1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ifb/sbc

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by drfuss, Jun 29, 2006.

1. drfuss

drfuss New Member

I know very little about the IFB.

The SBC has The Baptist Faith and Message to define its beliefs. Does the IFB have a similiar document?

If so, where do I find it?

If not, is the SBC BF&M a good representation of IFB beliefs?

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hydra

To all who have an ear:

I do not mean any offense in this AT ALL. I must say that on the "git go!"

Trying to define doctrine for an IFB is like trying to kill the Hydra, the seven headed snake, in Gk mythology. Every time you cut off one head, two take its place.

They have a hard time sitting on the same platform with anyone except their "us 4 and no more" crowd. So, how in the world could any body define doctrine where all of them could agree.

No argument intended, I just calls them like I sees them. But, sometimes I don't sees 'em too good!:laugh:

sdg!

rd

3. drfuss

drfuss New Member

OK, there is no document.

How about the last question?

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

The SBC and IFB churches are pretty similar in basic doctrine--that is, the distinctives which identify us as Baptists. So in terms of doctrine, the BF&M would work for most IFBs.

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I agree.

The fact that there is no one document that defines IFB's is what keeps them 'I'.

I have had occasion to fellowship with several SBC folks and we seem to be of the same mind doctrinally. Although there are extremes in both camps, the majority of IFB and SBC have more in common than not.

6. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Sword of the Lord(STL), and Dr. Shelton Smith always talk negatives on SBC. STL won't allow SBC pastors or people to be welcome and to fellowship with IFB people. That is silly. There is no difference between SBC and IFB. Both are almost same doctrine. There is only minor difference on IFB and SBC about local church. That is no big deal.

Many IFBs have to be opening their mind and heart toward SBC people. Both are brothers, sisters in Christ.

We know there are many divisions among 'baptist' churches in America because of issues and doctrines. Why cannot all baptists get along each other?

When both SBC and IFB people die, go to heaven, there is only ONE family of God. There is no division in heaven. No big deal.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

7. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Mexdeaf writes:
    "The fact that there is no one document that defines IFB's is what keeps them 'I'. "

This is still hazy to me. On BB, the IFB is treated as a distinct group of churches. Granted they are independent as are the SBC churches, but what actually ties them together?

Are all Baptist churches that are not a part of a convention or denomination, considered IFB?

8. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jerry Falwell!

Hey guys,

From a longtime SBC member and IFB observer, I would say that Jerry Falwell's entering the SBC realm will have to go a long way to heal some of the old wounds.

Will it not?

Amen!:applause:

Or;

Oh Me!

Whatsayye?

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Hmmm, you could no more 'tie together' IFB's (or SBC's for that matter) than you could 'tie together' two cats by their tails.:smilewinkgrin:

There are in actuality very few Baptist churches that are unaffiliated with any group. You have the BBF, Southwide, FBF, and I could go on down the alphabet.

'Independent' is more a ways of saying, 'We are not affiliated with the SBC' than anything else, although there are exceptions.

10. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

We are not affiliated with anyone at all as are many churches. That said, most still have some sort of informal association but they tend to be totally non binding and unofficial.

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

To clear that up a bit, we may be as church D in felowship with churches A, O, E, K, and T. But Church K may be in fellowship with E, M, T, L, etc.
    Some over lap but not exactly the same. Thus we are independent and not tied to a specific group.
    BTWm I would Be more IRB than IFB as in reformed, not fundamental.

12. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Thanks everyone.

I think I got the IFB picture.

Concerning Jerry Falwell, he joined the SBC by joining the conservative SBC state convention. The main Virginia state convention is "moderate" and the conservative state convention broke away a few years ago. Both are recognized by the SBC as two separate Virginia conventions.