1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured If you are not a “Calvinist”….

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by canadyjd, Nov 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What was different about you that caused you to believe the gospel unto salvation and not the guy or lady next to you?

For “Calvinists” the answer is simple. Salvation is a work of God from start to finish.

But for those who dismiss God’s determining the salvation of people, what makes you different from those that reject the gospel?

Please, it’s a serious question.

peace to you

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The foundational problem with this gotcha question that is one of the favorite questions of Calvinist’s. It’s foundational idea is flawed because it focuses on the action of belief as a work but it fails the test of what a biblical work is.

The answer to the question was given by Jesus and in no part of it did Jesus ever mention believing or rejecting God as a work yet He made it clear that the act of coming to God and rejecting Him is left to the individual even though they both hear the same gospel. This is by Gods design.

pAnd this isthe judgment: qthe light has come into the world,and rpeople loved the darkness rather than thelight because stheir works were evil. 20 tForeveryone who does wicked things hates the lightand does not come to the light, ulest his worksshould be exposed. 21 But whoever vdoes what istrue wcomes to the light, so that it may be clearlyseen that his works have been carried out in God.” John 3:19-21

What it doesn’t say is that men love darkness because they were not elect according to the calvie definition of election. In fact election is not part of this anywhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t believe faith is a work. I had no intention of this being a “gotcha” question or that it is often used by “Calvinists”. My question is sincere.

Two people hear the gospel. One believes, one rejects. What made the difference?

For the “Calvinist” it is clear that salvation is a work of God, start to finish.

If you don’t know, just say so.

peace to you

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are justified by faith in Jesus Christ because we wanted to be when we found out we could be, and by him we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand and rejoice in the "hope of the glory of God," which is the new body in which we can come into the presence of God.

As usual, Calvinism has it 180 degrees opposite of the truth. They say that faith is a work. They really say this, in spite of the scriptures saying just the opposite.Watch it, the scriptures saying the opposite of Calvinism.

Rom 4:3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
    4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
    5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, [was] not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.
    14 For if they which are of the law [be] heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:
    15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, [there is] no transgression.
    16 Therefore [it is] (the promise) of faith, that [it might be] by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,
    17 (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, [even] God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.
    18 Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.
    19 And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara’s womb:
    20 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;
    21 And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.
    22 And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.

I do not want to be gross here or offensive but Abraham manifested his faith by a conjugal visit with Sarah. Had he not done that after the promise that he would be the father of nations, then it would have proven he did not have faith in God and his promise. Abraham was 100 years old and the scriptures say that Sarah was past child bearing at 90 years old.

It is just silly to say that faith is a work and it makes no sense. There is an "obedience of faith" for the nations to receive the "gospel of God."

Ro 16:26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

Here is a passage that says faith is not work.

Ga 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

God commands sinners to believe but he does not program them to believe.

Ro 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

#4 JD731, Nov 9, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    see I have a clear answer most of which you ignored and then suggested I don’t know. This type of response is common among calvinists. If you don’t have a clear response to mine just say so.

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, salvation is of God from start to finish.

Yes, mankind - inside the sovereignty of God - MUST believe and obey.

Do you believe that God was lying to Cain when he warned him about sin and gave him the plan to righteousness? I don't beieve God was lying. I believe God was VERY serious.

Yet Cain CHOSE not to believe, not to obey, and to disregard the will of God.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, your response in post 2 is that those that rejected the gospel loved darkness, and those that accepted the gospel are the ones that are doing what is true?

So, you believe the difference is that those who are doing what is true accept the gospel and those that love darkness reject the gospel?

peace to you

8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok. People make choices based on their own desires. Is that your point?

It doesn’t answer the question. What is the difference between the person who accepts and the person who rejects?

peace to you

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very short answer, for me curiosity. Rom 1:20 really says it all. How a person can look at creation and think it just happened is beyond me.

You ask what makes me different from those that do not believe. I think it comes down to the difference between can’t and wont. For the ones that do not believe it is not that they cannot believe it is that will not believe. My sister in law said that she wished she could have faith like my wife and I. When I talked to her she said that she just could not give up her life style, she wont change. My brother is the same, he wont believe because he would have to change his life style.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    what I believe is what Jesus said about this topic.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most do not understand how salvation happens. First God imparts the new birth. The Spirit bears witness with our spirit causing us to believe, based on this experience. If someone pats you on the back, you received a pat on the back just as we received Christ. Any act of the will before experiencing this has nothing to do with salvation.

#11 1689Dave, Nov 10, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  12. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You wrote:
    The answer to the question was given by Jesus and in no part of it did Jesus ever mention believing or rejecting God as a work yet He made it clear that the act of coming to God and rejecting Him is left to the individual even though they both hear the same gospel. This is by Gods design.

pAnd this isthe judgment: qthe light has come into the world,and rpeople loved the darkness rather than thelight because stheir works were evil. 20 tForeveryone who does wicked things hates the lightand does not come to the light, ulest his worksshould be exposed. 21 But whoever vdoes what istrue wcomes to the light, so that it may be clearlyseen that his works have been carried out in God.” John 3:19-21

13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually two questions.
    The first question is nonsense. Since no one knows the mind of others.

The second question also is problematic. God is fully omniscient.

14. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, the difference is that those who believe are willing to give up their lifestyles and those that reject are not willing to give up their lifestyles?

Is that correct?

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  15. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    So do I. Jesus said My sheep hear My voice. I call them by name. They follow Me. And many others that demonstrate salvation is determined by God’s Will toward His elect.

You quoted Jesus John 3:19-21 (not sure the version you are using) as the answer to what makes the difference.
    This passage identifies two groups; 1.Those that do what is true and 2. Those that love darkness.

Are you saying the difference between those that believe and those that don’t is those that accept the gospel “does what is true” and those that reject “love the darkness”?

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is what I’m saying that is what Jesus said.

17. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, thanks for being candid.

peace to you

18. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What was the cause why one lost sinner heard the Gospel message and received Jesus as their Lord and savior, and yet one right next to them stayed deaf and dumb and blind?

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’ve answered that

20. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe this is @Revmitchell s answer:
    the act of coming to God and rejecting Him is left to the individual even though they both hear the same gospel. This is by Gods design.

Therefore, Rev seems to be dualistic. Humans cause their own salvation, but that is the way Rev believes God designed it.

So, short answer: Humans cause their own salvation, according to what Rev has specifically stated.

Now, let's see if Rev tries to backtrack.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.