1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured IFB & the KJVO myth...

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by robycop3, Apr 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The onus is on you to prove your point from scripture before you challenge anyone else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. TurnTheTide1611

TurnTheTide1611 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am willing to provide a scriptural basis for KJB-Onlyism. (Any passages that talk about the preservation of God's words would be a good place to start. Another helpful study would be to examine all the places in the scripture where scripture is quoted, and see how many times a speaker corrects the text he is quoting.)

But I'm not sure the onus is on me to make that positive case yet.

Right now, I am merely trying to establish first that from a non-KJB-Only perspective, there is no scriptural support for which books belong in the canon. (At least there are no scriptures I am aware of that one could use to defend 66-Book-Onlyism that could not logically apply to the verses and words, instead of just the books.)

The reason I'm not presenting positive evidence for KJBO right now is because I am trying to stay somewhat on topic. This discussion started out with the OP describing the "KJVO myth" being a "man-made doctrine" because it is not found in the scripture.The only supreme reason he provided is because KJBO allegedly has no direct scriptural support. Other than that statement, it was just assumed that KJBO was a myth. (It was also called "junk" and was said to be "created by Satan.") "

If 66-Book-Onlyism is also not found in the scripture, it seems that it would follow from the OP's logic that 66-Book-Onlyism could also be claimed to be a man-made myth, being not directly stated in the Bible.

So unless the OP agrees that 66-Book-Onlyism is a man-made doctrine, isn't the onus on him to explain either why 66-book-Onlyism has scriptural support, or else withdraw the idea that the Bible needs to say something like, "The King James Bible is the exclusive word of God today in English composed of 66 books as found in an Oxford printing" or such like, in order to not be man-made myth?

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's absolutely NO Scriptural support for the KJVO myth, which is an entirely MAN-MADE false doctrine. That's why it's hard to believe the IFB fell in love with such a lie.

4. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please provide your Scriptural support for the KJVO myth. And, PLEASE, don't tell us "Psalm 12:6-7". That thingie was proven false long ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the Bible does state His Word will be preserved!!!

BUT there is NOT ONE Scripture that states that preservation is in the KJV.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The passages that talk about the preservation of God's words has not been demonstrated to support a modern KJV-only view. Which words do the Scriptures teach that God would preserve? It would be the actual, specific words that proceeded out of the mouth of God by inspiration to the prophets and apostles and that were written by them.

A consistent, sound view of the preservation of the Scriptures would be true both before and after 1611 while the KJV-only view of preservation is inconsistent. The word of God had been translated into English many years before 1611, and KJV-only advocates do not suggest that means that the words in any pre-1611 English Bible are the inspired, preserved words of God.
    KJV-only reasoning suggests that the preservation of the words of Scripture changed in 1611 to different ones rather than the exact, specific words given by inspiration of God to the prophets and apostles.

The KJV translators acknowledged that they did not provide an English rendering for each and every word that was found in their original-language texts, and they also acknowledged that they added many words for which they had no original-language words of Scripture. The KJV does not preserve every specific original-language word of Scripture given to the prophets and apostles. Over 140 words not found in the 1611 edition of the KJV were added in later KJV editions, which is another problem for any attempt to claim preservation refers to the KJV.

#86 Logos1560, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  7. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the "preservation" Scriptures are found in every valid Bible version.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, TTT - has been several comments to the fact that KJO is man-made.

I think it is time for you to give us that Scripture Support for KJO

We're waiting........................

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. TTT said he'd provide it, so I'm waiting as well.

I'm wondering if he was a "drive-by" poster who left when his bluff was called. However, I shall give him the benefit of the doubt, as we all have lives away from the keyboards.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He has made several posts in other forums.

11. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just repeated the challenge to him in the "other denoms" forum.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "When you remain silent - you have spoken" - Bobby Tutton

Evidently TTT has "spoken" looks like he cant back up his claim.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good link! "Logos" has made a much-longer list that he'd likely post here is he's asked.

