1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IFB compared to Baptist churches

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by joey, Feb 5, 2012.

1. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Remember that all these things that people condemn IFP churches for also happen in Southern Baptist churches and most other (generally conservative) associations.

The simple way to find things out is to just talk to the Pastor. Why wait around for him to preach about certain subjects? When I've been looking for a new church home I simply walk up to the Pastor of the church and ask him any questions I might have. All your concerns and questions can easily be laid to rest by doing that. There's no need to sit back and observe when you can just ask.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Happens in liberal churches too.

3. matt wade

Extra-biblical things happen in liberal churches, but not the things we are discussing here (KJVO, dress requirements, etc).

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's good advice; how come none of the rest of us thought of that one?

5. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I agree... I've seen some WEIRD SBC congregations out in the sticks (and a few that were stuck back in a neighborhood in the city as well).

There is no shingle over the door that automatically stipulates weirdness or a culture that departs from the societal norm. But when a sepratist mentality combines with an archaic language style, and all is covered over with a pride that they are THIS WAY ON PURPOSE, then you end up with an IFB church.

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These are utilitarian inventions. There is no morality component to them, unlike movies, music, or TV whose content may espouse a particular moral point of view.

I see. You're just itching for a fight, but I'm not playing. To do so would be diverting from the topic of the OP.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do they approve of the internet?

8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would assume that any church with a website would approve of the internet. Sheesh!

9. joey

joey Member

It's probably more cultural than theological issues that I am wondering about. I got a good impression from the sermon that this church was very Bible focused.

I suppose the things that I am wondering are sort-of personal questions that you just don't ask until you know the individual. The last thing I want to do is make people from the congregation get defensive or self-conscious towards the newcomer.

e.g. do you really expect that a member of the congregation would feel a warm response towards a newcomer asking "why do you use an old piano and have no band like every other non-Catholic church I have been to before?"

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ultra modern!!

11. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Joey, I'm glad that you found a local Baptist church to attend.

First, I'd like to say that it's doubful that you'll find any church that is a 100% match to what you may desire in a church. Being in the southern US there are quite a few Baptist churches within reasonable driving distance. Each one is different from all the others in some manner. Sometimes these differences are immaterial from a faith standpoint. For others, the best way I can describe is that I went one time and never went back again.

As you both study the scriptures and pray for guidance from the Holy Spirit, you'll know, IMHO, in a relatively short time if this church is the one for you. That's what happened to us with the church we're members of today. We went one Sunday morning after being invited by a friend. Returned the following Sunday. After a few months, we joined that church. Both of us changed demoninations in the process.

Sure, there are some minor points that we could argue about. But those are side issues. The major point of this ministry comes from the pulpit. And, it is practiced by many (not all) of the members.

Put Christ first and give ALL the glory and praise to God.

Everything else is secondary to that.

Take your time. Watch, listen, and pray. You'll soon know, in your heart, whether you're in the right place to worship and serve the Lord.

12. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Are you sure? Perhaps they only approve of THEIR website? Seems that a lot of other things that the IFB calls sin and heartily disaprove are found all over the web.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean someone like Anderson of AZ?

14. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

No, many times what happens in those types of groups is that there is a defective Gospel and false jesus that does not save us!

Would rather be in a group that at least has right Gospel/jesus, just has problems living in the Grace of God, than churches that do teach/preach real gospel and Jesus!

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Many years ago I dated a lady who found Jesus through her studies at BYU and was definitely a believer. She left the school shortly after she found Jesus. Her parents were not happy.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my opinion, one of the strong points of fundamentalist churches is they strive to adhere to the New Testament church model. Thus, they should not be defined by what they do not advocate, but rather by what they advocate.

They accept the New Testament as their authority for faith and practice. They believe those who govern should not dictate doctrine. They believe in the priesthood of believers, and therefore not in the priesthood of professionals or scholars or any other name for dictatorial elitists who would filter our access to God.

17. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Which is precisely why their doctrines are often so far out of the mainstream and why the churches are so ineffective! One CANNOT be AGAINST everyone and everything and yet be called Christians when our Lord Himself prayed and taught that we are to be one as He and the Father are one.

18. matt wade

Do the attacks on IFB churches ever get old for you and you ilk? I'll gladly remain separate from your Sunday Coffee Shops and Social Centers.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Which NT church?

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reply to GB93433,

I guess there is more than one model found in the NT? I was thinking that they all had some common features, i.e. made up of baptized believers. Everyone was welcome, Jew or Gentile, man or woman, slave or free.

Paul taught on church leadership, i.e the selection of Elders, and Deacons, and so forth.

What we have is the rejection of the orthodox religions, and acceptance of Jesus and His teachings. Eating together and remembering Christ's sacrifice and the New Covenant in His blood. The believers were free to question those who claimed to be teaching from God's word. Everyone was encouraged to be like the noble Bereans. New believers made a public profession of faith and were baptized with water.