices of Jesus. They tried to follow Him literally -- thus their refusal to take oaths and their pacifism. Secondly, they courageously and steadfastly held to these principles in the face of the worst persecution and murder, by other professed Christians -- the Catholics and the Magisterial Reformers. And they didn't fight back.

To them and the Baptists and Quakers they inspired, we owe our religious liberty, paid for with their suffering and blood. That's one example of why I am so passionate about freedom.

3. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I know we have exchanged some good PMs and have come to an understanding, but I want to say something to you here, in public: I have come to believe and see that you really do have a concern and heart for others and want them to come to a knowledge of the truth of the Gospel.

You and I are both very passionate about our beliefs and express these beliefs passionately. While we also disagree passionately on some things and probably will never believe the same way about these, I don't question your motives. I guess we have been just about as hostile to each other as it's possible to be on a forum, but I'm glad we are beyond that. I do consider you a brother, and I think that if you and I can come to this point, there is hope for any two people on this forum to get there, also.

As Spock said on Star Trek, "Live long and prosper." :)

I pray God's blessings on you and yours.

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Anybody who professes faith in Christ can join an SBC church. This is probably not a good practice, but, yes, this is the way it is.

But the fact that we do not let denominational leaders repudiate these doctrines, and the fact that we do not support ANYONE who cannot heartily ascribe to the BF&M is enough to consider the BF&M a confessional statement.

Anyone who repudiates it, may be allowed to vote at the convention- but they cannot be considered a true Southern Baptist while refusing to ascribe to the doctrines WHICH MAKE US WHAT WE ARE.

5. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Sounds like you wish the SBC was the PSBC -- the Presbyterian Southern Baptist Convention. :)

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

What ought to be the case more than it is in the SBC is that the convention does not give a vote to churches that repudiate the faith that DEFINES us as Southern Baptists- the BF&M.

We don't have to have a presbytery to disfellowship churches that do not affirm the BF&M.

7. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

No, you would just have to act like a presbytery -- and that isn't Baptist.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You are correct. Our church several years ago peaked at a membership of about 600. Our church covenant allows disfellowship, with a few exceptions for military, college, and unable to attend, for one year of non attendance and support. Of course, we did not follow this well, and these types lingered on our rolls for decades. Finally, starting several years ago, we attempted to make contact, and if no interest was shown, we voted them a few off the rolls at a time month by month at business meetings. Even at this, Sunday morning runs 55 or so with a total membership of about 120.

This is a subject for another thread, the invitation, but surfice to say with all its problems and sales gimics, it is better than no invitation. The Presbyterian Church has been brought up several times. I grew up in a PCA church in Gulfport, MS. The natural order of worship at the end was end of sermon, closing hymn, and marching out like robots. No thanks. This is another drawback of the denomination in addition to the hierachy, elder rule, and infant baptism.

9. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If this is not a good practice, how else should we go about it?

10. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, in order to maintain the assembly unity around what the founders of that local assembly ascribed in their statement(s) of faith and other important documents, it really should be more than a profession of faith followed by Baptism, or transfer of membership.

Prospective membership should be based upon review and acceptance of what has unified the believers of that assembly.

In that way, the doctrinal shift that is (has) occurred in the local assembly would be far less and membership would recall just what binds them together.

The BF&M is not sufficient, for it does not address basic doctrine which the lack of understanding has caused many splits and splinter assemblies.

Such would never occur if from the start a prospective member understood the doctrinal position of the assembly, and ascent to it would allow the assembly to accept the person as a member.

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It is PERFECTLY Baptist to disassociate with people who disavow the fundamental doctrines you consider extremely important. Nothing could more Baptist.

If a church was taken over by Satan worshipers but still gave to the cooperative program, should they be fellowshipped?? Should they be given a vote at the convention?

No. It is our Baptist prerogative to disfellowship churches that disavow the doctrines we hold dear.

It would be LESS than Baptist to NOT do so.

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It depends on the circumstances.

In the early church when public profession meant, at best being ostracized by the world, and at worst meant being tortured to death- you could pretty well bank on the sincerity of the profession.

Today, a homosexual can come forward, make a bogus profession, be baptized and voted in on the spot (or a week later), and then make his homosexuality known and sue the church when they throw him out.

There needs to be discipleship AND a contractual agreement that the one joining the church avows the doctrines the church holds dear and accepts that the church has the right to remove that membership if that member embraces a sinful lifestyle.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean like in an ole fashioned Reformed Baptist Church? :smilewinkgrin:

14. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

That is not the point we have been debating, and you know it. The point is that you would like the convention to have the power and authority of a presbytery -- and that is definitely NOT Baptist.

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Most on this thread have had no dealings with a Presbytery. As I said, I was a Presbyterian well into adulthood. Trust me, for all the problems we have, none of you really wants a presbytery dictating your choice of pastors, how you manage you budget, or what you do with your local church building. Everyone of you are used to your local church making those decisions, and doubt a one of you want to have levels of authority above the local church.

If a church wants elder rule, that is their business. I am against it because elder rule usually becomes elder worship. Their election is usually based on social standing, not spiritual maturity. What happens is they are no more fit to lead than the average layman.

16. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Michael,
    One basis of a biblical friendship is the ability to communicate freely and openly. in Proverbs we are told that open rebuke is better than secret love.
    Some of what has taken place in our disputing follows this proverb.
    But two other verses come to mind,
    Somewhere in the middle there is a godly balance ,and wholesome words that we should use unto edification.
    Because of the sometime heated nature of a debate we can drift into sinful communication....I know I do sometime:thumbsup:
    This is not corrrect and we must watch and mortify this sinful form of communication...even when provoked sinfully by someone else.:wavey:

That being said....working through differences can be quite helpful, if not a real challenge.
    Some misunderstandings would be avoided face to face because verbal correction could be offered that the key board does not allow for as much.

I also have a strange sense of humor that sometimes does not come across well....but I believe you have noticed this by now:laugh:

It is a natural fruit of the Spirit to seek the well being of others...like in this greeting....
    1 The elder unto the wellbeloved Gaius, whom I love in the truth.

2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.
    This is where we should be travelling together on this BB ...as much as is possible.

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I've not one time SAID that the convention should have some power over the church.

I've said repeatedly now that the convention should DISFELLOWSHIP itself from any and EVERY church that does not affirm the doctrines for which the SBC EXISTS.

18. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Thanks for that well-stated post!

I think I also have the same kind of sense of humor that you do. It gets me into trouble sometimes. :)

19. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Luke, where in Mississippi are you? If you want to tell me, you can PM me.