1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If You Lived in King David's Time

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ktn4eg, May 27, 2012.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Just curious, but I've often wondered that if I had lived back during the closing days of King David's life, what would I have done if I had been asked to give my virgin daughter Abishag to David so that, among other things she would have to, "lie in thy [David's] bosom, that my lord the king may get heat." (I Kings 1:1-4)

What would you have done in this instance?

Would you have allowed your virgin daughter to do what Abishag did?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we were alive in King David's day, we would do exactly as those people did because that could be our cultural mindset and tradition. Plus - when the king (or his advisors speaking in his place) commanded something like this - you had no choice.

God - through the voice of Samuel - tried to tell the people this when they were screaming for a king. He told them that a king is only going to end up conscripting your sons to fight his battles and run in front of his chariots and to force your daughters to work for him as bakers, perfumers, and whatever else he needed.

It's a bizarre story indeed. If all he needed was body heat, then why didn't they send one of his many wives to cuddle up and take nap with him? Bathsheba was still quite competent and he was once VERY taken with her. I guess she had too many wrinkles by this point to do anything for him. :eek:

The think that I find the most bizarre is that the Bible said that they scoured the "whole of Israel" looking for the "most beautiful, young virgin" that they could find. Good gravy, while they were going to all of THAT trouble, they could have scrounged up more blankets! LOL!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

It's a strange tale, but it is what it is.

And - had we been there, we would have done the same.