1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IFB vs SBC

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Repent-or-Burn, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Repent-or-Burn

Repent-or-Burn New Member

"II Corinthians 6:17. Legalism can be any extreme from long hair on men, to short skirts for women, to eating in the church building (I Cor 11:21-22). CCM vs Traditional music, not only separation, but secondary separation.
    Hows that for a start?"

===

I couldn't say for certain long hair on men is a sin, per the Nazarene.
    Short skirts on women? Absolutely a sin. Not only does it tempt men to sin, it is immodest. It is not 'long,' which as I understand is emphasized with apo attached to the root.

2. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the difference between the two is that IFB are legalists and SBC are not? Your response was a very poor and biased response to the original question. SBC are denominational. IFB are not usually, but can be. The SBC formed as a collective of Baptist churches in the early 1800's. The IFB movement was a response to mainstream denominations going liberal.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The original question was
    "What are the differences, and "why?" (from scripture.)"

Actually, I answered very well. The SBC was formed for the purpose of missions. We currently use the co-op program. IFB normally supports individual missionaries via mission boards. Scripture does not endorse nor prohibit either system. In fact many SBC churches do support Independent Baptist missionaries.

When it comes to "legalism" my answer stands, as I stated before IFB normally points to I Cor. Yes, some SBC may be considered legalists and many IFB may not fully fall into that camp.

I am not saying only IFB are legalists. However, across the board, IFB tends to go in that direction more so.

By the way, IFB is a denomination - check the dictionary for ALL the definitions.

Salty

ps, I have been IFB in the past and would have no problem going back to a IFB.
    And finally, SBC churches are independent!

4. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I came out of the SBC and into an independent fundamental baptist church. I have seen the Convention take away church buildings, move pastors and direct individual churches from the state level. They also provide loan programs, placing the individual congregation into a position of servant to the Convention. Independence is not something an SBC church can proclaim unless they are not with the "program." Your caricature of IFB as trending toward legalism is a common misconception. Most IFB I know simply try to follow the Word of God and not explain away things such as:

1Co 11:14-15 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, according to scripture how long is long?

You say you were SBC previously, just wondering, how long ago was that?

Salty

PS, if the the SBC took possessions of churches either you did not have all the information, or the church had a very poor lawyer if one at all.

We had a staff member from BCNY speak at our church last month. As I introduced him, I joked by saying "Rev Jones is from Baptist Headquarters." He "rebuked" me by informing us they are NOT HQ as they have no control over a local church.

6. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    10 years

You guys have gotten even further away from the Bible than you were when I was with the Convention. You all are lawyering up? Mark that as a difference between Independent Fundamental Baptists and Southern Baptists. Being Independent, we don't have to lawyer up against an overseeing organization.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two things
    1) many of the liberals have left the SBC, since we have gotten back to Biblical standards - thanks to men like Judge Joe Pressler.
    2) Suppose there was a major split in your church and the other side took you to court - to maintain control of the building and 1,000 of dollars of assets; would you have "your side" hire a lawyer?

By the way, the SBC is NOT a overseeing organization.

8. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. The Bible tells us specifically we aren't to take another brother before a court of law to sue them. Have you all cast off the Texas Cooperative yet?

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since I don't live in Texas, enlighten me

10. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now you made me have to actually look it up. :D The Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, based mostly in Texas, I believe. The liberal arm of the SBC.

11. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

The Cooperative Baptist Fellowship is not affiliated with the SBC.

12. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, you following me around? lol. Come on now, the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship consisted of a group of Southern Baptist churches. Have they broken away or not?

13. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, I'll answer my own question. They broke away in 1991

I need to get out more.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still waiting on the answer to the question:

How long is too long? (in regards to length of hair for men)

As far as liberals - they have formed the Alliance of Baptists and the Cooperative Bap Fellowship. Two separate groups, but they are similar in belief.

Virginia and Texas each have two State conventions as Conservatives broke off their respective state groups.

And as a Conservative SBC, this is not a take over, but rather a resurgence - bringing the SBC back to its Biblical roots. :thumbs:

15. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you have to ask...then its too long.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Originally Posted by SALTCITYBAPTIST [​IMG]
    Still waiting on the answer to the question:

How long is too long? (in regards to length of hair for men)

I would say any man who has hair longer than one-half inch is sinning.

But I would appreciate a Scripture reference for (exact) length please?

17. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't say exactly how long. How are we then to set a standard? Based upon what Hollywood says. :D

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So your answer in post # 35 is incorrect?

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

This hair length debate is off topic - please return to the topic at hand.

20. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another difference between SBC and IFB would be the incidence of contemporary worship services (with exceptions on either side). SBC tends to be less conservative in music. Did someone mention this yet?