1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured If you don't have faith in Jesus, and nor repent, IS THIS A SIN?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by utilyan, Nov 29, 2018.

1. OfLivingWaters

OfLivingWaters Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Romans 4 English Standard Version (ESV)
    Abraham Justified by Faith
    4 What then shall we say was gained by Abraham, our forefather (according )to the( flesh)? 2 For if Abraham was justified by (works) ACCORDING TO THE FLESH. Paul is addressing the Jews presumption concerning circumcision.
    FULL CONTEXT OF AN ARGUMENT MATTERS.
    , he has something to boast about, but not before God. 3 For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.” 4 Now to the one who works, his wages are not counted as a gift but as his due. 5 And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness, 6 just as David also speaks of the blessing of the one to whom God counts righteousness apart from works:

7 “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven,
    and whose sins are covered;
    8 blessed is the man against whom the Lord will not count his sin.”

9 Is this blessing then only for the circumcised, or also for the uncircumcised? For we say that faith was counted to Abraham as righteousness. 10 How then was it counted to him? Was it before or after he had been circumcised? It was not after, but before he was circumcised. 11 He received the sign of circumcision as a seal of the righteousness that he had by faith while he was still uncircumcised. The purpose was to make him the father of all who believe without being circumcised, so that righteousness would be counted to them as well, 12 and to make him the father of the circumcised who are not merely circumcised but who also walk in the footsteps of the faith that our father Abraham had before he was circumcised.

The Promise Realized Through Faith
    13 For the promise to Abraham and his offspring that he would be heir of the world did not come through the law but through the righteousness of faith. 14 For if it is the adherents of the law who are to be the heirs, faith is null and the promise is void. 15 For the law brings wrath, but where there is no law there is no transgression.

16 That is why it depends on faith, in order that the promise may rest on grace (WHICH COMES FROM BELIEF IN CHRIST JESUS) and be guaranteed to all his offspring—not only to the adherent of the law but also to the one who shares the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all, 17 as it is written, “I have made you the father of many nations”—in the presence of the God in whom he believed, who gives life to the dead and calls into existence the things that do not exist. 18 In hope he believed against hope, that he should become the father of many nations, as he had been told, “So shall your offspring be.” 19 He did not weaken in faith when he considered his own body, which was as good as dead (since he was about a hundred years old), or when he considered the barrenness of Sarah's womb. 20 No unbelief made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, 21 fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised. 22 That is why his faith was “counted to him as righteousness.” 23 But the words “it was counted to him” were not written for his sake alone, 24 but for ours also.( It will be counted to us who believe in him), who raised from the dead (Jesus our Lord,) 25 (who was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification).
    THE SCRIPTURE CAN NOT BE DIVIDED AGAINST THEMSELVES.
    Faith Without Works Is Dead James 2
    14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? 17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
    YOUR INTERPRETATION IS OBVIOUSLY WRONG. You are comparing two different works being addressed and try to use one to delete out the other.
    I on the other hand weave them together and I show harmony.
    The Scriptures are one as God is one .
    18 But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder! 20 Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works; 23 and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God. 24 You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. 25 And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? 26 For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.

24 You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. Faith and works are One as God is one.
    18 But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder!

#81 OfLivingWaters, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  2. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You Baptist who refuse to accept the written Word of God do an injustice to yourselves. It is this simple, can a Jew or anyone be saved through the law? Can a Jew or anyone be saved by ONLY BELIEVING IN CHRIST? Is to believe in Christ an act, (work),acceptance of Grace? That is the OP point. Now it would seem you all think there is no action or (work) in saying (yes) to Christ.

I am going to say it is because you misunderstand predestined and Elect. Just because God knows something about you that does not mean you fully know. It does not mean you are privy to what He knows. In His foreknowledge, He does already know whose are His. "I know mine and mine know ME" . That does not mean you know anything for sure. But we must live as though we are elect. Arrogance has NO SHARE IN THAT.
    Pressing Toward the Goal Philippians 3:11-13
    11and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead. 12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been perfected, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have laid hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,…

The arrogance of those who think they have already attained their crown reveals that you are not even in the race. Philippians means BROTHERLY LOVE. You show none to other Christians who do not think like you. Are you predestined and elect?

It is one thing to BOAST IN THE LORD, (IN THE LORD, CONCERNING ALL HIS SPLENDOR) and another to boast in yourselves.

3. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All the saints are humble. Judas got arrogant , that is to teach all by that . Don't get cocky! What you think you may have , you may not. I know.... you will try to find some scripture to put against Paul, who in his humility says he does not claim to have already grabbed hold of that crown. That too will be a misapplication of the written word and that too you will need to be corrected on.

Self interpretation of the written word leads to false interpretation. It is by humble obedience to Christ that one receives the Holy Spirit to proper understand. It is not by shouting " I am the BORN AGAIN , PREDESTINED , ELECT OF GOD". No humility there , your arrogance reveals you as contrary to.
    Proverbs 16:18
    Pride comes before destruction, and an arrogant spirit before a fall.

4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, Abraham was justified though his work (Genesis 22:12) some 50 years after him being justified through his faith (Genesis 15:6) without work. Romans 4, James 2:14-26.

5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did Jesus lie? John 3:3. Mark 10:15. Titus 1:2.

6. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Time is not the issue , Abraham is a type and example for us to learn by. If you think in your arrogance you have 50 years to do something, have at it. His life story, yes is over time. That makes no difference to the message being conveyed in the Gospels and scriptures of the NT. And no matter what you are making the written word sound like, a house divided against itself. I know Pride hates to be wrong. So have at it.

You explain James 2
    14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has( faith )but does not have (works)? Can that faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? 17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is (dead).

18 But someone will say, (“You have faith and I have works.” Show me your FAITH APART from your WORKS, and I will show you my FAITH by my WORKS) 19 (You believe that God is one; you do well). Even the demons believe—and shudder! 20 Do you want to be shown, (you foolish person), that faith apart from works is useless? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works; 23 and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God. 24 You see that a person is (justified by works and not by faith alone). 25 And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? 26 For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.

24 You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. Faith and works are One as God is one.
    18 But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder!

7. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is strange how You Baptist are fighting against those who believe on Jesus Christ(say yes and accept Him) reject the belief they have (faith) which they show by their works , by arguing faith ALONE justifies when the scriptures say otherwise. YES FAITH is necessary and faith and Works, believers too say that, that is not the problem. The problem is your false doctrine which says faith and works are not one, FAITH ALONE, is your argument. THE SCRIPTURES PROVE YOU WRONG. YET you keep insisting about FAITH ALONE! Do you not hear yourselves?
    24 You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.
    20 Do you want to be shown, (you foolish person), that faith apart from works is useless?
    18 Show me your FAITH APART from your WORKS, and I will show you my FAITH by my WORKS
    19 (You believe that God is one; you do well). Even the demons believe—and shudder!

It is not complicated . Do you believe God is one? My question: Why do you people want to delete Faith and Works?

Is there teaching of the two being one in the written word, YES or NO? Is it in the written word FAITH AND WOKS AND NOT FAITH ALONE?

8. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are confusing Justification with Salvation. Salvation is accepting the Grace God has given in Christ Jesus. These are two different debates. You are dividing the word and misleading the debate. No wonder why you do not get it.

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you seem to deny are three things, 1) being saved as a current possession. 2) That it is without works. 3) Works are a result of already being saved.
    ". . . For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. . . ." -- Ephesians 2:8-10.

10. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without justification one is not saved. Yes they are to different concepts. Both are without works. (Romans 4:5; Ephesians 2:8-9.)

11. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You seem to be missing three things 1. accepting Christ 2. accepting Christ 3. accepting Christ
    The OP addresses that -one must accept Christ a work of faith, they are one as God is one, not faith alone , but by works which show ones faith. fight with God all you want , have the middle word all you want. Christ will be the last word and will uphold His chosen. James 2 stands, I don't know who you think you are talking back to God.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Accepting Christ is one thing. And work of faith is not to be confused with faith itself. (Romans 4:5)
    What James wrote (James 2:24) is indeed God's word (Ephesians 2:10) on the matter. We seem to disagree on order of works and Salvation through justification.

You seem to contend, faith > works > justification > salvation.

My position is faith > justification > salvation > works > jusification. (Romans 4:5; Ephesians 2:8-10; James 2:24; Romans 11:6).

13. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Choice of Life or Death Deuteronomy 30:18-20
    …18I declare to you today that you will surely perish; you shall not prolong your days in the land you are crossing the Jordan to possess. 19I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you today that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing. So choose life, so that you and your descendants may live, 20and that you may love the LORD your God, obey Him, and hold fast to Him. For He is your life, and He will prolong your life in the land the LORD swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.”…

Only those who are perishing laugh at the choice put before them. That choice is yours, a work in the flesh not faith.

Faith knows all that which the written word says is Christ. Rejecting parts is to reject all. THE WORD OF THE LORD!
    Half a truth is the greatest lie of all for it is meant to deceive. Deception is your name and it is shame upon your soul. James2 stands you do not- according to your own work in the flesh. The flesh profits nothing. You are a Judas you betray the Word.

14. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has( faith )but does not have (works)? Can that faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? 17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is (dead).

18 But someone will say, (“You have faith and I have works.” Show me your FAITH APART from your WORKS, and I will show you my FAITH by my WORKS) 19 (You believe that God is one; you do well). (SEEMS YOU DO NOT BELIEVE GOD IS ONE. YOU KEEP TRYING TO DIVIDE FAITH AND WORKS),You clearly do not understand Romans either.

Even the demons believe—and shudder! 20 Do you want to be shown, (you foolish person), that faith apart from works is useless? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works; 23 and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God. 24 You see that a person is (justified by works and not by faith alone). 25 And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? 26 For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.

15. OfLivingWaters

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It would seem based on what your argument is, your faith is dead!

16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Why? Do you know my works? God does.

Now the Revelation of Jesus Christ speaks of this regarding the judgement, ". . . And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. . . ." -- Revelation 20:15.

Notice every man will be judged according to their works -- Revelation 20:11-13. And only those whose names are not removed from the book of life are saved. (Revelation 3:5; Revelation 20:15)

The following tells of the difference between the saved and the lost:
    ". . . He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death. . . ." -- Revelation 21:7-8.

What matters is whom God says He saves.

Jesus stated it is those how do God's will, Matthew 7:21-23. Those who do God's will Jesus knows, those who don't Jesus never knew.

Do you really know?