1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured IF You Hold To Sign Gifts Operating, what verse/Function?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by DaChaser1, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    there you go! it is manifesting now...because you allowed it out of the box:thumbsup:

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is bad teaching.

I haven't seen anyone in this discussion advocate anything like this.

3. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've only seen one healing.

I've never seen anyone raised from the dead... yet.

If you remember the scripture, it is VERY unusual for anyone to be raised from the dead. Jesus Himself didn't do it very often, so your demand of it as evidence that sign gifts are still in operation is very strange.

And if someone WAS raised from the dead, would you believe the report? I doubt I would.

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    they need to get in touch with their inner celtic ,druid, roots...the church has left all these teachings.....the church thought doctrine was important...but no, that is just the dead letter of the law....jesus is the same, yesterday today and forever...they lack belief...remember jesus could do no works there?
    they are not allowing a spirit to operate there...they are quenching the spirit:thumbsup:

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    that is because they only have a measure of faith.....you must first bind satan,,,to see these manifestations:thumbsup: remember ,you must bind the strongman

6. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see you are a fount of bad teaching.

Yes, I know you are trying to portray us as advocating this position, but that's not right. I think this sort of teaching is wrong as well.

Just because many people in the charismatic movement, especially one's you SE on television, had bad theology, doesn't mean that all have it. Furthermore, it certainly doesn't mean that we on BaptistBoard advocate it just because we may agree with Charismatics that some of the sign gifts may be manifested today.

Since both you and Roman Catholics believe that Jesus is the Unique Son of God, should I make the claim that you Hold to Catholic doctrine?

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, you make a good point, but then again;
    maybe you are still limiting god? how can you tell baptistb ????I have seen people say these things are so!

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

So do you know anyone who has seen it? Do you know anyone who knows anyone who's seen it? Do you know anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone........

Do you have any record of it? A book? A writing? Anything? Of course you don't.

And no, I would not believe it unless I'd seen it with my own eyes.

Where are the healers? Why don't we see them going through hospitals, nursing homes, hospice care facilities?

The signs were for the apostles to authenticate the gospel as being from God. Once the church was established and scripture was complete, they ceased.

#28 Amy.G, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2012
  9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You have no idea how often Jesus did it or how many miracles He performed. They are not all recorded.

John 21:25 And there are also many other things that Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. Amen.

Why is it strange to want evidence of what you're saying?

10. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Mark 6:5 And he could do no mighty work there, except that he laid his hands on a few sick people and healed them.

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  12. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

That's the traditional saying, but that's not what the Bible says. The book of Acts testifies of believers other than the apostles exercising the gifts. Paul's letter to the church of Corinth teaches that the gifts are for the church, not just the apostles.

Jesus Himself also testified that these signs will follow those who believe, not just the apostles.

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

No wonder people mock Christians. Yeah, that's some "new" revelation alright.

14. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

And nowhere in the Bible does it say the gifts will cease when the canon was completed.

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

He was speaking to the apostles.

Are you aware that speaking in ecstatic languages is common among pagan religions? It is exactly the same as what is "spoken" in charismatic churches. It is NOT of God.

16. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great Post, Even Better for...

...for those who will enter the fray and try to tear those who believe in sign gifts operating in this day and age.

For those naysayers, on this board, I have only one question: What text (not verse) are you basing your beliefs on that limits the Power and presence of the supernatural God we serve? And just why do you believe these verses/texts would suggest that the things Jesus did while on earth cannot be accomplished by His followers?

Didn't He say (which is a promise form of saying):

1) John 1:49-50 - especially verse 50 "Jesus replied, Because I said to you, I saw you beneath the fig tree, do you believe in and rely on and trust in Me? You shall see greater things than this!" ???

2) John 14:11-13 - especially verse 12 that, "I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, if anyone steadfastly believes in Me, he will himself be able to do the things that I do; and he will do even greater things than these, because I go to the Father." ???

3) Philippians 4:13 - (AMP)"I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me [I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who [a]infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ's sufficiency]." ???

4) 1 Corinthians 14:1-2 - "EAGERLY PURSUE and seek to acquire [this] love [make it your aim, your great quest]; and earnestly desire and cultivate the spiritual endowments (gifts), especially that you may prophesy ([a]interpret the divine will and purpose in inspired preaching and teaching). For one who speaks in an [unknown] tongue speaks not to men but to God, for no one understands or catches his meaning, because in the [Holy] Spirit he utters secret truths and hidden things [not obvious to the understanding]."

5) Jesus did warn and exhort the people baout seeking signs and wonders: "Unless you people see miraculous signs and wonders," you will never believe." John 4:48 So the practice of seeking sign gifts is wrong. And I firmly support this school of thought!

SEE:http://www.intothyword.org/apps/articles/default.asp?articleid=46736&columnid=3881

Finally, let me add that for you who want to think inside the box, secure a copy of the following book (foreward by Billy Graham)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1556617399/?tag=baptis04-20

This one book may Scripturally change your mindset as to the supernatural side of God. If God did miraculous things through His Son and the Disciples, the questions remains, where in the Word does it suggest or say that the signs and wonders manifested then ended with the death of John?

And why would Jesus promise that

17. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen...

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    really...looks like he was talking to the apostles;;
    14Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.

15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

17And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

19So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.

20And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

and no where in the bible does it say signs of the apostles will continue,when the apostles are not on earth anymore.

#38 Iconoclast, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2012
  19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

And yet none of you can testify to actually having seen these signs. You're relying on pure emotion and a desire to see them.

20. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Yes, He was telling His apostles that signs would follow those who believe, meaning - those who believe.

Can't speak for those in pagan religions. Even so, that doesn't silence the Scripture from the authentic teaching concerning tongues.