1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured If you were an "Arminian" Baptist.....

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Michael Wrenn, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Please go into more detail, as you often do. I'd really like to see that this time. :)

I'm serious; I'd like to get more of your thoughts on it.

2. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Though it has been years since I've been a Southern Baptist, if I couldn't go to a conservative Anglican Church, I'd go to either: (1) an LCMS church; (2) a conservative Weslyan type church; or (3) Eastern Orthodox (#3 is less likely since my wife is less likely to go along with it).

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I probably would not go to an SBC church regardless as I no longer consider the SBC Baptist ... except in name. They are now a creed driven convenntion and that is not Baptist.

I do go to a Baptist church and I do not believe there anyone in the church considers themself Calvinist ... Christian, yes, Calvinist, no.

4. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I like many features of Anglicanism, but the nearest breakaway Anglican church is an hour's drive, so that's out. The only other option for me is Nazarene.

5. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Yes, I know what you mean about the SBC. They have largely become creedal, given up soul liberty, priesthood of the believer, wavering on autonomy, don't believe any longer in church-state separation. They're considering a name change; maybe they should take the name "Baptist" out and just call it the "Southern Convention".

6. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Just curious: Why did you change from SBC to Anglican?

7. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In the context it goes on to say that the believer is "complete in him." If they had not received in this initial first work of grace all that was necessary to continue their walk in him, Paul would not had said this because another second work of grace additional to what they initially received would have been necessary.

In regeneration we receive the Holy Spirit and all the fruit of the Spirit - we need nothing more except to "work out" that which we have received. To be filled with the Spirit is merely to be under his control and the evidence of that is the fruit of the Spirit being manifested. Hence, we need merely "let your light shine" rather than in need of any new light.

Many confuse the baptism in the Spirit with the filling of the Spirit. The baptism in the Spirit is a corporate, institutional work and not an individual personal work. When Peter was asked by some at the congregation at Jerusalem about what happened at the house of Cornelius, the nearest reference point that he could give was what happened "at the beginning" (Acts 11:15-16) or on the day of Pentecost. If the baptism in the Spirit were an ongoing individual experience or application Peter would not have said "at the beginning" but "since the beginning." However, the baptism in the Spirit was an Old Testament work of the Holy Spirit upon the institutional "house of God" that occurred but once at the beginning when each new house of God was built. It was the public divine accreditation by God that signified He had taken up residence and thus what was built by Moses (Ex. 40:15) was "covered AND filled" as was the new "house of God" built by Solomon (2 Chron. 7:3). The initial covering (immersion) happened but once at the beginning of each new house of God but filling happened numerous times. At the public immersion of the house of God fire would come down from heaven and light the altar. The Jews called this event "the dedication of the house of God."

On the day of Pentecost the new house of God that had been built by Christ, who was the antitype of Moses and Solomon was publicly and divinely accredited as the Shekinah glory of God "filled all the room" thus immersing the entire congregation (Acts 2:1-3) and tongues "as fire" sat upon each of the members of the new "house of God" (1 Tim. 3;15) and they were all "filled" with the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:3). This new house of God was made of "living stones" assembled together (1 Pet. 2:5).

The event at the house of Cornelius was necessary to publicly and divinely accredit the gentiles as EQUAL members in membership with the Jews in the congregation at Jerusalem. Peter had taken some brethren with him and they had baptized them in water upon this public and divine evidence that God had given EQUAL accreditation upon them as EQUAL in the new house of God. From this point forward there is no mention of the baptism John prophesied (Acts 11:15-16) because now the new house of God made no distinction between "jew or gentile" but they were regarded as EQUAL in the new House of God.

#27 The Biblicist, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2012
  8. 12strings

12strings Active Member

FYI for Crabtownboy & Michael...I have started another thread on this topic in the General Baptist Debate Section...

I would be interested to hear further explanations of these things...

9. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

I'll send you a PM.

10. billwald

billwald New Member

Col. 2:6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:......

What does "in" mean? It must be an abbreviation referring to some unwritten phrase such as "in the manner (custom, humility, example) of" or it is some kind of insider code word. "Walk ye in Joe Blow" doesn't compute, doesn't convey information.

11. 12strings

12strings Active Member

This isn't necessarily going to answer your question, but if you read Ephesians, you find the phrase "IN CHRIST" a whole lot. It must mean something.

12. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Thanks for your detailed reply. I basically agree with what you posted.

13. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I guess what it comes down to me is this: Do I give up historic and cherished Baptist principles like priesthood of the believer, autonomy, believer's baptism only, and go to the Nazarenes who practice modified congregational polity, prefer believer's baptism, don't generally hold to penal substitution, and allow women pastors. I guess I have to weigh the Baptist principles that I cherish against the Nazarene doctrinal positions that I favor and see which is more important to me -- an extremely difficult decision for me.

It would be easier if there was a General Baptist church near me, but there isn't. Although, I'm not sure what the General Baptists believe about women pastors, the atonement theories, etc.

Well, I'll stop thinking out loud, for now. :)

Thanks to all who have replied so far; I value everybody's thoughts!

14. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Depends upon the context. The idea of representation or substitution may be conveyed in some instances. In other instances it may refer to a SPHERE of influence or characterization. To walk "in the Spirit" is to walk under the influence or control of the Spirit which defines a walk characterized by the Spirit.

In this particular verse it refers to the Christlike life or a walk that characterizes Christ, The sphere of Christlikeness, under the influence of Christ, according to Christ like living. It is the same as walking "in the Spirit" or under the influence of the Spirit, or the sphere of the Spirit, or what characterizes the Spirit.

15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't most who hold to Eternal security rest that though NOT upon the Christian "keeping the faith", but that God Himself has elected us to be in Christ, sent his HS to indwell us, gave us new natures, and God will keep us unto that day of being presented to the father...

We can deny Him, but he cannotdeny himself!

A saint can go into the pig pen of the Worls, chose badly, but his new nature under conviction of HS will get him to come back eventually!

16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that we have to define Arminian theology, as some see it meaning person holds to one can become "unborn again". while others hold to it as meaning one needs to have grace of God to accept/reject jesus, but still their choice...