And, BTW, I repeated the request for Scriptural support for the KJVO myth to TTT. Seems he just might be a "drive-thru" KJVO poater, as many of them are. But for now, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for a work schedule, computer prob, etc.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Well, he posted twice on last Friday and 8 times this past Sat - which was his last post
    Lets remind him on Friday AM!

16. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, it appears "Turn The Tide" was a "hit-n-run" poster. Evidently, he's skeedaddled when his bluff was called. There's simple NO Scriptural support for the KJVO myth, & evidently he now realizes that, but is too proud to admit it.

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its been over a year & 1/2 since TTT has posted - He was only on for a few days.

18. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This was way too informative and meaningful an answer to anything Robycop can handle....
    He just wants to trash the KJV............or the KJVO (he doesn't really differentiate).
    Responding in any intelligent manner to any thread is wasted on him.

Kudos for knowing something of what you are talking about.
    But, you are dealing with a triple-threat guy who:
    1.) Doesn't actually know what he is talking about
    2.) Absolutely THINKS he does.
    3.) Cannot possibly, under any circumstances whatsoever, be taught anything he doesn't already "know" or think he knows.

Don't waste your energy, time, effort, or years of education and hard study.
    God himself couldn't walk up to him in a three-piece suit and tell him he has a minor misunderstanding of the KJV issue even though he was otherwise 95% correct.

He would tell God to pound sand (probably with horrid grammar, syntax, spelling likely mentioning the 'boox' he has read or something etc....)
    And that he knows everything already, and way better than God does.
    He's a one-trick pony, who doesn't have a great grasp on the only pony he cares about.

19. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I'm a one-trick pony on a one-trick thread or sub-forum. But evidently you don't know a pony from a donkey, as is seen in your above post.
    I can use any grammar or syntax I choose, same as you can, so faulting me for that shows your lack of any real answers to the matters at hand.
    Not only have I shown PROOF the KJVO myth is false; I thoroughly explained the whys & wherefores on the appropriate forum. And that proof involves some trashing of the KJV & exposing some of its goofs.
    Now, the subject here is the IFB & the KJVO myth. I started it because that myth seems more-prevalent within IFB than in any other major distinct denomination, & I'm IFB myself.
    Our pastor & congregation does not follow any MAN-MADE doctrines or rules of worship, such as no pants on females, no earrings on males, etc.-nor does it believe the KJVO myth. Our pastor uses the NKJV & NASV, same as I. The only observances we follow are Communion several times a year, & foot-washing in the spring & fall, depending upon the weather, as members generally wear sandals when the observance is scheduled. It, & Communions are observed IN REMEMBRANCE OF JESUS, & His ginormous sacrifice on our behalf. Baptism is done outdoors in a creek in summer, & in cool weather, it's done in a Southern Baptist sanctuary whose leadership graciously lets us use their natatorium.
    While we call ourselves IFB, we're more non-denominational in practices & beliefs than many other IFB congregations are. But we're alike in most baptismal beliefs, & in Sola Scriptura. The KJVO myth, being man-made & false, has no home in our congregation, altho anyone may use any valid version one wishes, including the KJV. I would like to see more IFB churches quit acting like pentecostals & get away from ALL the man-made stuff, including the KJVO myth.

20. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe it's the hatred of the KJV from any point of view. I've been accused of worshiping the KJV because I rely on it as final authority. I trust the KJV I cannot trust the critical text versions.
    The only reason I can see for the hatred of the KJV is that some go for the newer versions because they can't read and understand the KJV. To me this is just plain ignorant. The Bible is not just some book. it is the only Book that brings Salvation. The newer versions In my opinion leave to much to the imagination.I realize the KJV is not perfect because it was translated by men and anything men touch brings with it mistakes. Can any of you swear your modern version is absolutely correct, or even more correct than the KJV.
    MB
    MB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.