1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If YOU were the only Bible your children read.... ?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by dianetavegia, Jul 19, 2005.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Another thread talks about sports superstars who claim to be Christian but whose lives are filled with ex-wives, children out of wedlock, etc.

As Christian parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and friends, what should we avoid so as to be a Christ Like example for those around us?

One of my pet peeves is television shows! I don't believe Christians should watch shows like: Soap Operas (sexual situations and divorce), Will and Grace (homosexuals), Two and 1/2 Men (sex and with a small child in the house), Desperate Housewives (sexual situations and adultery), Doc Vegas, Big Brother, MTV videos, most talk shows, etc.

Studies have shown that a child under the age of 4 cannot differentiate between real and pretend and when watching television, they actually think was is on t.v. is IN their home. A t.v. show where there is violence is perceived as violence in their OWN HOME. When parents don't show disgust or appear upset, the child will become immune to or accustomed to violence, etc.

Other things YOU avoid or think should be avoided?

2. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Serious disagreements between the parents. These should take place out of earshot of the kids.

Radio turned on for background noisr when what is being broadcast has bad language and immorality as its theme and substance.

Be nice. Talk to your children in a nice pleasant tone of voice (more than what you actually FEEL like). When it comes time to discipline them and your voice changes tone then they will have a quicker response. The rest of the time (which should be the vast majority) they will have a pleasant, comfortable, secure, and loving home that they will be glad to be at.

3. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Children should ALWAYS see you "church face" at home.

Think about it.

In HIS service;
    Jim

4. OCC

OCC Guest

No...I think the church should always see your home face at church. Think about it.

5. OCC

OCC Guest

Good points Artimaeus. [​IMG] Most of the time we should talk to them in a pleasant voice and not provoke them to wrath. When it is time to discipline them they will toe the line eh?

6. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Artimaeus,

I agree with most of what you said, but I disagree about the part about children seeing their parents disagree.

I think that children need to learn how Christian parents work through disagreements in a Christian manner. I also think they need to learn that Christian parents DO sometimes disagree.

That doesn't mean I think you should hold shouting matches in front of the children. In all honesty, I think Christians need to avoid shouting matches. However, when they DO come along, I think it is vital that these parents reassure children that this is a not going to change the love, and that they let the children know that Mom and Dad reached a resolution together, because that is what Christ would want them to do.

7. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I think that you should be clear with children. Set their boundaries ahead of time. Discuss the boundary and the consequence. Then, when they violate the boundary, remind them of the discussion, and enforce the consequence. Never react suddenly and in anger. If you need a time out before disciplining, then take one first.

I think parents need to be involved in their children's lives. Talk to them. Read with them. Talk to them about God's word. Not in a "this is devotional time way," but in a "conversational" way. You tell your kids, "My friend did this today," why not, "Isn't it amazing what God did today?"

Be aware of the games your children play.

Discuss things with them. Discuss politics, news events, why you don't watch Will & Grace. Studies show that despite popular opinion, most children in loving homes follow their parents' guidance in regards to such issues later in life - IF the parents bothered to explain them.

LISTEN. Listen to your spouse. Listen to your children. Let them know you hear, and that you care.

Give loving hugs.

Let them see you working for the Lord. Take them with you when you can on mission projects. Encourage them in THEIR work for the Lord.

8. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

That's true. That is why I said SERIOUS disagreements. I guess I should have used the word intense instead. I was refering to those arguments where things are said in a way that is NOT christian like.

I have a little niece (although not so little anymore) but when she was about 5 she was staying with us for a day or so and my wife and I had a disagreement over something trivial. All of a sudden she starts crying and telling us not to fight. My wife and I were stunned, we weren't angry, and the disagreement was so mild that we didn't think a thing about it. We had merely been discussing something with which we disagreed. At first, we didn't understand why our niece had reacted so strongly. After thinking about it, we realized that she had been so used to seeing her paretns have "real" fights and had NEVER seen my wife and me so much as raise our voices at each other. It was just so out of character that it shocked her whereas, the same argument between her parents would not have even raised her eyebrow.

9. askM

askM New Member

I couldn't agree with you more.
    Especially fighting in front of the kids. I grew up with parents who only communicated by screaming and cussing each other out to the top of their lungs. It is very damaging to a child. If you disagree about something calmly, that's one thing, but really it should be handled away from the kids if possible.

1.Parents have got to stand together on discipline and other issues with their children. When mom says yes and dad says no, big problem!

2. Show that you love each other in front of the kids. There's nothing wrong with a hug or them hearing you say "I love you" to each other.

I guess I could sum this up by saying "watch your mouth". LOL.
    Keep yourself busy loving your husband/wife and serving others.

We just had a sermon Sunday night at church on "What kind of legacy will you leave".

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

AskM, I grew up in a family where the mother screamed and cussed while the father 'took it' and would head to bed right after supper.

My only brother was an alcoholic by the time he was a teen, wanted in 5 counties by time he was 15 and who has now had 6 ex wives. He's 53 now and just got fired for coming to work drunk. He's also in a cast on his left arm and right leg to his thigh from a wreck last week. No one knows where he is. He left the hospital AMA with some woman named Patsy or Patty. She's probably going to be my 7th sister in law. Shucks, I've only met 2 of them!

Some of us are crippled by our parents and some are like broken bones, badly hurt but heal even stronger. However, parents should know that what you do in front of your kids or behind closed doors DOES have an impact on your children.

I'm very, very, very unpopular for my stance on this but...

Do NOT divorce! Grow up! Don't complain! Love your spouse unconditionally! Go to the Bible when things are hard and live as God commanded! Be the best spouse you can be! Always give 100% even if the other partner gives nothing in return. God is NOT a liar and promises that all will work together for good for them who love HIM.

11. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Kids should hear parents apologize to each other and to them.

12. askM

askM New Member

Good point tator tot,
    I see nothing wrong with apologizing to our kids when we're wrong. My daughter's only 4, she's my first and only child, and I gladly tell her when I've been too harsh one her. Stuff like, don't drag out all those toys I just cleaned up. LOL. She's already heard - "sorry mommy's been in a bad mood. let's go play some puzzles" [​IMG]