1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured If you won a $1,000,000 lottery.............

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by saturneptune, Oct 26, 2013.

1. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does this not seem the same as the servant who hid is money and then rebuked for such actions?

2. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gina B, it's been estimated that as drugs are so prevalent in our society all of our money would test positive.
    (can't site a source for my critic(s) but I done read it somewhere along the line)

As for me, if I found a suitcase full of money in my back yard I'd keep it. If there was a public announcement for the lost money I'd return it as that's the honest thing to do. Otherwise, it's mine.
    (Source: HaMel rules of conduct, Chapter 10) :laugh:

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

See, I'm a big fat scaredy cat and would toss and turn between having the police announce I found it and having the bad guys come after me, and having the police think I did something wrong. Maybe slide it quietly with my big toe to the neighbors yard. :smilewinkgrin:

I might even just end up burying it because I'm just as afraid of corrupt police as I am of bad guys and might be afraid of both. "I know nothing, NOTHING!" :laugh:

4. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you'd slip into the Sargent Schultz mode, huh? I see.

So tell me Gina B., how was your relationship with your father and when did you first start fearing him? (JUST KIDDING - JUST KIDDING) :tongue3::laugh:

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Pink Freud is somewhere singing "She don't need no analyzation!" :tongue3: :laugh:

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

None, and my ultimate answer to the local church for not accepting it, besides being incredibly stupid to the church budget, is that whoever is deciding to reject the money cannot make a Scriptural case for playing the lottery being a sin.

A very Pharisee type mindset is what it is. Personally, I have never spent one penny on a lottery ticket, but part of my retirement is in the stock market. What is the difference? This is another one of the idiotic man made rules made up probably 200 years ago, and no one questioned it, because that is the way it used to be.

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

The church saturneptune and I serve once disfellowshipped a member for gambling. This was back in the late 1920s or early 1930s.

The gambling that he did? Invest in the stock market.

How times have changed.

Oh, and about lottery winnings. Why not make the devil mad and give his money for the Lord's work?

Assuming you think it's the devil's money in the first place.

Assuming you win more than you'll lose.

8. thisnumbersdisconnected

They wouldn't have to, because I wouldn't play the lottery. For me, the question is about staying away from the addiction that was my downfall, so I would never put myself in that position.

There are those who shouldn't ever stand next to a lottery display at the local convenience store, just as there are those who should never, ever set foot in a liquor store or hang around a "crack" corner.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Good post, and I agree. Those who are addicted to anything have no business around it. Not to derail my thread, and I have stated it in other threads, the reason I do not drink is not the Bible teaching to abstain, but the pattern of my drinking while in the service. I am sure you know what I am talking about, having served. You know, like I cannot remember how I got back to the ship.