1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If someone gave you...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Salty, Nov 9, 2011.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Do you realize how many such stories could be told about those who prayed and never used a rosary????? Do you realize how many personal crises could be told about those who prayed and never belonged to the Catholic Church?????

What about the battles the crusaders lost when all Catholics were praying?????

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. In addition, it may well open up an opportunity for me to share my testimony. This past year has been a difficult one for my family. Due to some publicity, a few people have ignored us and some others have been less than kind (even though most of our friends and acquaintances have been extremely gracious). I cannot imagine not accepting this gift that was heartfelt.

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

exactly!

4. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah, I think that is the most tactful and kindest thing you could do that would still leave an open door to share the gospel with them as time and circumcstances permit.

5. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Assuming this is a close acquaintance of mine, as I probably wouldn't from a complete stranger, I would accept them as a gift of friendship. My friends know I am not Catholic and know that I do not pray to Mary, but I would understand they are offering them in the spirit of friendship and comfort...they are sharing with me something that brings them comfort. I would appreciate the gesture and use it as an opportunity to share how I work through difficult times in my life.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

7. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

As an RC I would not give a non RC a rosary. It is not just a string of beads and to do so would be utterly pointless. I know some people wear them as part of a fashion. My mother (a Lutheran) would be very uncomfortable in accepting them.

If you were going through a tough time you WOULD be included in my prayers.

As stated by others, I would thank the person for the gesture, but ask them to keep the gift.

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about just accepting a thoughtful gift, is that even possible? While at the hospital with a sick family member, another family gave us a bottle of holy water. Not our tradition but it was gift of concern and kindness from a family who sympathized and empathized with our situation. "Thank you and may God bless you"

9. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, WWJD?

Would Jesus queitly accept the beads as thoughtful? Or would Jesus take the opportunity to teach the truth?

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus would probably say something like this;

Except a man be born again, he cannot enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Beware therefore, lest that come upon you, which is spoken of in the prophets; Behold, ye despisers, and wonder, and perish: for I work a work in your days, a work which ye shall in no wise believe, though a man declare it unto you.

The most important issue is eternal life or condemnation. shall we let our friends continue in death for fear of offending them?

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Now it could be that it is out of ignorance your friend believes in prayers to Mary. You then must guide them into the truth and liberate them from this false doctrine. But what of those who are shown the truth yet reject the truth and continue on practicing idolatry? You might lose that friend, but far worse is the lost of their own soul. We must try our best to bring them to Christ. Ye must be born again!

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know and neither do you. It is interesting to note that after healing people Jesus told the now healed individuals to go and present themselves at the Temple to people trying to kill him, who would be referred to as whitewashed tombs, etc....

Why didn't Jesus take the additional time to "teach the truth", did he not care about the truth, shouldn't he have warned these folks about the errors they would encounter at the Temple?

13. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You assume that believing that Mary intercedes for Christians is 'out of ignorance'. I spent most of my undergraduate years at Biola University and had opportunity to take several classes from an Orthodox prof who taught there for a time. I came to the conclusion that she (Mary) and the other saints in heaven intercede for those Christians on earth based on study of scripture and the writings of the Early Church and taking the time to visit Catholic apologetics sites, books and study of the Catechism. The idea that Catholics are all just a bunch of ignorant 'sheepal' is far from the truth.

14. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Apostle Paul was well educated in the Jews religion and he rejected the gospel of Jesus Christ before his conversion. He himself said that he did this out of ignorance even though at the time he was convinced that the Jews religion was accurately teaching the scriptures concerning Christ. Could it be that these Catholics whom are convinced that the RCC has taught the scriptures correctly for all these centuries is just flat out wrong and will be found as Paul, in ignorance? Just a thought, Paul thought he had the scriptures dead on as did all the fathers before him as they taught it.

15. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have a pretty good idea how Jesus would respond by the examples given of Him in the scriptures, as well as the Apostles responses to idolatry when they came up against it. We are told to follow the Apostle's example as well as Christ's.

16. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You have a point. I want to point out though that it appears that the biggest objection people have to rosary's on this thread is Mary's intercession. Rosary's are used as tools for other forms of prayer. I use mine each day at noon in the devotion of 'Divine Mercy'. The rosary is primarily used as a meditation on the life of Christ and is sometimes used when time does not allow for praying the office of Morning and Evening Prayer.

17. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That's true, but from what i'm hearing here is that the rosary is taught by catholics to be used with specific prayers and many of them to Mary. Is this true, or is it used for any prayers you want to God?

18. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The 'hail Mary' is definately the most common prayer associated with the rosary. It's a simple request for Mary's intercession. However, a rosary can be used for any form of prayer to God. No Catholic is obliged to use a rosary if they don't want to. I first used mine for what many refer to as 'The Jesus Prayer' which is: “Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner”. When I was taught to pray this prayer it was explained to me "There is only one prerequisite, one presupposition: that you are a Christian. If you have faith in Christ, hope in Christ, and love of Christ, you can pray the most powerful prayer in the world, because you have real contact with the greatest power in the universe: Christ himself, who assured us, in his last words to his apostles, that “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me” (Mt 28:18).

I understand there is an Anglican Rosary. In fact, I found scads of them listed on Ebay. I read that it is most often used with 'The Jesus Prayer'. Maybe Matt Black or some other Anglican can comment further on that.

Besides Anglicans and Catholics, the Orthodox use 'rosaries' or prayer beads. Also, I found that a Lutheran monastery in Michigan has started using them in personal devotions.

http://www.staugustineshouse.org/

Also, I read a book by J. Nevile Ward, a Methodist pastor: 'Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy: Meditations on the Rosary'. In it he explains that the rosary as a form of prayer: "creates a rhythm that helps wean us from our distractions and focus our attention so that we can more readily move into God's presence."

#58 Walter, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2013
  19. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, idk Walter. I have never been involved in a catholic church, but it seems that catholics place Mary equal with Christ. I can't imagine praying to Mary or any other saint when I can pray directly to God as a saint myself.

20. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Any Catholic that places Mary as equal to Christ is going against Church teaching and is commiting a grave sin. Correct me if I am wrong but I suspect to you it SEEMS that the Catholic Church (and Orthodox Church) place Mary as being equal to Christ because you believe that asking them for intercession is idolatry and worship. I used to as well. Through study and prayer I now understand that I can go directly to God and I can also ask my brother and sisters in Christ both on earth and those who have gone to be with the Lord to pray for me. Intercession is not worship.