1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IFB vs SBC...The Issue of Biblical "Separation"and why they differ!

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Gregory Perry Sr., Feb 6, 2005.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

In the early days of the SBC there were those who made it a business of raising support. This abuse led to the cooperative program. I think it is about 93 percent of the funds go to the field and 7 percent retained for administration. Anyone know any better statistic than that among mission organizations?

2. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Maybe I'm braindead but for some reason this thread is just stuck on the subject of missions.I was originally far more concerned with the ecclesiastical associations that the SBC churches or the convention at large seem to gravitate to.The stuff the IFB's are usually making a lot of noise about.Any discussion on that?

Greg Sr.

3. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

maybe so, GPsr, but I have always thought the missions ideas were a large part of what seperated IFB from SBC. Maybe they all go together?? Sorry we messed up your thread! [​IMG]

4. Baptist_Pastor/Theologian

In light of your area of interest why don't we go back to the Baptist Faith & Message 2000. Please tell me, where has the SBC erred?

Also, if we are truly born again, and not just cultural Christians, then do we all not have the same agenda? Have we not all been given the same Great Commission? And does not Christ tell us they shall know us by our love? And is this love not to include a love for one another? Did Christ give us a spirit of fear? Then why are the IFB so afraid to cooperate????

It is as if the fear of the one world order keeps them from benefiting greatly from working together. No offense, but all this talk of I want to see my missionary back here at those little dinners we have together really misses the point. Brother, if you want to see your missionary go overseas and help him build a church!

Shalom,

Pastor Bill

5. North Carolina Tentmaker

I understand what you are saying about ecclesiastical separation GPS but I am not sure what you expect to hear. For the most part IFB churches are more hesitant to join in ministries with other churches. That is just the nature of the IFB churches. If they were eager to join other churches in joint ventures they would also be more inclined to join the SBC or other local Baptist associations. SBC churches are already joined together supporting things like the mission board so they are by nature more inclined to join other churches in ministry opportunities. The thing is you can't over simplify this and lump all churches together.

A good example of this was the Jesus video a few years back (not the passion, the Jesus video). As pastor of a SBC church I supported the video. We gave out videos, mailed out videos, and gave money to the video distribution efforts that put a video in every home in our community. Most, but not all SBC churches in the area joined us in that effort. Some, but definitely a minority, of the IFB churches also helped.

You know it would be easy to lump churches together and make statements like
    Or
    While these kinds of statements may actually be true of individual churches when you try to apply them to an entire group of churches they become false.

Hey Pastor Bill
    [​IMG] I like that brother! good post.

6. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    all this talk of I want to see my missionary back here at those little dinners we have together really misses the point. Brother, if you want to see your missionary go overseas and help him build a church!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like that brother! good post.

Since it was I who mentioned that I like to meet my missionaries and fellowship with them and hear of their work on the field, I will reply to Pastor Bill.
    Sir, the wreckage of my past PREVENTS me from leaving the US. Our govenrment says, since I have three felonies, I CANNOT leave here, nor can I get a VISA, nor a passport. In light of that, I DO visit "Home-field" missionaries.
    Just FYI.
    In HIS service;
    Jim