1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If You Had To...

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, May 8, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you had to write a thesis, what would you write about?

If you have written a thesis, what did you write about?

If you are writing a thesis, what are you writing about?

2. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

An analysis of theology taught through Southern Gospel hymnody

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I wrote my thesis on 1 Peter 3:18-20 from a Greek perspective. Despite all the research I did at the time, I really wasn't sure about what I believed about the text even after I was finished.

But I have come to a conclusion it now, I hope.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

I would read Tater's first, and if it was good, xerox it.

:laugh:

(kidding)

The internet's effect on relationship progression in teenagers.

5. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the "For what it is worth" file.

To whom it may concern (and I cannot believe you ask!:laugh: ),

My doctoral dissertation title was:

"A Rhetorical Taxonomy of the Jubilee 2000 Papal Apology of John Paul II"

In it I combined my grad work in The History of Christian Thought, Ethics, Rhetoric, and Rhetorical Criticism.

I would not have ever thought that anyone would even ask or care. I was under the impression that a dissertation was "an exercise unto graduation!"

But, thanks for asking.:wavey:

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

#5 Rhetorician, May 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2007
  6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin Luther King
    The Full Truth

7. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I took a Technical Writing class once, and the prof told us that the main point of professional technical writing was to be clear. As a contrast, he said that the ultimate goal of the american education system was the final goal of a doctoral dissertation. The dissertaion is to be submitted to an oral board, and if the dissertation is so confusing that the board cannot understand it, they won't admit it, and will say "This is very deep, you pass." Therefore the goal of the american educational system is to teach you to write with so much obscurity that you can ultimately confuse a dissertation board and get a PhD.

I'm getting closer, but have not yet arrived.

8. Broadus

Broadus Member

I suspect your prof had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek!

My SBTS PhD (2003) in church history dissertation is entitled "
    From Biblical Fidelity to Organizational Efficiency: The Gospel Ministry from English Separatism of the Late Sixteenth Century to the Southern Baptist Convention of the Early Twentieth Century." And yes, it was written to be understood clearly. ;)

Bill

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I did a cumulative undergrad that was "Theology of the Psalms." I also had one for contemporary homiletical applications drawn from the Major prophets. For graduate work, "The Influence of John A. Broadus's On The Preparation.... on the teaching of homiletics in non-Southern Baptist seminaries." Also considered "The Design, Structure, and Impact of Ministry Internships at the undergraduate level."

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some very interesting topics/titles indeed.

One of the reasons I asked is because I have to do a major research project for my current MA program. It is not technically a thesis, but it carries all the same requirements as a thesis (original research, primary sources, defense, etc). I know I am interested in Plymouth Colony, and since I have already signed on with a professor who is a scholar in Colonial American History, Plymouth is my general topic. My problem is that I have to come up with some sort of specific, original idea for my research project, and I am having some trouble coming up with that. Currently I am leaning towards some aspect of family life in day-to-day Plymouth, maybe also looking at how it changed/evolved throughout the existence of the colony (1620-1691). That would of course include, but would not be limited to, Church and religious practices.

So, with that in mind, how did you come to your specific title/topic? Per instructions from the professor, I am doing loads of reading on Plymouth(primary and secondary sources) but I just can't seem to settle on a specific point of research.

Btw, the professor was impressed that many of the things he was going to require me to read I had already read or was already reading. So, I know topic well and I love the topic. I got interested in Plymouth through my studies of early American Church History.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.