1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ignore List

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sapper Woody, Oct 8, 2014.

1. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seeing that I don't post much on this forum (it took me over 13 years just to reach 1000 posts LOL), I haven't used the ignore function.

However, I am very active on a few amateur radio / scanner forums and have used the ignore function on them. When I do use it, I generally don't make an announcement to the whole forum about it. There's no point. It's for (usually) my peace of mind, not theirs.

:)

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct protocol is "Into the killfile with thee."

Respond to someone on your Ignore List, cowardly? I don't think so. Stupid? Perhaps.

I don't know if you've noticed but the Mods are not exactly responding to issues on the board as if they were 911 calls. Also, things have to really escalate before they will ban someone.

Not just Poncho, but there are others. The basest component is more like, "I don't like what this person says, I've engaged them on it numerous times, this is the subject of most of their posts, and I'm not going to deal with it anymore, so I'll ignore him.

Example:
    "Can their evan be reel free will apart from what God grants us then?"

"Does men have free will or does have God to give it to man then?"

"Don't these verses support Armenina views on free will then?"

"Does all Calvinists agree that Man hasn't given free will until after regen/salvation then?"

3. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ugh... I think my brain hurts after reading that.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sapper Woody the ignore list largely gets used by someone when they are constantly being attacked or berated by another poster. I have used it myself. I find it rather odd someone would object to its use by using false dichotomies and hasty generalizations.

If someone else wants to use the ignore list what is it to you? There is no doubt that you have someone specifically in mind, why is it you are not talking to them directly?

If your feeling got hurt by someone else it is best to ignore them or deal with them directly in a pm.

#24 Revmitchell, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2014
  5. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

It's purely an opinion, Rev. I'm not upset if someone sees differently. But I will stand by it. My opinion is that there's no real good reason for the ignore function.

And that's where you're wrong. This is the culmination of seeing people say "I'm putting you on ignore", or "I can't see what he's saying because he's on ignore, but I bet...". Basically, as I said, it's schoolyard taunting. If someone feels a genuine need to put someone on ignore, just do it.

"Great peace have they which love thy law, and nothing shall offend them." It's pretty hard to offend a laid back guy like me, Rev. And if you've read any of my postings, you know that if I get riled, I generally apologize for my hasty posting within a day. No, no one has offended me, and as far as I know, no one has me on ignore.

The OP was supposed to focus more on my second and third points, but the thread has dictated that the first be the focus. The first point was opinion. Pure opinion. The second two were meant to be more of an admonishment.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you like, I would be glad to offend you - I would do anything for a Marine

7. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not agree with anything in that post excpet we should not taunt them or anyone.

8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahhh, but if I put someone on ignore for insulting me, I let them know that I am putting them on ignore, because a.) it's a mild insult back at them; b.) I get the last word.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    c.) they understand why they will no longer be responding back to them.

Do you know what is equally as bad as what is described in the op? That would be assuming nefarious motives of those who use the ignore list. The taunting, in this thread, of those who use the ignore list.

#29 Revmitchell, Oct 9, 2014
  10. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. I forgot that one.

Yeah, it's like they WANT to be put on someone's Ignore List, or somethin'....:laugh:

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am on a few people's ignore list. They have made sure I know. I say good for them. It's not something that bothers me.

12. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Ignore lists are for sissys! :laugh:

13. Sapper Woody

Assuming this isn't said "tongue in cheek", that's exactly the schoolyard antics I am talking about. The need to insult back and the need for the last word. Hopefully you were being facetious.

14. Sapper Woody

I am assuming no motives at all for someone using the ignore list. And if you can point out to me where I taunted anyone for using it, then please do and I'll retract that statement and issue an apology. But I don't believe I have. I have merely pointed out the childish behaviour of those who point out to people that they are on their ignore list.

Bottom line - if someone feels they must need to use it, use it. But don't gloat about it to that person. If you do, you are hurting your testimony.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are assuming motives that would lead you to believe their behavior is childish. This has led to a hasty generalization fallacy. It is also a false dichotomy fallacy. There are more possible motives than the motives you have listed as causing the use of the ignore list. You are not the only one in this thread that has done this. I did not quote anyone in that post because it wasn't directed at just one person.

#35 Revmitchell, Oct 9, 2014
  16. Sapper Woody

If their actions are childish, then it is obvious that their motives are childish. I am not saying that putting someone on ignore is childish. I am saying that putting them on ignore and then taunting them is childish.

I am not generalizing at all. I am pointing out childish behaviour and calling it childish. Again, I am NOT scrutinizing their reason for putting someone on ignore. I am pointing out their actions after they do.

I agree that there is a plethora of reasons to put someone on ignore. But it is my OPINION that none of them are good reasons. But that was never meant to be the point of the thread.

If someone needs to stay out of Applebee's to keep from drinking, do so. Same with ignore. If you absolutely can't keep from sinning without ignoring someone, do so. But it speaks to a deeper problem. Instead of treating the symptom, treat the disease.

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well it is. However, your post made it look like just putting them on ignore was.

#37 Revmitchell, Oct 9, 2014
  18. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Sapper Woody, you are going to have to get a bit more creative in your declaration of the reasons to put anyone on "ignore", cause you haven't hit mine yet.

As to taunting "them", AFAIK, these two do not even know I have done the deed; unless they have posted something to me and received no reply and deduced that fact.

Should you, like these on my ignore list, persist in forcing your ideas on this topic into virtually every thread you participate in, then you will be a third on my ignore list.

No, this IS NOT a threat, just a glimpse into my reasons for MY ignore list.

19. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I certainly cannot presume to speak for all of the Moderators; but, I take a look at every post that is reported in the forum that I moderate. Granted, I do not take action on every report. Just because something is reported doesn't mean that it violates BB posting guidelines. Just because a member thinks a violation has occurred doesn't mean that it has.

My advice, keep reporting the posts. There very well may be discipline involved that you're completely unaware of. If a poster is given a two-day, three-day, or a five-day suspension, chances are you'll no nothing about it unless they say something upon their return.

20. Sapper Woody

So, I've got a couple good guesses as to who the two on your list are, lol. But for the sake of dignity, I won't post my guesses. If you read my posts, you'll know that I am not in danger of being on your ignore list. Not for that reason, anyway.